PDA

View Full Version : who likes this raise?

DKNY
07-11-2003, 09:19 AM
3-6 hand from partypoker.

EP opened with a raise, I 3 bet in LP with QQ. EP capped, I called.

Flop was K small small

EP bet and I raised.

lil'
07-11-2003, 10:25 AM
When someone caps against me and I have Q-Q, I pray I won't see an ace or king. If he's got you beat, you're screwed. If by some chance he's behind, you'll scare him right off, so I guess I don't like it.

What is your impression of this guy? What hands will he cap with?

Barry
07-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Then EP 3 bets...

What were you trying to accomplish with your raise? Do you think that any hand that is ahead of you is going to lay it down for a flop raise? I suppose that you might get him to lay down QQ, but it's not very likely that he has that. He capped the flop, what else is he likely to have but AA, KK or AK? Is he going to lay down any of these even if he has AA and is afraid of your set of K's? I don't think so.

So, actually I hate the raise.

Inthacup
07-11-2003, 02:25 PM
I've got a feeling you got the pot. However, the majority of the time you're going to get 3-bet or he'll call you down with AK. There's currently 10.5 SB in the pot, by raising(assuming he doesn't 3-bet) you're putting in 2 SB in a 10.5 SB pot when the chances of you spiking a Q by the river is higher than 5.25:1(about twice as high). No matter what your intention here, I don't think this a good play.

anatta
07-11-2003, 02:52 PM
When someone unknown raises in EP and caps before the flop, I put him on AA, KK, AK, especially if I have QQ. If I know the player, this is especially true if I think he thinks that I play tight and respects my aggression before the flop.

Stork
07-11-2003, 03:55 PM
Even Stevie Wonder could put him on a good K or better /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

DKNY
07-11-2003, 04:34 PM
By not raising, and just folding, wouldn't that play be really weak? There's at least 10 bets in there (forgot if there were one or two callers), shouldn't I take a shot at the pot? Plus, giving a little action should help my table image.

3-6 at party is usually loose passive but at my table there were a few crazies, who would cap pre-flop, with like 74s and K4o from anywhere. Most of the players are just bad. Then again, bad players can pick up AA and KK.

Reasons for the raise: don't want to be know as tight-weak, I wanted to see where I was and take control of the hand. I couldn't just say, he must have AK, AA or KK to raise UTG and cap pre-flop. (like I said, most of the players are bad) He could've easily had JJ, 1010 or any pair, AQ, AJ, or even AXs wouldn't surprise me.

If I got 3 bet, I would've probably folded, but I didn't.

When i raised the flop, he only called.

Turn and river were blanks and he check-called me down all the way.

What do you think of the raise now?
Did I win the pot?
And what did this guy have?

D

CMangano
07-11-2003, 04:55 PM
I like the raise on the flop. If he 3-bets then you are most likely beaten (unless the guy is a complete maniac) and can fold without much regret. If he just calls then there is a chance your ahead since that K must have been as scary to him as it was to you, or he is afraid you have KK against his AA or AA against his AK. If he check-calls the turn, I would check after him on the river. The pot is pretty big, so I don't think I would put in one more big bet in a pot that I am not even sure I am winning.

So, to answer your questions:

Yes, I liked the raise.
No, I don't think you won.
I think he had AA or AK.

Inthacup
07-11-2003, 04:56 PM
What do you think of the raise now?

The same as I did before. You say there were some crazies at the table. Well, was he one of them? You didn't mention that in the intial post, you just stated he was in EP. If this is all the info that you give, we're going to have to assume he's an average player and not the kind that's going to cap with 7 4s. If he's an average, non maniac, everything I wrote before is something I still agree with. Nothing that happened after the fact is going to sway my decision of what you should have done at that time. If you have some prior knowledge that he's crazy then you played fine. If you knew nothing of him, or had mild respect for his raises(and caps) then raising the flop is going to cause you a lot of trouble.

Would you have done this against everyone at the table? Like I said before, if this is player dependant, then you should have specified that in your first post.

Did I win the pot?

That isn't important.

And what did this guy have?

What he had isn't worth speculation due to the lack of description in the original post.

DKNY
07-12-2003, 04:23 PM
CMangano,

Are you Ms. Cleo? Yeah good call. The guy had AA and took the pot. I should've checked the river since he called me on the turn.

Nottom
07-12-2003, 06:18 PM
I like it if you intend to go to the river with your QQ anyway and will fold to a 3-bet. Of course if you were planning on just showing down then I think you should check behind on the turn.

34TheTruth34
07-13-2003, 11:32 AM
He capped the flop, what else is he likely to have but AA, KK or AK?

Assuming that a low limit Party Poker player needs AA, KK, or AK to cap preflop (especially heads up) is naive and insane. I'm not saying I necessarily like his raise on the flop, but there are plenty of times where his hand will be good here. I had one Party player cap preflop with Q9o (of course he beat my KK /forums/images/icons/frown.gif )

aicesfool
07-13-2003, 12:36 PM
I'm a new player, so I could be wrong here [someone please tell me if i am]. it seems like against an average loose passive player on lower limit party this raise might not be a great idea. If he calls and bets out again on the turn then you would figure he has you beat. I suppose that may be a reason in itself to raise, but most of the time something like this occurs for me, I end up taking control and betting out each round only to be called down and lose the pot to the kings. Comments?

Mike
07-13-2003, 01:17 PM
I like them both, you need to know where you are at. Raiser could have held 88 or higher, you need an idea where your hand fits and the flop is a good place to find out. Your post flop raise could represent as much as a set of kings, so I like it if you are going to river, which you should at this point.