PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Poker Playing: Does it Work Well?

TomBrooks
12-05-2005, 10:21 PM
I was thinking about getting a wireless notebook so I could play poker while in some other places around the house besides my regular computer spot. Does wireless work well for playing poker? I would usually only be playing one table.

12-05-2005, 10:34 PM
I 4 table on a wireless laptop no problem /images/graemlins/wink.gif

12-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Speed is not an issue, it securty. Just remember not matter what kind of encryption you use on your WiFi signal it can be intercepted and hacked. 128 bit encryption will only keep out the n00bs, a real hacker can break 128 bit. If you want security don’t gamble over a WiFi connection.

KenProspero
12-06-2005, 11:09 AM
At the risk of stating the obvious .... you'll also need to get a wireless router. I swear, I had a friend who didn't understand why his wireless laptop could access the internet at his place of business but not at home.

These days, I assume that any laptop you get will be "11g" compatable or better. To get maximum speed, make sure you get an 11g router (rather than the slower 11b).

Hooking this up to your cable or DSL should be pretty easy.

Another alternative, if you get good cell phone reception where you are is to buy a card that uses the cell phone network, along with a monthly subscription for the internet for your laptop. This is the LATEST thing. However, I personally have no knowledge as to how good this service is, and I suspect it may vary location by location.

Percula
12-06-2005, 02:25 PM
In addition to the security concerns already mentioned...

The WiFI signal (11b, 11g and 11a) all have common household interference issues. Your cordless phone, your microwave, your clothes dryer, etc, etc can all cause no end of problems. Having plaster walls is a problem.

So if you are going to give it a shot, do not spead too much money on the access point and make sure you read up and secure it as best as you can and also make sure the PC is secured.

12-06-2005, 04:21 PM
All good things to add Percula. Dont get me wrong, other than gambling, home banking and shopping I use my WIFI for just about everything else.

I got around the cordless phone issue by getting the new Motorolla phones. You can tell the phone which WIFI channel you are using and have the phone never switch to it. Very handy.

Felipe
12-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Isn't it a neat concept? Sending money across space invisibly. Its like tangible wealth is meaningless.

TomBrooks
12-06-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... you'll also need to get a wireless router. ... These days, I assume that any laptop you get will be "11g" compatable or better. To get maximum speed, make sure you get an 11g router (rather than the slower 11b

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Ken,
I have Verizon Broadband Hi-Speed DSL (1.5/768 I think) and Verizon provides a 327W Westell Versalink combination Modem/Router/Hub. It has several ethernet ports and does wireless also, but I haven't ever tried the wireless part.

I don't know which "11" designation it supports, but I suspect it is probably up to date with the current common standards. I'll look into that though. I was considering looking for a used laptop as I only intend to use it for playing poker while washing the dishes, folding laundry or puttering around the workshop etc. I'll keep that 11b vs. 11g thing in mind.

Felipe
12-06-2005, 06:19 PM
I was considering looking for a used laptop as I only intend to use it for playing poker while washing the dishes, folding laundry or puttering around the workshop etc.

is this wise? Those chores are quite distracting and can take up a lot of your attention. Unless you're playing .5/1 or 1/2 or something i guess...

TomBrooks
12-06-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Speed is not an issue, it securty. Just remember not matter what kind of encryption you use on your WiFi signal it can be intercepted and hacked. 128 bit encryption will only keep out the n00bs, a real hacker can break 128 bit. If you want security don’t gamble over a WiFi connection.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi acme,

I currently have an ethernet LAN that I would continue to use to make any deposits, withdrawals or other account activities. Are there any security issues on a WIFI if I'm just logging on to a site and playing? If so, what would they be?

TomBrooks
12-06-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was considering looking for a used laptop as I only intend to use it for playing poker while washing the dishes, folding laundry or puttering around the workshop etc.

is this wise? Those chores are quite distracting and can take up a lot of your attention.

