PDA

View Full Version : AJo....how did I play this??

midwestkc
12-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Can I play this better? first hand at table so I have no reads.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (12 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

River: (16 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 19 BB, between MP3, CO and Hero.</font>

Greg J
12-05-2005, 07:47 PM
This looks okay. I typically don't raise this preflop from the blinds, but I always raise/open raise it anywhere else. If you want to that is fine -- I think it's a faily close decision.

I really can't find anything you did that I take issue with. Good hand.

sean c
12-05-2005, 07:50 PM
Nice hand against five i also just complete here. All post flop streets look very standard and nice table selection.

midwestkc
12-05-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nice table selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, earlier on that table, I flopped the nut flush with AQ, and had 2 guys pay off to the river. I play goot!

mildsauce
12-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Looks good everywhere to me. Pre-flop is close, but I like it sometimes. nh.

12-05-2005, 11:31 PM
I don't understand how you can be in the small blind on your first hand

Mathieu
12-06-2005, 12:13 AM
I think the raise preflop is marginal. You probably have the best hand and you make money with this raise, but your equity edge is not as big as if you were suited, or if you had a bigger ace like AK.

Keeping the pot small by not raising is another alternative as it magnifies the mistakes that your opponents will make by chasing.

I think the post flop play is standard. 3 bet the flop for value and protection and value bet all the way. Nice hand.

SCfuji
12-06-2005, 12:37 AM
looks good. if you knew mp3 was aggressive and dumb enough you could go for a turn check-raise.

midwestkc
12-06-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oops...musta been second hand, sorry.

since it's gone a while now, I will just fill in that MP3 had KK and took the pot.

Thebram
12-06-2005, 06:08 PM
...grunch...

I think raising AJo from the SB into a huge field is marginal. I dont like doing it, especially without knowing the players, but I dont have too much of a problem with it here.

I see no reason to slow down, and you had no other opportunity to bet, so I dont see anything wrong with the rest. The question is, do YOU think you should have slowed down?

[ QUOTE ]
Can I play this better? first hand at table so I have no reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

nit picking, but I'm sure you meant second hand at the table, since you're in the SB /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bozlax
12-06-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be the best first post eh-VAH!

12-06-2005, 07:31 PM
For me I don't like the pre flop raise.

The flop I would of just called his raise and if a K or Q showed up on the turn consider betting fold to a raise or check/folding the river. If a blank hit like it did. I would check/raise. This provides more protection than the re raise on the flop.

Just my .02

Cheers

12-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Forgive my disagreement but I've got concerns here.

I flat out don't like the AJo raise pre-flop. That's a simple pot equity from the small blind opinion. Take it as you will.

Now here's the real issue. What does leading out with that flop bet achieve? Anyone with 4 decent outs is bound to call the raise. Our hero is in the worst possibe position at the table for this hand. 5 opponents who presumably had playable hands are down the line. It is unlikely that none of them will draw out and beat those Jacks. He has but 5 outs to improve. I say check the turn to let the field indicate strength. An early bet can be called to leave things equal. A late bet can be raised to eliminate draws. No bet is unlikely. This turn bet is only an invitation to better pot odds for the draws. Check the turn with the intention of reraising a bet from late position.

Betting into these fields with a pair of Jacks and a raised pot will cost you in the long run.

12-06-2005, 08:02 PM
(Grunch)

I really am not a fan of AJo and I hate playing it out of SB especially. I know it's a premium hand and all, I forget what SSHE says to do with this hand in SB but I know I normally raise with it everywhere but the blinds. It's just sticky to play post flop.

However, with the way you played it, the flop three-bet was good. You have top pair with an overcard kicker. You're extracting bets from anyone on a straight draw, which misses on the turn, so I like that bet as well. River looks good!

12-06-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(Grunch)

You're extracting bets from anyone on a straight draw

[/ QUOTE ]

Extracting bets in a pot with enough draws to beat you most of the time. Extracting bets and offering cheap cards to build strong hands. Check that flop...unless I'm drawing down the line!