PDA

View Full Version : Good zombie movies to see?

12-05-2005, 03:51 PM
I have always been a fan of Zombie movies. I am currently trying to Netflix as many that are worth seeing. I have already queued all 4 of the Romero movies, and also the Resident Evil movies. Also I have already seen Dawn of the Dead (remake) a couple times so no need to suggest that one. Thanks in advance.

astroglide
12-05-2005, 03:57 PM
28 days later is yet another in a long series of "the first half of this movie is great" movies. the second half isn't bad, but it's nowhere near the second. still a great movie overall.

shawn of the dead, a great zombie comedy, is the same way.

maybe i should put together a 'half-movie' poll sometime. not now though, too much movie poll traffic.

diebitter
12-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Brain Dead aka Dead Alive by Peter Jackson.

Has a kung-fu vicar fighting the zombies... "I kick ass for the lord!"

Paluka
12-05-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this one. The zombie baby is fantastic.

Georgia Avenue
12-05-2005, 05:03 PM
You've got most of the bases covered there...

I've heard the Omega-man is awesome...Doesn't that have Zombies?

In a similar vein, if you can find it, is the old-school punk gore movie:

They Eat Scum (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0135674/)

diebitter
12-05-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this one. The zombie baby is fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the story behind the rat monkey. Something like "They say the rats swarmed all over the island, and raped the poor little monkeys..."

eeeewwwww!

Blarg
12-05-2005, 07:28 PM
The Omega Man is a ton of fun. They aren't quite zombies --- I dunno what they are really. In the book they were vampires, but they're something else in the movie, that passes for human.

The movie is very zombie-like in its sense of being one man against a planet of human-things. The original version with Vincent Price is also very good.

Mvcode3
12-05-2005, 07:40 PM
The old dawn of the dead. There is a sweet scene where the SWOT team blows this dudes head up for no reason. Its awesome.

Blarg
12-05-2005, 08:15 PM
The Return of the Living Dead was VERY funny. Everyone who saw it loved it, and remembers the sexy zombie skank dancing naked on top of the car trying to lure the horndogs in so she could eat their brains, and the hysterical scene of the boyfriend zombie trying to get past the locked door to his crying still alive girlfriend, soothing her by saying, "I don't want to hurt you, honey ..." and then "... I just want to eat your BRAAIIIINNNS!!" It was a riot, and actually scary at parts too. This one is in a class of its own as far as horror comedy, and it's probably my favorite zombie movie. It wasn't available for a long time, and now it released again, so jump on it. Netflix has it.

Jeebus
12-05-2005, 08:22 PM
I suggest Redneck Zombies, but only if you want to watch one of the most horribly made, yet hilarious, zombie movies ever. I'm not even sure it can be found anymore. Instead of cars they drive golf carts.

wacki
12-05-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Omega Man is a ton of fun. They aren't quite zombies --- I dunno what they are really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Odd, I didn't care for the movie. I thought the whole "we revolt against the technology users" thing was pretty effing gay. Especially when they used a catapult but refuesed to use guns on principle. Make them stupid, make them savage, but don't make them antitechnology Nazi's.

Other than that it was alright. The movie had a TON of potential but they didn't deliver IMO.

Blarg
12-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Horror films are at least half atmosphere and good moments. That's what Omega Man had. When he's wandering through the deserted city, everyone loves it and remembers those moments, and talks about how they would feel in the same situations. When he's locked up in his house and if he isn't going mad he might as well be, or probably will be soon, the last guy alive, precariously, in a planet that wants to kill him, it's pretty evocative.

This is often as good as horror movies get and what lots of us love them for. Taken as a whole they fall apart way more often than not, and so does this one. But the movie does have some set-ups that are pretty cool and make parts of it very fun. With this kind of thing it's largely a matter of taste whether you figure the good outweighs the bad, or think it matters much. If I couldn't be endlessly forgiving with horror movies, I'd have had to give up on them a long time ago.

Blarg
12-05-2005, 08:55 PM
By the way, you really should give that Vincent Price version a try. It's a lot better than Omega Man, and the story is much better when all the zombie types are really the vampires they were in the book(which is also very good).

wacki
12-05-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, you really should give that Vincent Price version a try. It's a lot better than Omega Man, and the story is much better when all the zombie types are really the vampires they were in the book(which is also very good).

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001637/

???

which one?

Blarg
12-05-2005, 09:51 PM
The book was called I am Legend, by Richard Matheson. The Vincent Price version was called The Last Man on Earth. Very good. I checked it on IMDB and the comment about Romero's film seeming in many ways an awful lot like this one is dead on. But this one came first. Price plays it straight in this one, not like some of his other over the top stuff. Very bleak.