PDA

View Full Version : Nominations for WORST BIG BUDGET Moive of All-Time

SackUp
12-05-2005, 01:42 PM
I like the poll on worst movie of all time, but it is hard to gauge when so many of the movies have not been seen by anyone. And that is likely due to the fact that the movie sucked and that there was no money to advertise the movie b/c it sucked.

So this thread for will be for nominating the Worst Big Budget Film of All-Time. I'm not sure what the exact criteria should be, but I gueess it basically needs to have cost a lot of money to make, had lots of advertising, or some really big name actors. It is more the "I'll know it when I see it standard."

Here are some starters:

War of the Worlds
Last Action Hero
The Day after Tomorrow
Pearl Harbor
Waterworld
Godzilla
Jurassic Park 2
Lost in Space

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head. Add more or argue why one should not be on the list and then we can make a poll.

Who is the suckiest?!?!

Grisgra
12-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Last Action Hero was a fantastic movie and should absolutely not make the list . . . shees.

Jurassic Park 3? And you can't create the list without including the movie that will eventually win it all -- Battlefield Earth. I'd throw Armageddon on it as well. And any James Bond film of the last five years. Oh, and the third Matrix movie.

And all three new Star Wars movies. Ugh. Phantom Menace might give Battlefield Earth a run for its money.

27offsuit
12-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Waterworld.

The 1st $100 million tank job.....

Randy_Refeld
12-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Ishtar

imported_The Vibesman
12-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Titanic
Independence Day
Natural Born Killers

pryor15
Heaven's Gate

Georgia Avenue
From the other threads:

Ishtar cost mucho dinero, but it was somewhat hilarious.
Anaconda had some decent actors, and it stunk.

1941 anybody?

diebitter
12-05-2005, 01:49 PM
If it qualifies, Highlander 2 stinks at the North pole during an ice age.

samjjones
12-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Blues Brothers 2000
Pluto Nash
Beverly Hills Cop 3
Lethal Weapon 4

Godzilla is the suckiest suck that ever sucked.

MasterShakes
If Jurassic Park 2 makes the list, I'd hope Jurassic Park 3 would too.

Independence Day needs to be included too.

Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin
Twister

I think the results will be somewhat skewed due to the recency factor of the War of the Worlds discussion.

Aloysius
12-05-2005, 01:58 PM
SackUp - nice thread -

Cutthroat Island is a piece of [censored]. Ever see this thing? Just thought it deserved a mention.

My vote has to go to Battlefield Earth though.

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/198/1552/640/battlefield_earth_john_travolta-1.jpg

Grisgra
12-05-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If Jurassic Park 2 makes the list, I'd hope Jurassic Park 3 would too.

Independence Day needs to be included too.

Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin

I think the results will be somewhat skewed due to the recency factor of the War of the Worlds discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call re the Batmans. But Batman Returns wasn't god-awful bad, just mediocre. No comparison to the body-armor-with-nipples bad of the other two movies.

samjjones
12-05-2005, 01:59 PM
The Postman
Town and Country
The Conqueror

Cancuk
12-05-2005, 02:01 PM
How about Planet of the Apes remake?
Did anybody see "The Island", without question the worst movie i've seen this year.
Island of Dr. Moreau was terrible.
Double Team
Speed 2: Cruise Control

durron597
12-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Gigli (Spent $54 million)
Baby Geniuses (spent $13 million)

dlk9s
12-05-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Godzilla

[/ QUOTE ]

jesusarenque
12-05-2005, 02:16 PM
The Cable Guy and The Net

samjjones
12-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Star Trek: Insurrection should get some love here.

Also, Superman IV.

durron597
12-05-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Cable Guy and The Net

[/ QUOTE ]

no, sooooooooo many worse movies

montechristo
12-05-2005, 02:25 PM
cmon has to be that john travolta movie no contest... what was it called, battlefield earth?

TheIrishThug
12-05-2005, 02:27 PM
I move that only one movie from a series gets put on the list. it'll prevent cluttering.

