PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Wrestling Hold?

12-05-2005, 07:44 PM
...And why? This can be as a participant or spectator.

Mine is the grapevine. Very sexy! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Skipbidder
12-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Crossface cradle. Led the team in near falls (although some of them were from tilts and turks as well) and in pins (although the refs are very reluctant to call pins on cradles...since it isn't common).

I am sure that this is not the question that you were actually asking.

BreakfastBurrito
12-05-2005, 08:11 PM
The million dollar dream.

12-05-2005, 08:19 PM
The squatting donkey

EMcWilliams
12-05-2005, 08:24 PM
I liked using the million dollar dream when my cousin and I wrestled around, but my all time favorite has to be the sharpshooter. A close second is the texas cloverleaf.

Soul Daddy
12-05-2005, 08:30 PM
I have put many people in both the Figure Four and the Torture Rack. And my friends and I would occasionally trade Rock Bottoms after a night of drinking in college. Good times.

My favorite as a spectator is probably the Pedigree. I don't really have much of a reason, it just looks cool. That crazy piledriver move that Petey Williams in TNA does is pretty sweet though.

Wait, this is about real wrestling? Bor-ing.

asofel
12-05-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Crossface cradle. Led the team in near falls (although some of them were from tilts and turks as well) and in pins (although the refs are very reluctant to call pins on cradles...since it isn't common).

I am sure that this is not the question that you were actually asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

cross face here as well...i often got paired with a really aggressive kid on our team...10 minutes of having him spin on your back and basically get punched in the temple sure was a fun way of losing weight...

i actually miss it...

WackityWhiz
12-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Hip Toss -- I matured faster than the other kids and in 8th grade I won a tournament using only this move... actually I won most of my matches with this move, but this one tourney was awesome:

Match #1: 13 seconds
Match #2: 8 seconds
Championship: 55 seconds

wait wait

I quit wresting after 9th grade cuz of a bad shoulder and during that year I hip tossed and pinned the kid who eventually became state champion... awww those were the days.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The Truth
12-05-2005, 09:42 PM
change hold to "move" and this gets better.

mblax10
12-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Shooting Star press.

If the question was most effective move, it would have to be the back elbow. That move can get you out of any situation.

TheMainEvent
12-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Mine was the figure-four leglock. Every Ric Flair match he would put this on some guy, who would struggle in pain for awhile before inevitably flipping over, which apparently "reverses" it, and now Ric is the one screaming in pain. For some reason I always found this sequence entertaining.

TheMainEvent
12-05-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mine was the figure-four leglock. Every Ric Flair match he would put this on some guy, who would struggle in pain for awhile before inevitably flipping over, which apparently "reverses" it, and now Ric is the one screaming in pain. For some reason I always found this sequence entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I could have substituted "anal sex" for "figure-four leglock" and the effect would have been the same.

bdk3clash
12-05-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That crazy piledriver move that Petey Williams in TNA does is pretty sweet though.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://img101.exs.cx/img101/6292/cd3.gif

Jack of Arcades
12-05-2005, 10:22 PM
That's called the Canadian Destroyer.

My fav is the Sharpshooter.

zuluking
12-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Best finishing move...Piledriver.

Dynasty
12-05-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's called the Canadian Destroyer.

My fav is the Sharpshooter.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's going to injure somebody doing that, if he hasn't already.

J-Lo
12-05-2005, 10:51 PM
they stopped using that move after steve austin messed up his neck 'cuz of a piledriver, i forget who did it

they also stopped the rude awaakening neck breaker, 'cuz it did break necks

they also stopped the fall from the ceiling 'cuz owen heart fell from the ceiling

do they still use the DDT?

coffeecrazy1
12-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Hold: Old Walls of Jericho, where he actually elevated the guy's body and put the weight on his arms and neck, instead of that Boston Crab-style WoJ he did once he got to the WWF...sorry...WWE.

Move: Anybody remember the Dominator?

Eurotrash
12-05-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hold: Old Walls of Jericho

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you're looking for the Lion Tamer

coffeecrazy1
12-05-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hold: Old Walls of Jericho

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you're looking for the Lion Tamer

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you...that would be the correct name.

nothumb
12-05-2005, 11:12 PM
I dunno if it's wrestling or grappling or submission or whatever, but I'm a huge fan of the rear naked choke.

NT

NutzyClutz
12-05-2005, 11:18 PM
sunset flip.