[/ QUOTE ] Hi felipe,
That's why I would only be single tabling. It's just an idea of mine to make some mundane tasks more aggreeable to do. I feel like if I had a poker game going while folding laundry, I'd be spending my time better. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'd be multitasking. LoL.

When I want to get down to some serious poker playing, I would continue to do it on my regular PC with the dual monitors.

12-06-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Speed is not an issue, it security. Just remember not matter what kind of encryption you use on your WiFi signal it can be intercepted and hacked. 128 bit encryption will only keep out the n00bs, a real hacker can break 128 bit. If you want security don’t gamble over a WiFi connection.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi acme,

I currently have an Ethernet LAN that I would continue to use to make any deposits, withdrawals or other account activities. Are there any security issues on a WIFI if I'm just logging on to a site and playing? If so, what would they be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Basically you are broadcasting your password every time you log in. It's not that hard for some kid to find your WIFI network and "sniff" all the packets looking for your password. Once they have your password who knows what they could do to your account.

It's scary how unsafe WIFI can be, but odds are you wont get hacked. I am writing to you on a WIFI network right now, so it's not like I'm some crazy WIFI hating nut, I love it. I have all my A/V equipment running over WIFI, it's really cool. I can turn my TV on from China if I needed to /images/graemlins/smile.gif It really comes down to how much of a risk are you willing to take. If you know the network you are on is unsafe just take precautions, don't use your CC while on wireless, don't log in to your bank account. Don't deposit $$$ in to your poker account. You know, the basic precautions.

Just so you know, just by odds alone your home network is safer because someone has to find it. Open networks like at a coffee shop are the worst. I can get most peoples passwords right from the air with out even doing anything illegal.

The two BEST things you can do to prevent the nerd kid next door from snooping is 1) CHANGE THE PASSWORD ON YOUR WIRELESS ROUTER - You have no idea how many people don't even know that there is a standard IP address for every router and if someone finds find yours and you haven't changed your password they have complete control of your wireless network.
2) USE ENCRYPTION - Yes it's a pain in the butt to remember some 20 letter/number password, but it will stop most people from hacking in to your network.

If you need to know how to do any of these thigs let me know I can walk you through it.

Nomad84
12-06-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll keep that 11b vs. 11g thing in mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it really even matter? I mean, isn't it the difference between 54mbps and 11mbps or something like that? Even 11mbps is faster than your internet connection, so will there be a difference for surfing the net and playing poker? I always just assumed that the only time you'd notice a difference would be when transfering files between computers wirelessly. Then again, I haven't really given it a lot of thought. Comments welcome.

Felipe
12-06-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll keep that 11b vs. 11g thing in mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it really even matter? I mean, isn't it the difference between 54mbps and 11mbps or something like that? Even 11mbps is faster than your internet connection, so will there be a difference for surfing the net and playing poker? I always just assumed that the only time you'd notice a difference would be when transfering files between computers wirelessly. Then again, I haven't really given it a lot of thought. Comments welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's right. Only the speed of files transferred b/w computers. Doesn't change your 'net speed.

Percula
12-06-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi acme,

I currently have an ethernet LAN that I would continue to use to make any deposits, withdrawals or other account activities. Are there any security issues on a WIFI if I'm just logging on to a site and playing? If so, what would they be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not Acme, but...

It is less of a concern that someone sniff or in other words capture and decode what you are sending across the WiFi like a account login as it is them being on your network and gaining access to the PC(s) that you use.

There is a group of programs out there that do nothing but log each and every keystroke you make and then send a email or upload that file to the hacker at regular periods. No need to get fancy or be in the area, just get close once, crack that ol'windows that hasn't been kept up to date and firewalled, and AV protection and they can go home and sit and wait for the information to start flowing in.

Now think of that person with your Party or Star log in. One night you login into party and try to sit your normal game and low a behold you have no money left. You investigate a little further and see that you made a cashout that morning for your whole bankroll to a different Neteller account. Opps...