Jarassic Park 3 is worse than 2
I can't comment on the batmans
episode I probly takes it for the new star wars'

my submission:
Vanilla Sky US remake
Down to Earth (Chris Rock remake Heaven Can Wait, which was a remake of Here Comes Mr. Jordan)

DrSavage
12-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Star Wars: Phantom Menace pls tks

SackUp
12-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Time Machine
Ring 2

MrWookie47
12-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Wing Commander has to get a nomination here. Also, Anaconda.

Cancuk
12-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Here's some more:

Cutthroat Island
Wild Wild West
Dungeons and Dragons/Mortal Kombat

DrSavage
12-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Oh yeah, and Ocean's 12

drewjustdrew
12-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Attack of Clones was by far the worst Star Wars movie.

The Truth
12-05-2005, 02:44 PM
1. Origional star wars films.
<font color="white"> Its alright, not my favorite, but lots of people love it, so screw it </font>
2. Scarface
<font color="white"> I like this one; cause im a rapper. </font>
3. Old School
<font color="white"> Any movie with will is awesome. </font>
4. Rounders
<font color="white">Christ, el diablo is gonna be belligerent mad when he sees this </font>
5. Good Will Hunting
<font color="white">This movie ruled, if for no other reason than elliot smith. </font>
6. Disney's The Night Before Christmas
<font color="white">did M. Night Shamablama do this one? </font>
7. The Grinch
<font color="white"> You know, classic. </font>
8. Taxi Driver
<font color="white">Muahahahahaha </font>
9. American Beauty
<font color="white">Im running out of white text ideas </font>
10. The Deer Hunter
<font color="white"> Yea, i got nothin. </font>
11. Full Metal Jacket

12. Ben-Hur

There are many more that suck, I could go on forever.
<font color="white">The guys that don't follow white probably hate me. </font>

Blake

Landon_McFly
12-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Most of you guys are just listing movies that you don't like. The original question was what's the SINGLE WORST BIG BUDGET MOVIE.

Waterworld or Battlefield earth. I don't even think you can argue this.

samjjones
12-05-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="white"> Its alright, not my favorite, but lots of people love it, so screw it </font>
2. Scarface
3. Old School
4. Rounders
<font color="white">Christ, el diablo is gonna be belligerent mad when he sees this </font>
5. Good Will Hunting
<font color="white">This movie ruled, if for no other reason than elliot smith. </font>
7. The Grinch
8. Taxi Driver
9. American Beauty
10. The Deer Hunter
11. Full Metal Jacket

12. Ben-Hur

Blake

[/ QUOTE ]
C+ for idea, F for effort.

pauliewalnuts
12-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Truth,

Yeah, add on the Godfather, Raging Bull, Pulp Fiction, and Shawshank and you might just have the best list of worst movies ever.

durron597
12-05-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wing Commander has to get a nomination here. Also, Anaconda.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, another one I forgot for the other thread.

SossMan
12-05-2005, 02:54 PM
If Godzilla doesn't win then there is something wrong w/ OOT. Two words:

Godzilla Hides.

"We've lost him, sir"

slamdunkpro
12-05-2005, 04:22 PM
The Longest Yard remake - UGH!

WackityWhiz
12-05-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Longest Yard remake - UGH!

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i really hated this movie.. it couldn't end soon enough for me.

Also... How can anybody not like the Cable Guy, that movie fkin rules

HopeydaFish
12-05-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm surprised Howard the Duck hasn't made any of the "Worst" lists yet. It had a $37 million production budget, which was a lot in 1986. Clearly one of the worst movies of all time.

SackUp
12-05-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised Howard the Duck hasn't made any of the "Worst" lists yet. It had a $37 million production budget, which was a lot in 1986. Clearly one of the worst movies of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved it when I was 6. have not seen it since and probably for good reason. Hard pressed to make my list with such fond childhood memories.

Alexander - I thought this blew too and could not have been cheap to make. I turned it off about half way through.

HopeydaFish
12-05-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved it when I was 6. have not seen it since and probably for good reason. Hard pressed to make my list with such fond childhood memories.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a little older than you when it first came out (I would have been 12 at the time). Some of my friends saw it before I did, and they all thought it was great. However, when I finally got my parents to rent it for me, I spent most of the movie muttering "wtf" to myself as I realized that my friends were retards.

