PDA

View Full Version : A Hand for Your Review

Festus22
07-11-2003, 08:18 AM
Early action at a full table $0.50/$1 and I'm in SB (position 1/10 - Hey, if it works for the Borg, it's works for me).

Dealt A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

7 limpers !!!
I complete
BB checks
Pot = 9 SB

Flop: A /forums/images/icons/club.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif
I check
Check
Check
Check
Check
Check (come on guys!)
Seat 7/10 bets (whew)
Call
Call
I raise
Seat 5/10 calls as do 2 others, 4 to the turn
Pot = 17SB

Turn: [A /forums/images/icons/club.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif ] 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif
I bet
5/10 and 7/10 calls
Pot = 23 SB

River: [A /forums/images/icons/club.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif ]8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

I check
5/10 bets
7/10 folds
I call

5/10 shows T /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif for 3 8's

My Play
PF - Should I have raised to try to limit the field? Folded perhaps?
Flop - I think I played it right.
Turn - Again, I think I was good. Board wasn't real scary and another CR attempt probably would have been checked through.
River - Wasn't real sure here after the 8's showed up since it was obvious by now I have a real hand and any bet callers are probably bet raisers. Should I have made the token call here? I didn't know this guy and the pot was 25 SB's to me. Seems like a no brainer but I guess I'd like reinforcement.

I'm also curious about 5/10's play. Here's my take:
Marginal but acceptable PF call with T /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif especially if there's been minimal PF raising.
Flop - Called a CR cold with bottom pair, a 3 flush and a few cards somewhat in sequence (really stretching for that one). I would have folded it. Do you agree?
Turn - Now with 6 outs and pot odds standing at 10.5:1, calling was correct.
River - Of course.

Would anyone have played this differently from either perspective?

Ed Miller
07-11-2003, 08:21 AM
Yea.. I would have bet the river... jeez. You've got top freakin two. Dude.. no checking the river there... that check was ludicrous.

Nottom
07-11-2003, 09:12 AM
PF: You aren't going to limit the field by raising from the SB, raises here are for value and AJo doesn't have much value in a big pot like this. Good Call.

Flop: I would bet out more often then not and hope to get raised so I can 3-bet.

Turn: Easy bet

River: I'd bet out here and call a raise against all but the most predictable opponents ... you have no real reason to think someone has an 8 here. Sure you would lose a bet this time but 90% of the time your hand is good here and all those missed bets add up.

Schmed
07-11-2003, 09:26 AM
No way I fold preflop and I don't raise either. None of those players are going to fold and the other reason...well has been up for much debate..... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Outside of that I dunno how you would have played it differently. Heck I would have probably bet the river.

Our hero with the 10,8d had an 8 and a diamond on the flop so I guess calling one may not be all that bad but calling 2 and then calling a turn bet that only gives him a gut shot out....I dunno....he's drawing to a 9,8,or 10. He thinks that any of those gives him a winner. Realistically he only has the 9 or the 8. He thinks he has 9 outs if I read it right so if that is the case, with 9 outs, calling one turn bet is the right play. I would have folded it on the flop if I were him. The c/r at ll usually means 2 pair or trips. It's rare that someone c/r tptk.....that is unless u know them to be a 2+2er....... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Inthacup
07-11-2003, 10:05 AM
PF-Don't raise. Just call.
Flop-Bet, raise if possible
Turn-Bet, raise if possible
River-Bet, call if raised.

If 7 people limped to me on the button I wouldn't raise with AJun, so I certainly wouldn't raise in the SB with the worst position on future rounds.

bernie
07-11-2003, 10:43 AM
yknow....it's ok to lose a pot after being in the lead early in the hand. it's going to happen. there's nothing you can do about it. aces will get cracked and flopped nut hands will fall.

you played the hand fine (although a bet on the river would be nice) you made money on the flop and turn bets. but lost the pot to a guy who went way too far with his hand. if this hand were face up, would you have played it any differently?...(not counting the river)

about 5/10s play...who cares. you like having him in the game. he doesnt even know his thought process

[censored] happens.

next hand

b