PDA

View Full Version : $20NL SNGs - Pokerstars - please explain...

kurto
12-05-2005, 01:26 PM
I like that they added this section.

I have a question. I believe there has to be some 'crazier' players on 2+2. I'd like an explanation for these kinds of calls. 2 hands in particular-

1) Its 3 handed. Though its relatively close, I have the 2nd highest chip stack (around $4000-$4500) Neither of the 3 remaining players have shown anything particularly out of line. I don't have the hand history but I believe the blinds were about 200-400

I'm on the button and have A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif so I raise it to $1200. The SB (big stack) calls. BB folds.

Flop comes 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB checks. I bet nearly the pot... $2400. (over half my stack.) He thinks.... and calls. The turn is a 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif. He checks. I feel I'm pot committed, I'm certain he doesn't have a jack, I have flush outs, possible 6 pair outs and hopefully so fold equity since he would be left with just a few hundred dollar if he loses. I go all in. He calls. River is a blank.

He turns over 3-4 offsuit.

Can ANYONE who plays this way explain the call preflop and, more importantly, on the flop. Even if you think I have overcards... who calls with a 4 high with no draws?

2) Different SNG. Different Villain. Heads Up. I have about 60% more chips then the Villain. Villain is typically very predictable. Raises pf with any 2 broadway, any suited ace, any pocket pair. Post flop- Will generally bet with any piece of the board. Will semibluff good draws. Otherwise, he will check. I play SNGs Tight/Agressive. I have never shown a bluff. Any hands that go to showdown (win or lose) I have shown a decent hand. With that in mind...

Villain and I both limp pf. I am on the button with 10-Qos.

Flop comes 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif-8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif-8 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Villain checks. I bet the pot. Villain Goes all in. I call.

Villain shows K /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ?!?!

turn and river bring 2 rags, both of them spades.

Can anyone explain these plays? It boggles my mind; one, that anyone would make these plays (I mean... bluff call with 4 high?) and, two; that they were rewarded.

soko
12-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Apparently you haven't read about calling as a bluff to take down monster pots.

miajag81
12-05-2005, 03:40 PM
They clearly have the latest Stars pattern mapper. I suggest upgrading yours.

kurto
12-06-2005, 10:08 PM
I have to assume you're being sarcastic. a 4 high doesn't really even beat most bluffs.

ZenMusician
12-06-2005, 10:16 PM
"It is strange the way the ignorant and inexperienced so often and undeservedly succeed when the informed and experienced fail."

-Mark Twain.

12-06-2005, 10:47 PM
He had a backdoor underpair draw, duh!