PDA

View Full Version : How to Multi Table

12-05-2005, 10:44 PM
I'm wondering if there are any tricks to multi-tabling. I usually play 2 or maybe 3 PP 10+1s at a time. During most hands I've got a decent amount of dead time when I read 2+2, watch TV, mess with PokerAce, etc. However, every now and again when I pick up a couple of decent hands at one time, I can be a bit pushed to get all of my raising/calling/checking/calculating pot odds done. I feel like I might be able to handle 4 at once, but any more than that and I think that I'd be completely lost as to what to do when I get AK, QQ, 88 at once. This is especially true of hands that require a bit more attention to play such as SCs, medium PPs, AJ-A9, and so on.

Is there some sort of strategy that doesn't require as much thought or that directs actions more exactly. In other words, are there some tricks or strategies to playing 6-12 or more tables at once?

Thanks,
Will

rbear
12-05-2005, 10:48 PM
push smaller edges. Win more than you lose /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

rbear
12-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Remember, early stages are about survival, not building huge stacks. And pushbot every +EV spot in later levels /images/graemlins/wink.gif

12-05-2005, 10:55 PM
I think a lot of it is just experience. The better you get, and the more hands you play, the more situations you can negotiate with minimal thought. One thing that may help you is to replay your tournaments with PokerTracker, using PokerStove and SnGPT to analyze some of the decisions you made. Once you've done this on enough hands, the right play becomes more obvious and you need less time to make a decision on it.

runner4life7
12-05-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Remember, early stages are about survival, not building huge stacks. And pushbot every +EV spot in later levels /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think i agree with that statement.

12-05-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is especially true of hands that require a bit more attention to play such as SCs, medium PPs, AJ-A9, and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]Some people simply don't play those hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, early stages are about survival, not building huge stacks. And pushbot every +EV spot in later levels

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see how this works on the $27s. I still can't fathom how this works on the $215s and up. Yet I know it works because I've seen guys like ZeeJustin do it.

It looks to me basically like fold through level 3 unless you get a super-premium hand, than push on any raising hand after that. Call pushes with slightly better than opening push hands. Does that about sum it up?

I play against a guy like that on PS who 8-tables the $27s. I know to get the hell out of the way in level 1-3 if he enters a pot, but don't be scared to call his preflop push when he gets to M < 10 (worst feeling in the world is seeing him call or push your big raise preflop in the early levels). I really don't think he's a winning player vs. me on the 27s. But I guess that's not the point if he's still beating my ROI, which I'm sure he is.

Aren't most of the players at the $215s and up onto this though? How can anyone have an edge if everyone's playing the same formula? Or worse yet, they're against a few players who know what's up, and are on few enough tables thet can actually play some poker and counter the formula (assuming it can be countered). I'm currently straddling the $27s and $60s, and I've noticed a giant difference in the amount of fishiness at the $60s. I'd say on the $27s you had 3-4 out and out suckers per tourney, on the $60s seems like you're lucky to have one (which means the other one might be me, I realize). Anyway, I can't imagine there's a whole lot of out and out stupidity on the big buy-in SNGs. Am I wrong there?

Again, I know guys like Zee crush those games, I just really need to try to understand what their edge is when 8 tabling the $215s.

rbear
then how about a response

12-05-2005, 11:16 PM
What exactly is pushbotting? What kind of hands are you pushing and in what situations? Is it something to only do with the big stack, only with 4 left, only with a reasonably good hand, etc? I've heard a decent amount about it, but I've only got a very vague notion of what it is.

Thanks,
Will

rbear
12-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Pushbotting, as I understand it, is merely open pushing when blinds get large enough to make it +EV to do so. For a specific range, search posts here, purchase SNG power tools to do your own evaluation.

rbear
12-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Tell you when I get there. The 22s -55s on party aren't all that much different, maybe a few less donks, but definitely beatable. Watch a few 215s. Good players are pushbotting to perfection, and there still are fish and donks there, just relative BRs. Pushbotting, imo, is optimal SNG strategy, regardless of buy in.

12-05-2005, 11:39 PM
M < 10 as a general rule for a lot of people right?

M = (your stack)/(BB + SB + antes)

I think I drop it to 7 or so personally. But that varies, as I still have plenty of built-in erraticness to my game.

