PDA

View Full Version : (55$) AA early position

12-05-2005, 01:26 PM
What is your preferred method for playing AA in early position with one maybe two limpars already in ahead of you. Its early in the tourney so hard to have a good read but assume the table seems is fairly typical 2+2 play. I know the preference would be to isolate a LAG but what size raise have you found to be most effective? I realize good players vary their play but what you found to provide the most desired results. I have a specific hand in a recent tourney I am referencing but wanted to get an idea of more general play instead.

12-05-2005, 01:28 PM
oops assuming healthy stack size >15 BB and remaining actors healthy as well with no dominant stacks.

citanul
12-05-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is your preferred method for playing AA in early position with one maybe two limpars already in ahead of you. Its early in the tourney so hard to have a good read but assume the table seems is fairly typical 2+2 play. I know the preference would be to isolate a LAG but what size raise have you found to be most effective? I realize good players vary their play but what you found to provide the most desired results. I have a specific hand in a recent tourney I am referencing but wanted to get an idea of more general play instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

how many handed are we?

what blinds are we at? (you say it's "early" but then you're saying around 15bb?)

what position are you in? (you say early, but there's a couple limpers already?)

what kind of tournament has "fairly typical 2+2 play?"

where did this "isolate a lag" come from? (you didn't mention any reads, in fact specifically said no reads.)

at 10/15 say, and 1000 chips, a couple limpers i raise to 75. there's basically no reason to ever limp ever. at a lower stakes game i'd consider pushing, but this isn't that.

1) there's already chips in the pot
2) there's already people who put chips in voluntarilly
3) you don't want to face a field of limpers each with better implied odds than the last
4) you if someone behind you wants to raise, you'd prefer it to be a reraise than a raise, as you can 3 bet all in instead of having to either small limp reraise or limp reraise push which would allow him an easier fold.
5) you want to charge the people behind you to get in if they want to get in, but not go all ridiculous and get no callers.
6) that's basically it with no reads and no weird stacks

c

downtown
12-05-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
assume the table seems is fairly typical 2+2 play.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are trying to say that this is a full table at the 55s, at which each player plays like a typical 2+2er, I find that hard to believe.

To address your other question, how much to raise...

I always raise between (3)(BB)+(# of limpers)(BB) and (3)(BB)+(2)(# of limpers)(BB)

So if it's level 2, with the BB=t30, and 2 limpers, I like to raise to somewhere between t150 and t210. I would call this a "standard" line for 2+2ers.

Edit: plus what cit said

12-05-2005, 02:11 PM
The specific hand in question was early level 2. Biggest stack behind me was abt 1300 and small stack in front was at 650. All others between 750-1100. However since I am a recreational player I am still trying to adopt somewhat general concepts. Its hard to ask and even more difficult to answer but sorry I am new to the SNG's and play only 4-5 tournies a night so general conceptial play is the most usefull information I can hope to process at this time. My AA play seems to leave a lot to be desired and I figured this would be the easiest hand to play (wrong!). Thanks for your response.

And yes I was laughing when I said it was typical 2+2 play but with very few showdowns at this point it was hard to get a good read. Likewise I assume at least one LAG at every table as there is always one I just had not identified him/her yet.