PDA

View Full Version : who killed tiberius gracchus?

housenuts
12-05-2005, 07:59 PM
So this question was on my Greek & Roman Studies 348 final exam today:

Who killed Tiberius Gracchus? Where? How?

I had absolutely zero idea so I wrote: Col. Mustard killed Tiberius Gracchus with the lead pipe in the study.

thoughts?

SuitedSixes
12-05-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are going to get this one wrong.

housenuts
12-05-2005, 08:01 PM
would putting nothing be more appropriate? my prof often makes jokes in class.

on another note i didn't really care. i'm graduating this semester and may as well have some fun.

miajag81
12-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Decent answer, but didn't he get killed by an angry mob of senators?

irishpint
12-05-2005, 08:02 PM
i want to say it was some politians who were pissed at him for giving poor people land and rights.

Jeebus
12-05-2005, 08:10 PM
after his brother marius got killed for suggesting land reform Tiberius took up politics too, he was killed by the senators too. He suggested land reform to give land to the poor people plus reduced price on bread etc. He wanted to reduce the ablilities of freemen and slaves to work jobs citizens should be able to have. There wre some other reforms but I cant think of them. I believe he was killed in 98 BCE but I can't remember cuz its been a year since I studied Rome.
His brother was killed with I believe 300 followers put in a bag and thrown in the river tibre. Tiberius died with 1000 or 3000. The Gracchi inspired most future civil reforms. They were proletariate not plebians. Marked the beginning of the Senate just killing people to keep the aristocracy going.

Sorry I like history.

12-05-2005, 08:11 PM
If you mean the 2nd roman emperor Tiberius Claudius Nero then it was either Caligula (LIKELY) or Gemellus (MAYBE)
You must remember that Tiberius almost certainly killed Caligula's father Germanicus, who was the most popular prince of the Julio-claudian royal family. Caligula spoke several times of nearly killing Tiberius with a dagger while he was asleep. Because Tiberius died in old age it was likely not a murder. Tiberius was absolutely obsessed with his own security, which is indicated in the fall of Sejanus. Tiberius expected to be killed, and fought it hard, he died old and himself said that scarcely had any king lived who had enjoyed such tranquil old age.

He knew well that Caligula was volatile, and this is why it is not an automatic assumption that Caligula was guilty.
Tiberius wrote in his diary regarding his dual successors Caligula and Gemellus

" I am nursing a Viper for the Roman people, Caligula will kill Gemellus, and then someone else will kill Caligula"

How correct the old man was!!

Cambraceres

12-05-2005, 08:14 PM
This is a horrible place to solicit such information, i just read some of the replies

GOOD LORD!!

Just PM me dude

Cambraceres

miajag81
12-05-2005, 08:15 PM
you are an idiot, tiberius gracchus is not the same guy as tiberius the emperor

12-05-2005, 08:16 PM
OHH that hurts big guy

Look I have a second star!

Jeebus
12-05-2005, 08:19 PM
I take offense to being called wrong by the guy who got the people confused. I demand satisfaction. I challenge you to a duel sir. Do you accept or are you a coward?

PoBoy321
12-05-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm a classics major, I should know this.

Of course, I don't.

SteamingFish
12-05-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Col. Mustard killed Tiberius Gracchus with the lead pipe in the study.

[/ QUOTE ]
I laughed, nh. And happy birthday!