PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a new PS2 game...

jasonHoldEm
12-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Here's what I have now and my ratings...as you can see I don't have a ton of recent titles (I've sorta gotten out of video games, but still like to play occasionally). Ideally I'm looking for some sort of RPG-type game, but have no clue what is out there. Also, I have no problem buying an older title if it's going to be enjoyable....it doesn't have to be cutting edge, brand new or anything.

5*'s
San Andreas

4*'s
Vice City
MGS2

3*'s
MGS3
Simpson's Hit and run
Mercenaries
Hot Shots Golf 3
Enter the Matrix
Splinter Cell
Madden 2002

"Meh" (or less)
ESPN NHL Hockey
Agent under fire
Simpson's road rage
Soul Calibur 2

Please recommend something you think I'd enjoy based on my ratings.

Thanks,
J

otis_nixon
12-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Lord of the rings ( two towers it's pretty fun) oh yeah this post is pretty dorky

jasonHoldEm
12-05-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oh yeah this post is pretty dorky

[/ QUOTE ]

Shrug...I'm in my late 20's so my coolness factor has been declining for years (and was probably never that high to start with).

J

jba
12-05-2005, 04:58 PM
my alltime favorite non-GTA game for PS2 is SSX.

pokerdirty
12-05-2005, 05:01 PM
from what i hear The Warriors (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/warriors/index.html?q=the%20warriors) is a good game. Made by the people who made the GTA games, so you should like it.

Also, if you like FPS, SOCOM 3 is out.

astroglide
12-05-2005, 05:04 PM
jason,
shadow of the colossus looks fantastic

12-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Hot shots 3 is at least 4 stars.

I just got Katamari Damacy, it retails new for $20. It is FUN! looks dumb, but is fun.

jasonHoldEm
12-05-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
jason,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does, wow. This will go on my short list for sure.

Thanks

LoaferGee12
12-05-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oh yeah this post is pretty dorky

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mason Hellmuth
12-05-2005, 05:32 PM
God of War

Also, why is MGS2 > MGS3?

12-05-2005, 05:45 PM
True Crime: Streets of LA

If you like GTA buy this. It's over a year old now so you can get it cheap/used. Lots of a$$ kicking fun /images/graemlins/smile.gif

danzasmack
12-05-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
jason,

[/ QUOTE ]

2nd that.

jasonHoldEm
12-05-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why is MGS2 > MGS3?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't like the stealth orientation/focus of MGS3...I'm clumsy and kept getting my ass shot...this is also why I wasn't a big fan of splinter cell, although they're both great games I just suck at anything involving stealth.

J

12-05-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
jason,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does, wow. This will go on my short list for sure.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I just rented this game, to sum it up in one word: frustrating. The controls suck, the camera angles are annoying and the [censored] game is hard. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I also just bought Gun, it was fun for a while but got old because it gets easier as the game progresses and it isnt very long.

jasonHoldEm
12-05-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hot shots 3 is at least 4 stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it probably should be. Had a lot of fun playing it with my friends for $5 a hole (if a hole tied we rolled the money over to the next which led to some pretty expensive missed putts), I just prefer RPG type games in general.

Does anyone have any input on the final fantasy series? I haven't played any of them since the nintendo days, but always wanted to go back and try the "new" versions.

J

pokerdirty
12-05-2005, 06:44 PM
FFX obviously. You might never get to play poker again though, that game is looooooooong. I found it a bit tedious at times, but fanboys of that series love it.

DrCool
12-05-2005, 07:06 PM
I rented The Warriors from Gamefly and overall thought it was decent. Nowhere near as good as the GTA games but it kept me entertained for a few hours. It was kind of short but after I finished I didn't really want too many more levels because they started getting a bit repetative. Overall it was fun though.

12-05-2005, 07:19 PM
All right, I'm about to add to the dorkiness of this thread substantially, but here goes my first post in OOT...

According to Game Informer magazine, the follwing games are a ten out of ten:

God of War
Resident Evil 4 (just came out for PS2)
Ratchet and Clank 3

San Andreas also got a ten, but you already have it. The only one of these I've played is Ratchet and Clank, and it's really good.

wonderwes
12-05-2005, 09:07 PM
This one is easy. The new Prince of Persia game: The two thrones. Its a very well done game.

wonderwes
12-05-2005, 09:15 PM
I will also add to the list.

New Need for Speed: Most Wanted.
Matrix: Path of Neo looks good
True Crimes: NYC
SSX On Tour
Burnout Revenge

MrTrik
12-05-2005, 09:26 PM
I'll 2nd or 3rd God of War as a good choice.

I had a blast with that game and though it's short in some respects they've done things that make replay fun for a while. I played it on normal mode, then went on to some god challenges, and then finally to God mode. So even though normal mode isn't a really long game, I got my money's worth out of the purchase. Plus it's a blast to play.

12-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Final Fantasy X is a classic game and an absolute must for an RPG fan. Give it 60-90 minutes to set up the plot and you are good to go for another 70-200 hours depending on how many sidequests you do. Final Fantasy X-2 was not that great, and 11 requires online play. Another good Squaresoft game for the PS2 is Kingdom Hearts. Its more of an action-RPG game, and if you dont mind it takes place in a disney world, it is another must play. I would also recommend FF7 and 9 if you have a ps1 memory card.