PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 nl live QQ feeling pressure

meleader2
12-05-2005, 11:49 AM
100max buy in, effective stacks are 180$ for hero and 200$ for villain.

villain bluffs a lot of flops then flips up K-high 40% of the time.

preflop hero has Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif on button, 5 limpers hero makes it 20$ to go, 2 callers:

flop (62$ after rake):

5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif

villain bet 15$ (his usual bluff bet) folds to hero who pushes.

4_2_it
12-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Flop looks good for QQ. If villain is the type who can call you with a worse hand, then I like it, otherwise a more normal raise might be a better line that gets over cards to fold and keeps in smaller pp.

AdamBragar
12-05-2005, 12:03 PM
I'd make this play maybe with 2 overcards or something, but here you have a good hand on a pretty good flop. Do you want him to fold a worse hand? Maybe he'll call here with 88-1010, but not much else that you beat. His bet is really weak, 15 into a 62 pot. I'd guess he has nothing or a big hand. If his bet was bigger and I thought he might continue his bluff on the turn, I might call and stick it in on any turn. As it is, I'd raise it 50 more. If he pushes then it's calling 90 into a 210 pot, which is slightly less ugly a fold then if you pot the flop with your raise.

JKratzer
12-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Unless he calls here with king high I don't like it. You just made his hand extremely easy to play, if he has you beat he calls, if not he folds. I guess he could still pay you off with lower pp, but if he's going to do that you can still get his money by playing it out.

Raise $60-80 and call any push. This allows him to re-bluff you (don't know if he does or not, but players that show K-high bluffs a lot could definitely do this.) It also charges him enough that you won't have to fear an A/K turn because you're charging him too much to draw with just overcards. If he does call I'd get the rest in on the turn and hope his pp doesn't hit.

Also, I don't think you two can have different effective stack sizes heads up.

JKratzer

Ghazban
12-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Overkill. Raise pot and push any turn.

mosuavea
12-05-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop looks good for QQ. If villain is the type who can call you with a worse hand, then I like it, otherwise a more normal raise might be a better line that gets over cards to fold and keeps in smaller pp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, seems like one of those hands where only hands that beat you are calling.

meleader2
12-05-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Overkill. Raise pot and push any turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't think he could be thinking that someone might try to play back at him at some point? what do you think he's calling a raise with pre?

i'm sure he'd be thinking if the raise to his 15$ looks like a pot builder (like some have suggested 50$) then it's an easy fold. but a push? that should throw him for a loop.

Ghazban
12-05-2005, 12:37 PM
This is live 1/2. People in live 1/2 games almost always suck really really hard at poker. They also think of bet sizes in absolute ($20) terms instead of relative (1/2 pot) terms. You have a monster on this board. You want the money to go in. It goes in easier on the installment plan. If you push, he has to make one big decision to call one big bet. if you do it in 2 steps, he makes 2 smaller decisions and is more likely to call (in my opinion). On the flop, he can think to himself "he might be bluffing, I'll take a card off". Then on the turn he can think "well, there's so much money out there now, my 77 is probably still good". The only thing you lose with this plan is if a card falls that beats you or kills your action. An example of the former would be if he would've folded AK to a flop push but calls the small bet and hits an ace or king on the turn. An example of the latter would be if he would've called a flop push with 88 but an ace falls on the turn that makes him fold to the turn push.

tdomeski
12-05-2005, 01:56 PM
pot raise would be about $100 to go for villian with a $145 stack.

i like the way OP played it.

holla.

meleader2
12-05-2005, 02:50 PM
i'm objective oriented, but at any rate for those that like to know results:

villain instacalls with A6, brick brick MHING. boring.