PDA

View Full Version : 20/40 @ the Borg

12-06-2005, 12:55 AM
This is my very first 2+2 post -- so thanks for bearing with me.

10 handed 20/40 @ the Borg on Thursday in the BB with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Middle position raises -- folded around to the button who calls -- I call. 3 way action.

Flop is J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, original raiser bets, button calls -- I raise. Get one caller and the button folds.

Turn is Q -- I check, original raiser is completely miffed -- checks as well. River is an ace, I bet out he calls.

I then get roundly criticized by a player that I luckily hit a 3 outer and did I ever think I was behind? I explain that of course I did -- I check-raised the flop to find out where I was for $40. When the turn was checked through I got a free card and lucked into an ace. My guess is the original raiser held an underpair to the Jacks. My intention in check-raising the flop was both exploratory and run off the button.

Any help on whether or not I played this correctly?

sfer
12-06-2005, 01:00 AM
I'm having a good time thinking of the various, miserable 20 regulars who would get mad at you and let you know. I'm having a hard time narrowing it down.

As for the hand, I don't much like it. You will rarely get someone bet/fold on the flop in a mid-limit game so if you're going to try to push him off a hand with air, you'd better be prepared to follow through on the turn. An alternative is waiting for a better hand than Ace high when there's a bet and a call behind you.

tpir90036
12-06-2005, 01:42 AM
How about that short dude Weyland or whatever his name is. That guy gets a little grouchy sometimes.

And I agree with what Dave said. Aaron, your actions seem inconsistent unless you thought a one bullet flop raise bluff was going to knock them both out. Takes a pretty tight image to pull that off though. You might not even have the best Ace-high, nothing wrong with giving this one up on the flop. But if you are taking a stab, take a turn stab too.

12-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Fair enough about not betting the turn. I was expecting the check raise to either get me 2 folds or a reraise -- quite honestly the last thing I wanted was 2 calls. That being said I may think I had noble intentions on the turn but simply checked because I had put a move on myself. Thanks for the feedback.

As for which regular it was -- a very angry young black man with a penchant for Sean John and no apparent sense of humor.

gh9801
12-06-2005, 08:36 PM
After this flop play I'd bet the turn again, and fold to a raise

sfer
12-06-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for which regular it was -- a very angry young black man with a penchant for Sean John and no apparent sense of humor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Young like maybe 35?

sfer
12-06-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about that short dude Weyland or whatever his name is. That guy gets a little grouchy sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a NY regular who usually plays the 40. Oddly, a year ago, he was playing 4/8.

tpir90036
12-06-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a NY regular who usually plays the 40. Oddly, a year ago, he was playing 4/8.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I think i am on the same path in the opposite direction.

afish
12-06-2005, 10:47 PM
I'd just release this on the flop. Between the raiser and the caller, someone has you beat. Since you decided to check-raise, you've got to follow through with a bet on the turn.