The movie wasn't originally meant solely as a kid's movie...however, small children are the only ones who were able to enjoy it.

The once and future king
12-05-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Attack of Clones was by far the worst Star Wars movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

SoCalRugger
12-05-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jurassic Park 3? And you can't create the list without including the movie that will eventually win it all -- Battlefield Earth. I'd throw Armageddon on it as well. And any James Bond film of the last five years. Oh, and the third Matrix movie.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't care what everyone else says, Armageddon was not a bad movie.

JackWilson
12-05-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL - quick! Maybe you can still edit...

HopeydaFish
12-05-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't consider a movie as "bad" if I'm entertained by it. I knew what I was paying my $$$ for when I went to see Armageddon, and that's exactly what I got. No more, no less. The same goes for "The Day after Tomorrow"...it was a cheesy and unbelievable, but it was still entertaining.

Now "Godzilla" on the other hand....ugh. I walked out after the first 30 minutes.

SackUp
12-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Any Given Sunday

Aloysius
12-05-2005, 05:16 PM
SackUp - Really? I think the movie has its really weak moments, but overall I enjoyed Any Given Sunday.

Wondering What Happened to Elizabeth Berkeley,
-Al

Georgia Avenue
12-05-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any Given Oliverstonemovie

[/ QUOTE ]

FYPlayah!!!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, he's definitely on the list for worst big-budget movie director (though he can't come close to Costner).

SackUp
12-05-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SackUp - Really? I think the movie has its really weak moments, but overall I enjoyed Any Given Sunday.

Wondering What Happened to Elizabeth Berkeley,
-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the whole movie I just sat there thinking "god this is retarded" and I'm an enormous football fan so anything sports related I typically love.

I actually got to see the movie for free and walked out of it...that's how bad it was for me. It is not on the level of others on the list...but worth a mention in my book.

imported_The Vibesman
12-05-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any Given Oliverstonemovie

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second this.

youtalkfunny
12-05-2005, 05:38 PM
I AM SMARTER THAN ALL OF YOU!!!!

Just about every movie mentioned more than once in this thread has one thing in common: I DIDN'T WATCH IT! I COULD TELL IT SUCKED!

Life is too short to spend it watching bad movies.

I almost never walk out on a movie, because I'm mighty picky about which movies to go see. $9 isn't a huge investment, but two hours of my time is.

I'm going to re-read this thread, because it makes me feel smart.

LondonBroil
12-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Battlefield Earth.

This thread is done.

MonkeeMan
12-05-2005, 05:45 PM
You should start a poll on the ability of posters to ignore capitalized words like "BIG BUDGET".

drewjustdrew
12-05-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
$9 isn't a huge investment, but two hours of my time is.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to re-read this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you a little too smart to take the time to reread this thread?

wayabvpar
12-05-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about Planet of the Apes remake?

[/ QUOTE ]

This should definitely be on the list. I nearly walked out on it, but stayed to see the end to see just how bad it would get. I am STILL in therapy.

bad beetz
12-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Battlefield Earth is #1 on my list. It think it is the worst big budget movie ever made.

Uethym
12-05-2005, 06:40 PM
This thread begins and ends with...

Judge Dredd.

SammyKid11
12-05-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2. Scarface
3. Old School
4. Rounders
5. Good Will Hunting
7. The Grinch
8. Taxi Driver
9. American Beauty
10. The Deer Hunter
11. Full Metal Jacket

12. Ben-Hur

Blake

[/ QUOTE ]

Very sneaky...it almost got past me...and I almost thought you were crazy. Good work.

wayabvpar
12-05-2005, 06:43 PM
I just remembered the D&amp;D movie with Jeremy Irons and Thora Birch. Sweet fancy Moses that was a piece of sh1t. Add that for sure.

Mvcode3
12-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Battlefield Earth, it actually managed to embarrass scientology and lets face it that’s pretty hard to do.

