PDA

View Full Version : program to fix harddrive problem

fluorescenthippo
12-05-2005, 09:19 PM
my computer crashed and i got the blue screen. both my hard drives arent recognized anymore. if i hook these up to another computer with windows already installed is there a program i can use to find my data or repair the drive? partition magic comes to mind..

so anyways, it cant recognize anything about the drive. not the size, the name, or the partitions.

fluorescenthippo
12-05-2005, 09:21 PM
i find it hard to believe the data is gone since the crash was only 1 second. maybe there was a short circuit or something and the drives are fried? i cannot think of another reason why both my harddrives are ruined.

yea so i lost like a few 100+ gigs of stuff. I will offer money for knowledge on how to obtain my lost data. $100+

gusser
12-06-2005, 02:58 AM
fluorescenthippo,

You need to check in BIOS if your hard drive(s) are being recognized by your computer at all. Check the owners manual of your computer to find out how to get there.(a lot of the time it's hitting delete or f2 during startup). If they are it may just be a windows issue and you can hook them up to another computer and transfer your files or reinstall windows on top of the previous version that is dead. If the hard drive(s) actually had some sort of mechanical failure your options aren't very good. You can look into a data recovery buisness that will take them apart and reclaim some/most/all of your data altough i have heard such services are expensive. There some other ways i have heard of that have low sucess rates but may be worth a shot to save a couple hundred on data recovery. If you need any more info PM me or leave it here.

gus

CORed
12-06-2005, 01:36 PM
I think it is more likely that the controller on your motherboard failed than that both hard drives failed simultaneously. I would try installing them in another computer to see if they work. If the hard drives are good, no special software should be needed. You may need to go into disk management and assign drive letters.

also, as others have suggested, check BIOS settings. Also, bood off a Windows install CD and see if the hard drives are recognized.

One more thought. Open your case and check your cable connections. Reseat both power and data connections. Also, if both drives are on one cable in a master/slave setup, try replacing the cable. It always pays to check the simple stuff first. You could also try switching the hard drives to the other controller: Probably CD and/or DVD drives are on this one (assuming you have IDE HD's. You would lose your removable drives, but this might give you a chance to recover your data. If both drives really are dead, you could try a data recovery company. This will cost some money, but it may be worth it.