PDA

View Full Version : It seemed like a good idea at the time

Inthacup
07-11-2003, 10:34 AM
Loosey goosey 3 6 game with multiway multibet pots being commonplace. 3 limpers to me in B3 I limp with J /forums/images/icons/club.gif 10 /forums/images/icons/club.gif , B2 limps, button raises, both blinds call as do other limpers. That's 6 people in for 2 bets so far and there's only 1 person in between me and button. I 3-bet. Comments,questions, concerns?

Allan
07-11-2003, 10:50 AM
I don't like it....only because I don't understand it.....

Allan

bernie
07-11-2003, 10:58 AM
well. they will think again next time you do this with Aces or Kings.

if you hit your hand, they wont likely put you on it. of course they really love it when you check fold the flop after you miss.

b

Inthacup
07-11-2003, 05:06 PM
I like this move for the reasons bernie described. It makes players question what I would limp reraise with. It causes confusion on future hands but it also helps in this specific hand. Building this pot vs. 7 opponents for multiple bets give great odds for this drawing hand. It's something I've never done before, but I think this situation is ideal for it.

Anyone disagree?

CMangano
07-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Not sure about this. You're putting in 3 bets (maybe 4) with a hand that is probably in bad shape. Pretty much all you can hope for here is a straight draw or straight flush draw. Even if you make a flush draw there is a chance your drawing to a second best hand. And if you catch a straight draw with 2 non-club suits on board, and this many players, there is a good chance 2 of your outs are gone. If you catch a 3 straight, or top pair or something else similar, how are you going to play it? It would be tough to fold with the size of the pot, but you could also be in real bad shape.

As far as deception goes, I don't like it at these limits. If the players in your game are good at reading people and picking up patterns, then I think it is ok. But if it is the typical 3/6 players, they aren't gonna remember you limp reraised with JTs anymore than they would remember you limp reraising with AA.

I think a play like this once in a blue moon probably won't make much of a difference to your bottom line in the long run. But whenever I make a bad play before the flop, it sets up bad plays for the rest of the hand. If you did it just for a one-time deal with the intention of folding the flop if it didn't hit you hard (rainbow straight draw, straight flush draw, made straight, etc.) then I think it is ok...but I still wouldn't do it.

Jeffage
07-11-2003, 05:44 PM
It's an ok variance play but I think most of your opponents will soon forget it. I mean, your hand is good multiway but you're already getting multi action for two bets. I wouldn't pound the pot here typically but don't fault you for doing it once in awhile.

Jeff

exist
07-11-2003, 08:18 PM
If it's a "loosey goosey" game as you describe, people probably aren't paying enough attention to keep track of which hands you limp reraise from late position with. who limp reraises from late position anyway? if you want to try an advertising raise with JTs, do it on the button or maybe in the CO in an unraised pot, multiway pot. 6 or more opponents is optimal for the advert raise. a 3 bet raise (especially when you may be facing a 4 bet) costs a lot more in expectation then raising in an unraised, large multiway pot. the advertising raise is a fine play, but remember you really don't want to put in that raise mathmatically, you don't want to put in that raise if you think it might 3 bet or capped preflop, and you actually have to showdown your hand and have a few people remember "Hey, he was the preflop raiser!" for the play to work and you have to playing with these people long enough to reap the rewards. I'm not saying you shouldn't try an advertising raise, just wait for better conditions and only do it rarely.