"DAD, Tom Cruise wont come out of the closet!"

rustyboy
12-05-2005, 06:45 PM
I add Johny Mnemonic, the movie that made me doubt the Matrix.

But if Battlefield Earth isn't number 1, i dont know what is.

private joker
12-05-2005, 06:55 PM
http://pochettescd.ifrance.com/bad_boys_2_-_av.jpg

masse75
12-05-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heaven's Gate

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for bringing up what is probably the 'original' big budget flop. Most people don't even know the story of Heaven's Gate, which is why 90% of the movies referenced are from the last 10 years.

RTFQ, people. It's BIG BUDGET. Not just a movie you hate.

private joker
12-05-2005, 08:03 PM
But Heaven's Gate is actually a pretty good movie. Box office flop does not mean bad film.

david050173
12-05-2005, 08:07 PM
There are two numbers here to consider
1) (box office gross)/(cost of movie)
2) (enjoyment)/(anticipation level)
Throw in the constraint that it has to be ~80 million in current dollars to be a big budget movie.

For number 1 it is hard to beat Cutthroat Island (10 million gross/92 million to make). For number 2, it is a toss up between highlander 2, the matrix 2 and the phantom menace. Anyone that high expectations for ATOC was in denial.

There probably should also be a category for films that ended actors/directors/studios careers.

Filip
12-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Waterworld makes me wanna hurl. Hmmmm has the postman been mentioned, i still think waterworld sucks more though.

surfinillini
12-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions

They should've just stopped with the first movie since it was so damn entertaining and novel. The next two were the absolute biggest pieces of [censored] of all time, they made decent money the 1st two weeks in the theatres but then dissappeared b/c all the bad word of mouth.

The first matrix I saw 4-5 times in the theatres. That is the most I've seen any movie in my life.

gunt
12-05-2005, 09:30 PM
did anyone see stealth with jessica biel and jamie foxx?...absolute garbage.

12-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Lots of good replies, but this thread is not over until --

ROCKY 6!!!!

TheMainEvent
12-05-2005, 09:40 PM
At the time it was made, Waterworld had the biggest budget of all time. I'm not sure that is true of any other film mentioned, the Matrix sequels perhaps?

TheMainEvent
12-05-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There probably should also be a category for films that ended actors/directors/studios careers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember the supporting actors of "Batman and Robin" (Chris O'Donnell, Uma Thurman, Alicia Silverstone) were all HUGE at the time it came out and the three of them seemed to drop off the map soon after.

SackUp
12-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Rocky 5

How can that not be on the list. JEEBUS

Though not sure how big of a budget - Stallones salary alone probably makes it as such though.

surfinillini
12-05-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rocky 5

How can that not be on the list. JEEBUS

Though not sure how big of a budget - Stallones salary alone probably makes it as such though.

[/ QUOTE ]

stallone produced that one, it was low budget rocky...their 2nd lead Tommy Gun was HIV positive so he wouldn't be gettin paid any royalties in the long run.

Definitely a -EV role...

fluxrad
12-05-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm grunching about half way through.

1. Someone said "Batman Returns" should be on the list. This man has no taste in movies. Walken's theorem - Any movie starring Christopher Walken cannot by inferrence be any worse than average. You can't argue. It's math.

2. This list needs at least a single criterion for a film to be included. That criterion should probably be "A budget of no less than X" where X is some ridiculously large number. Or maybe "grossed X" where X is some ridiculously large number. Otherwise anyone can name a relatively average-budget movie and say how awful it was (e.g. The Longest Yard), and the poll loses credibility.

12-05-2005, 10:21 PM
You guys do realize that these are all your personal opinions and the title of "WORST BIG BUDGET FILM" will never be awarded because....you all have different opinions(duh).

I worked in a movie theater for about 3 years and the two films that people walked out of disgusted the most were:

Gigli and Vanilla Sky.

12-05-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://pochettescd.ifrance.com/bad_boys_2_-_av.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

...and this movie was f*****g hilarious.

imported_The Vibesman
12-05-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Hulk" hasn't done Ang Lee's career any favors.

It's a good point about "Waterworld" and the amount of money that cost to make.

