PDA

View Full Version : river quicky

joseki
12-05-2005, 07:18 PM
button is unknown.

Party Poker 10.00/20.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.00 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (3.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero???

Obviously, the best action in this situation is very player dependent, but what is your default play against an unknown?

12-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Weird hand, he checks the turn like he was on a draw. It's either a bet/fold or check/fold on the river, I'm torn. If the pot were slightly bigger, I'd definitely say bet out and see if you can steal a pot.

Spicymoose
12-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Default for me is check, but I don't really know where to bluff enough.

Lmn55d
12-05-2005, 07:31 PM
I'd check it. Yea his play is consistent with a draw, but a lot of donks play a pair this way. I have no idea why really but they do. On top of that a busted draw will sometimes bluff raise. I don't think you take it down 1 in 4.5.

joseki
12-05-2005, 07:48 PM
The reason I posted this hand is that I find most players seem to auto-bet the river OOP HU when the turn checks through. I tend to be more judicious in this situation and wonder if I'm leaving money on the table.

Against an unknow, how big does the pot need to be before a bet becomes standard for you?

Alobar
12-05-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
his play is consistent with a draw, but a lot of donks play a pair this way. I have no idea why really but they do

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I notice this alot, it makes zero sense to me.

As for the hand, I prolly just check, because I dont think he has the draw or folds often enough for it to work.

Catt
12-05-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd check it. Yea his play is consistent with a draw, but a lot of donks play a pair this way. I have no idea why really but they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally anecdotal, but I see this sort of crap at Stars all the time (seems much less so at Party / Euro, etc.).

ddubois
12-05-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
his play is consistent with a draw, but a lot of donks play a pair this way. I have no idea why really but they do

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the cheap showdown. That board is pretty scary to K4; his line avoids getting turn-CRed by a tricky draw or pair+draw hand that he's ahead of, or a king that he has hidden outs against. Additionally, it induces a ton of river bluff bets, as the respones of this thread have attested. I take this line sometimes, although probably too often.

Alobar
12-05-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the cheap showdown. That board is pretty scary to K4; his line avoids getting turn-CRed by a tricky draw or pair+draw hand that he's ahead of, or a king that he has hidden outs against. Additionally, it induces a ton of river bluff bets, as the respones of this thread have attested. I take this line sometimes, although probably too often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats a poor line to take with a hand like K4, I wouldnt really fear a turn checkraise from a thinking player in this situation, and the non thinking types aggro it up on the flop with the hands you described.

Roy6
12-05-2005, 10:22 PM
I think your flop bet sucks. With 3 broadways on the board, you have a weak draw OOP and somebody will always call.
The pot is tiny, and in the end you may well give up to J3 getting frisky.