Or you suddenly get a bill for the new car you just bought, opps you did not buy a new car. Opps another new bill for that now max'ed out credit card you just got. And the list just goes on and on...

Percula
12-06-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yes and no. If you use WiFi a fair amount you will notice the differnece between a strong signal and a weak signal.

Now keep in mind that you are not likely to get a optimal connection to the AP (wireless access point) unless you are in the same room with it. So which would you rather have, a weak 11b signal that is now running at less than a 1Mbps or a weak 11g single that is much fater than your Internet connection.

Also it is my experience that when you have a weak signal, you tend to drop packets and have a higher latency, neither of which is good for a online poker game. Can you say lag and not the type of player. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TomBrooks
12-06-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
keep in mind that you are not likely to get a optimal connection to the AP (wireless access point) unless you are in the same room with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I was in the same room with the router, I wouldn't need a wireless connection. I don't understand this. I wanted the wireless so I could use it in other rooms and on different floors in my house. Also, I have an old house which has plaster walls which someone mentioned above could be a problem.

12-06-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If I was in the same room with the router, I wouldn't need a wireless connection. I don't understand this. I wanted the wireless so I could use it in other rooms and on different floors in my house. Also, I have an old house which has plaster walls which someone mentioned above could be a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plaster walls, pipes, electrical conduit, cordless phones, electric razors you name it, they are all in the same RF range as WIFI. Thats why it's so cheap /images/graemlins/smile.gif You don't know if it's going to work well until you try it.

You sound freaked out now, don't worry we are just trying to warn you about the pit falls that no salesperson is going to tell you.

Percula
12-06-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You sound freaked out now, don't worry we are just trying to warn you about the pit falls that no salesperson is going to tell you.

[/ QUOTE ]

MrMoo
12-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Don't most online poker sites use SSL? Serious question as I've never bothered to actually sniff the connection. If so, why do you consider wifi more of a security risk than someone logging on at home?

Percula
12-06-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't most online poker sites use SSL? Serious question as I've never bothered to actually sniff the connection. If so, why do you consider wifi more of a security risk than someone logging on at home?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it is easier to gain access to your PC from a WiFi connection than it is from a LAN connection.

Think of it this way. A typical home network is comprised of a broadband router with a built in firewall that connects to a DSL or cable modem. Then that router connects to the home LAN. Once hacker is on your network aka your LAN, it is much easier to gain access to computing resources. But it is hard for a hacker to get on a LAN unless they break into your house.

But with WiFi the average technically inclided 14 year old can be on your WiFi network in under one hour. That is why it is important to use as many security measures as you have available to you, both from a WiFi point of view and from the PC(s) on the network point of view.

SSL is going to do nothing to stop a key logger and screen shot program for seeing a UID or grabbing the password.

Nomad84
12-06-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yes and no. If you use WiFi a fair amount you will notice the differnece between a strong signal and a weak signal.

Now keep in mind that you are not likely to get a optimal connection to the AP (wireless access point) unless you are in the same room with it. So which would you rather have, a weak 11b signal that is now running at less than a 1Mbps or a weak 11g single that is much fater than your Internet connection.

Also it is my experience that when you have a weak signal, you tend to drop packets and have a higher latency, neither of which is good for a online poker game. Can you say lag and not the type of player. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.

MrMoo
12-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Agreed. But thats a host based security issue. Not wifi related. I thought you were speaking in regards to wifi only.

Percula
12-07-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. But thats a host based security issue. Not wifi related. I thought you were speaking in regards to wifi only.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must work in the industry... It is not a specfic problem with WiFi, but without the WiFi there would a lot small security issue with a host. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MrMoo
12-07-2005, 01:39 AM
Hehe. Yeah. I do.

Sadly I don't have much experience with wireless which is why I asked my original question. I know the encryption sucks. I know SSID's are essentially broadcasted. But beyond that my knowledge of wireless security is pretty bad. So thanks for taking the time to answer.