4thstreetpete
12-05-2005, 10:31 PM
I'll have to say waterworld. I remembered how excited I was at the time to see this in the theatre. After watching it, I was like WTF? they paid how much? for this crap?

I haven't seen Battlefield Earth and don't plan to.

youtalkfunny
12-05-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I never did go back and re-read it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I love playing the "I am smart" card, just to watch everybody around me go nuts, and look for ways to tear me down. Try it sometime. Start calling yourself "The Genius", and watch people go crazy.

david050173
12-05-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll have to say waterworld. I remembered how excited I was at the time to see this in the theatre. After watching it, I was like WTF? they paid how much? for this crap?

I haven't seen Battlefield Earth and don't plan to.

[/ QUOTE ]

For waterworld, the number (from imdb) are 175 million to make, 88 million us box office. While the ratio of .5 is nothing special, losing 87 million in the US does put in a special category. That sad part is that when you through in overseas and rental it made money...

david050173
12-05-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember the supporting actors of "Batman and Robin" (Chris O'Donnell, Uma Thurman, Alicia Silverstone) were all HUGE at the time it came out and the three of them seemed to drop off the map soon after.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure that wins the most talent worst movie award. "Eyes Wide Shut" might be a competitor. How can a movie with a naked Nicole Kidman have been so bad?

diebitter
12-06-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Someone said "Batman Returns" should be on the list. This man has no taste in movies. Walken's theorem - Any movie starring Christopher Walken cannot by inferrence be any worse than average. You can't argue. It's math.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent rule of thumb for moviegoing. I'd also add:

1) If a film has a nun in it, it's a good one (sister act + sister act 2 are the exceptions)

2) Any films with ships with sails are good (pirates, vikings, sinbad etc). (Cuttthroat Island and though I hate to say it 'pirates' (Polanksi one) being the exceptions)

HoldingFolding
12-06-2005, 01:56 AM
I think Guy Ritchie's new movie 'Revolver' might make it, I haven't seen it myself, but this audio review (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/fivelive_aod.shtml?fivelive/kermode230905) gives you an inkling. Or here (http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Critic_Review/Guardian_review/0,4267,1570709,00.html) if you prefer the written word.

private joker
12-06-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Walken's theorem - Any movie starring Christopher Walken cannot by inferrence be any worse than average. You can't argue. It's math.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent rule of thumb for moviegoing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

http://moviefreaks0.tripod.com/images/gigli.jpg

And don't try to get semantic and say Walken just appeared in GIGLI -- he didn't star in it -- because he didn't star in BATMAN RETURNS either. The guy is great, but he can be in some crap films.

private joker
12-06-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

"Hulk" hasn't done Ang Lee's career any favors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, he's only made what's bound to be nominated for at least 5 Oscars this year including (most likely) Best Picture. Yeah, he's in real trouble. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

hhughes
12-06-2005, 03:37 AM
Ishtar...hands down...

12-06-2005, 04:00 AM
I cannot believe no one has mention AI. That could not only be the worst biggest big budget film of all time but it could have a very good run at being worst movie of all time

SackUp
12-06-2005, 05:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot believe no one has mention AI. That could not only be the worst biggest big budget film of all time but it could have a very good run at being worst movie of all time

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, AI should indeed be on list of big budget crappers.

I'll let the nominations go on for a little longer for people who missed out today and then it is game time. I think we have enough for a solid 16 no problem.

How should seeding be done? Should we have an initial poll for seeding and then the poll or should I just take a stab based on the most support in the thread?

craig r
12-06-2005, 05:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we are counting commercials are we?

craig

daryn
12-06-2005, 06:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I never did go back and re-read it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I love playing the "I am smart" card, just to watch everybody around me go nuts, and look for ways to tear me down. Try it sometime. Start calling yourself "The Genius", and watch people go crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hear you brother!

also, like you i have not seen any of these "horrible" movies.

Piper Tim
12-06-2005, 06:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And you can't create the list without including the movie that will eventually win it all -- Battlefield Earth. I'd throw Armageddon on it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those two get my vote.