PDA

View Full Version : but it's my button!

bad beetz
07-11-2003, 04:30 AM
15/30

A bunch of people limp.

Ulysses calls a full bet on the button with 5 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

come on, guys. Let him have it. He needs it.

Rick Nebiolo
07-11-2003, 05:01 AM
beetz,

make the hand a 5d 3d instead and i like the call a lot better than with A6 offsuit. as mason would say, do you see why?

~ rick

Ulysses
07-11-2003, 05:05 AM

haakee
07-11-2003, 05:16 AM
Looks like a -EV call to me even assuming your competition is poor and your postflop skillz are good.

Tommy Angelo
07-11-2003, 03:34 PM
"Ulysses calls a full bet on the button with 5-2."

That you care tells me that he owns you.

Mike Gallo
07-11-2003, 03:48 PM
Did he flop a wheen with the straight flush draw?

He could have raised and really attacked your button.

DaBartman
07-11-2003, 03:49 PM
U,
Contrary to popular belief, the button does not convey magical powers.

bad beetz
07-11-2003, 04:10 PM
ulysses scoops big ass pot.

So here's the deal. Ulysses is undoubtedly better at post flop play than I or 98% of the people that play in that $15/$30 game. In addition to that, he has a wealth of knowledge about player tendencies because the players in that game from from a pool of 30 frequents and he knows them all. Additionally, Ulysses earns a big bet an hour in that game with enough hours to make that number correct within a buck with 95% confidence.

The thing is, I think if he tightened up he'd earn even more.

He also gets more action than I do in that game.

Ulysses
07-11-2003, 04:28 PM
The thing is, I think if he tightened up he'd earn even more.
Perhaps, but I'd probably have less fun.

He also gets more action than I do in that game.
So perhaps that first statement might not be correct.

Ulysses is undoubtedly better at post flop play than I or 98% of the people that play in that $15/$30 game.
Yeah, 98% sounds about right. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

ulysses scoops big ass pot.
Oh, come on, it was a small pot. For those who care about the gory details:

A couple of morons limp pre-flop. I feel like playing and think that given this particular lineup of players at this particular time, a somewhat unorthodox button limp from me will be the most powerful move giving me the most options post-flop. But mainly, I just feel like playing.

So, I call and see a flop of something like 6d7d8h. (4 flush + OE straight draw). Checked to me, I bet, 3 call.

The turn is 9d. Checked to me. I bet, 2 call.

The river is Th, putting a straight on the board. Checked to me. I suspect that someone might have a Jack for a higher straight, but on the other hand I think they probably would have just come out and bet that. Anyway, I don't really care since I have a flush. I bet, both call. As per plan, my hand is good.

Ulysses
07-11-2003, 04:39 PM
Another poster here (I won't mention his name, but his username intials are J.A.Sucker) and I were discussing the following:

When I raise pre-flop w/ AK and AQ and totally miss the flop, I'm much more prone to check than he is. He has a more aggressive style in certain other areas as well. Because of this, I'm able to bluff a few more pots than he is. But when he hits, he gets a little more action than I do (even though he probably plays a little tighter than I do).

So who comes out ahead? Well, in the end, we don't think it really matters. If you're super-tight and not overly aggressive, you'll get less action, but you can bluff a few extra times to make up for that. If you're a little looser or a little more aggressive, you'll get called down and lose to marginal hands more, but you can make up for that with some extra 3 and 4-bets along the way.

In the end, as long as you're making relatively reasonable decisions pre-flop and playing well post-flop, I suspect the exact details on both fronts probably don't really matter as much as we sometimes think they do.

bad beetz
07-11-2003, 04:52 PM
When I raise pre-flop w/ AK and AQ and totally miss the flop, I'm much more prone to check than he is.

I've sweated three hands where you bet the flop and turn unimproved. It seems to be your default.

My favorite it this:
You raise KQo UTG. Five people take the flop where you whif like my sister on a teeball stand. But you bet. three call. Turn bings a board of 223A. You bet. ugh.

Ulysses
07-11-2003, 05:01 PM
I've sweated three hands where you bet the flop and turn unimproved. It seems to be your default.
Good, I have you confused! Seriously, I check a lot when I miss, and sometimes when I hit. But I'm more than happy to bet unimproved if I think I have the best hand or I think my opponents can lay down slightly better hands.

You raise KQo UTG. Five people take the flop where you whif like my sister on a teeball stand. But you bet. three call. Turn bings a board of 223A. You bet. ugh.
I must have thought I had AK. Did I win?

bad beetz
07-11-2003, 05:28 PM
no. you checked the river (good job) and showed and lost to something that I would have three bet you on the flop with.

Tommy Angelo
07-11-2003, 06:31 PM
BB: "Ulysses is undoubtedly better at post flop play than I or 98% of the people that play in that $15/$30 game."

U: "Yeah, 98% sounds about right."

You know I'm not much into rating players, but in this case I'd say you guys have it right, only because you left just enough room for me.

Tommy 99

lol