(or is this some big secret that shouldn't be getting out to the masses?)

rbear
12-05-2005, 11:45 PM
I don't use M. Stack <= 10 BB's. Unless I'm a monster tooling the bubble.

Mr_J
12-05-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Remember, early stages are about survival, not building huge stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Early levels are full of dead money, so why not build a stack off it if you can be bothered.

runner4life7
12-05-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Remember, early stages are about survival, not building huge stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Early levels are full of dead money, so why not build a stack off it if you can be bothered.

[/ QUOTE ]

rbear
12-06-2005, 12:01 AM
When I adopt this mindset, I end up becoming the donk, doing stuff like http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...e=9#Post4102419 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=4102419&an=0&page=9# Post4102419)

I think there is a happy medium. IE. Playing low-medium pp's for cheap (obviously for set value), and hands like AQs. Generally, I like tight in the beginning, and pushbot late.

runner4life7
12-06-2005, 12:04 AM
that i can agree with, it was more the way you worded it about "survival" that just sounded a little to weak to me. But i like this last post.

12-06-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering if there are any tricks to multi-tabling. I usually play 2 or maybe 3 PP 10+1s at a time. During most hands I've got a decent amount of dead time when I read 2+2, watch TV, mess with PokerAce, etc. However, every now and again when I pick up a couple of decent hands at one time, I can be a bit pushed to get all of my raising/calling/checking/calculating pot odds done. I feel like I might be able to handle 4 at once, but any more than that and I think that I'd be completely lost as to what to do when I get AK, QQ, 88 at once. This is especially true of hands that require a bit more attention to play such as SCs, medium PPs, AJ-A9, and so on.

Is there some sort of strategy that doesn't require as much thought or that directs actions more exactly. In other words, are there some tricks or strategies to playing 6-12 or more tables at once?

Thanks,
Will

[/ QUOTE ]

If your calculating pot odds it usually means your drawing to something. We pushbotters don't like to draw, its either "I got the best of it, Im pushing" or "I suck, Im folding". This eliminates alot of the thinking part of the game, makes decision-making much quicker, and leads to the ability to play 6-12 tables at once.

You (for the most part) shouldn't be playing s/c's and AJ-A9 unless it's late and the play is allin.

ilya
12-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Spend time away from the table thinking about how to play in common situations. Then, you can focus on the less common situations when you play. As you play more, fewer and fewer situations will seem unfamiliar...this should help you gradually increase the number of tables you can successfully play at once.
Also...turn off the TV. Close the web browser. Wait until the end of the day to mess with SNGPT or whatever. In short...pay attention!

If you find that you can't keep up unless you stop playing some of the more marginally profitable hands...don't stop playing those hands. Rather, reduce the number of tables until you don't run out of time playing every single hand that should be profitable. Here I'm talking about hands like AJs in EP, A9s in the hijack, 76s on the button, KQo in EMP, etc...

12-06-2005, 12:32 AM
So if the optimal strategy is to play tight in the beginning levels and then to pushbot, then what range of hands to you recommened playing the first levels?

12-06-2005, 12:51 AM
Hyped I think you play the absolute nuts in regards to starting hands. AA - QQ and maybe JJ. AK and AQ if its suited.

12-06-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hyped I think you play the absolute nuts in regards to starting hands. AA - QQ and maybe JJ. AK and AQ if its suited.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a great place to start. You might loosen up just a tiny bit once you have a better feel for the game, say after the first 1000 SnGs. Depends on how much studying/analysis you do between games.

12-06-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so if I only wait for those premium hands during early level play, then when is a good time to increase your range, and how wide u increase it? Is it when you reach a certain level (level 4 or 5?) or when u have less than 10BB or something?

12-06-2005, 07:41 AM
besides at the 300/600, my total chips won are the most at the first level (1k sngs)

in the beginning there are tons of donks calling all ins with midpair or marginal hands, so i find that level 1 is the easiest to take down.

what i play regardless of position if no raise: a10+, kj, any pp
lp only: QJs, a9, K10s maybe
if raised regardless of position: AQ+

sorry if thats really vague or undefined but i'll be happy to elaborate sometime later, its 4am and i have a paper to write =P