Buckmulligan
12-05-2005, 11:20 PM
mandible claw.

jacki
12-05-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they also stopped the fall from the ceiling 'cuz owen heart fell from the ceiling

[/ QUOTE ]

that's funny

McGahee
12-05-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sunset flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just once I want to see somebody win a match with this.

Dynasty
12-05-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sunset flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It hasn't happened since the 1980's.

Bob Backlund would occassionaly win his WWWF championship matches with it.

SinCityGuy
12-06-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sunset flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A more routine hold than the sunset flip is the "inside cradle". The only time I've ever seen footage of a major championship changing hands on that hold is when Terry Funk defeated Jack Brisco for the NWA title.

EMcWilliams
12-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Bret Hart beat Diesel at the 1996 Royal Rumble with an Inside Cradle for the Championship

Sightless
12-06-2005, 12:21 AM
Mandable claw aka Mr Socko, or double arm ddt

SackUp
12-06-2005, 12:39 AM
Saturday night ride and it's not even close.

Just b/c of the great name.

My favorite thing to do is stack something though. Have the grapevine and put in the 3/4 and good night irene.

god I love wrestling.

Spladle Master
12-06-2005, 12:45 AM
Spladle.

willie
12-06-2005, 01:02 AM
i know this is off topic

but spike tv has TNN wrestling on it now.

bobby the brain was just on and he had an AWFUL lisp and poor speech impediment in general- anyone have any idea what happened to the best color commentator that there was?!

imported_CaseClosed326
12-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Sharpshooter

12-06-2005, 01:15 AM
In one of the first UFC's Dan Severn did back-to-back suplexes on his opponent. That looked pretty damn cool.

Soul Daddy
12-06-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bobby the brain was just on and he had an AWFUL lisp and poor speech impediment in general- anyone have any idea what happened to the best color commentator that there was?!

[/ QUOTE ]
* Heenan has since largely recovered from throat cancer, but lost a great deal of weight, dramatically changing his appearance, and suffered a drastically changed voice. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Heenan#Post-WCW_career)

* from wikipedia

dizong
12-06-2005, 01:34 AM
camel clutch
once it's on, it's over

dizong

IHateKeithSmart
12-06-2005, 01:39 AM
small package /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Reef
12-06-2005, 01:54 AM
stunner used to be THE move back in the day

BCPVP
12-06-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dunno if it's wrestling or grappling or submission or whatever, but I'm a huge fan of the rear naked choke.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn that one woulda been mine. Out cold in seconds!

I guess a second favorite would be a tie between an achilles lock and a heel hook. Both hurt like a sons of bitchs when they're locked applied right.

jokerthief
12-06-2005, 02:05 AM
Mine is the cowboy. Almost impossible to get out of. Description below.

The Cowboy When on top push your opponent down and go for the left wrist, grabbing underneath the arm. Buck opponent forward until his left arm is to his chest or under his body maintaining the grip on the wrist the whole time. Now grab his left wrist with your right hand while you manuver your left shoulder blade on his left shoulder blade. Now use your body as a lever and wrench out his arm. Once the arm is out lay it 180° on his back, grab and secure the wrist with the right hand. Pull his wrist to the mat as forcefuly as you can. If his right arm is at his side crossface him with your left forearm until he is forced to put his arm out to avoid being flipped. Once his arm is outsrtreached go under it and grab his left wrist with your left hand while releasing with your right. After doing this scoot around his body 270° until you are perpendicular with his right shoulder. Reach over his body with your right hand and cup his chin while lifting his body and your own. Push your chest to his chest while pushing with your legs. Continue pushing until his back is 180 ° to the ground. Match over.

hhughes
12-06-2005, 03:33 AM
The infamous Ernie "The Cat" Ladd heart punch...banned in 39 states!!!!

Or Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka with the....uh, I forget what he called it, but it was the precursor to the RVD five star frog splash, or whatever its called.... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Honorable mention: Stan "The Man" Hansen's Lariat....which is just a clothesline, but a kewl name...

12-06-2005, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sunset flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnny B Badd aka Marc Mero used to do one off of the top rope as his finisher. That and the tutti frutti right hook.
"I'm a BADD man!"

12-06-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sunset flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A more routine hold than the sunset flip is the "inside cradle". The only time I've ever seen footage of a major championship changing hands on that hold is when Terry Funk defeated Jack Brisco for the NWA title.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sting beat Ric Flair with an inside cradle for his first NWA championship at the 1990 Great American Bash when Ric tried to slap on the figure four

12-06-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka with the....uh, I forget what he called it, but it was the precursor to the RVD five star frog splash, or whatever its called.... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The Superfly Superfly

btw, my faves are Sweet Chin Music, the Texas Clover Leaf and the Human Eclipse

12-06-2005, 03:43 AM
tombstone, but i havent watched wrestling for like 5-6 years

Cancer Merchant
12-06-2005, 03:51 AM
The moss covered family gradunzel.

Followed by move 67, ARM-bar.

Spladle Master
12-06-2005, 04:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mine is the cowboy. Almost impossible to get out of. Description below.

The Cowboy When on top push your opponent down and go for the left wrist, grabbing underneath the arm. Buck opponent forward until his left arm is to his chest or under his body maintaining the grip on the wrist the whole time. Now grab his left wrist with your right hand while you manuver your left shoulder blade on his left shoulder blade. Now use your body as a lever and wrench out his arm. Once the arm is out lay it 180° on his back, grab and secure the wrist with the right hand. Pull his wrist to the mat as forcefuly as you can. If his right arm is at his side crossface him with your left forearm until he is forced to put his arm out to avoid being flipped. Once his arm is outsrtreached go under it and grab his left wrist with your left hand while releasing with your right. After doing this scoot around his body 270° until you are perpendicular with his right shoulder. Reach over his body with your right hand and cup his chin while lifting his body and your own. Push your chest to his chest while pushing with your legs. Continue pushing until his back is 180 ° to the ground. Match over.

[/ QUOTE ]
This move can only be performed on people who either suck at wrestling or are much, much weaker than you. A kid on my high school team used this move so often that we named it after him.

chucksim
12-06-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sunset flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sting beat Ric Flair with an inside cradle for his first NWA championship at the 1990 Great American Bash when Ric tried to slap on the figure four

[/ QUOTE ]

Match endings like this were always great for upsets. Unexpected and made it believable, because the favorite was caught off guard, just like the fans.

McGahee
12-06-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sunset flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnny B Badd aka Marc Mero used to do one off of the top rope as his finisher. That and the tutti frutti right hook.
"I'm a BADD man!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, now that you mention it I think I remember watching Johnny B Badd winning w/ that in a Best of 3 Falls on "Saturday Night TBS" against somebody.
What about the backslide - anybody ever won with that?

McGahee
12-06-2005, 01:20 PM
FWIW I'm a fan of Macho Man's elbow as well as Ric Flair's figure 4. That was like my favorite feud ever. I was always incredibly attracted to Elizabeth for some inexplicable reason - she wasn't even that hot.
I also liked Goldust's curtain call. Again I don't know why.

12-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Hands down, the People's Elbow

Edit: obviously, this is more of a move than a hold

soko
12-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Of course it's got to be the rear naked choke, so deadly and so simple.

wdeadwyler
12-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Spadle is pretty demeaning if you can pull it off, grapevine is DEFINATELY the most painful I cant think of.

12-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Thank you for your replies (read them all). Part of my income comes from real and fantasy wrestling. I have been doing this, part time, for about 10 years. Some of your answers may help me better understand how to improve my performance in certain areas. Thank you again! /images/graemlins/wink.gif -Sharon.

Spladle Master
12-06-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Spadle is pretty demeaning if you can pull it off,

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.
[ QUOTE ]
grapevine is DEFINATELY the most painful I cant think of.

[/ QUOTE ]
You never wrestled anyone who was good at leg-riding.

asofel
12-06-2005, 06:15 PM
spladle,

its been a while, but are you talking about being on top and having your legs wrapped around theirs over then under and locking down with your feet against their feet?

schwza
12-06-2005, 06:15 PM
grapevine isn't even painful. a banana split is painful.

wdeadwyler
12-06-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
grapevine is DEFINATELY the most painful I cant think of.

[/ QUOTE ]
You never wrestled anyone who was good at leg-riding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrestled in High School and both our 215 and 189 pounder were competent leg wrestlers. If I recall correctly (which I prob dont) Grapevine and Grapes of Wrath are the same move. I remember Grapes of Wrath being put on me once as a fishy sophomoore (Fish is wreslting slang too! It means someone who flops around on the mat like a fish out of water) and it felt like my hips were being pulled out of their socket, and is the most painful memory I have from wrestling.

asofel
12-06-2005, 06:23 PM
dead,

describe? i'm trying to find a description on google but they're jumbled up...

Spladle Master
12-06-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
spladle,

its been a while, but are you talking about being on top and having your legs wrapped around theirs over then under and locking down with your feet against their feet?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a reasonably good description of leg riding.