PDA

View Full Version : Another turn bet I had trouble figuring out

lil'
07-10-2003, 06:56 PM
OK, this hand is similar to my last hand in that a bet came from an unexpected place and I had difficulty putting him on a hand.

Paradise $5-10, full table

One EP limper, MP raises. Folded to Sb who calls. I have 4 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif in the BB and call. 4 see the flop.

K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
Checked to the raiser who bets, all call.

Turn 10 /forums/images/icons/club.gif
SB and I check, EP limper now bets into the raiser. I wasn't expecting this. What do you put him on? Is this generally a sign of strength, weakness, or insanity? FWIW, I thought he may be strong and didn't want to risk having the turn checked.

Ed Miller
07-10-2003, 07:07 PM
Looks like a K to me.

Dynasty
07-10-2003, 07:38 PM
Candidates: QJ, Kcxc (which is bad for you), a set, two-pair.

You are drawing live against all these hands but I wouldn't get tricky with him. If you hit a club or a 5 on the river, just bet out and call a raise. If you hit a 4, I would check and call.

Ed Miller
07-10-2003, 07:52 PM
I think you are giving this guy too much credit for a hand. He could easily just have top pair... checked to the raiser on the flop (just because), and then not felt threatened by the flop action. He bets the turn because he doesn't want the raiser to check if he doesn't have a K. Of course he could always have a bigger hand, but many players would always try for a checkraise in this spot with a bigger hand.

Dynasty
07-10-2003, 08:07 PM
I think it's much more common that the turn card improved his hand. QJ, Kcxc, and maybe two pair were hands that improved on the turn. I wouldn't expect to see just a King here as often.

lil'
07-10-2003, 10:59 PM
The positions both of you are taking both flashed through my brain as he bet. I ended up taking Dynasty's advice, but Majorkong was right about the hand. I called and on the river I took 1 BB from everybody when a 5 showed up. The EP player had K-Qo, and the pre-flop raiser had A-Ko. I guess the turn bet scared the A-Ko guy too.

Dynasty
07-11-2003, 11:14 AM
Since I'm loathe to admit that majorkong made a better read, I insist on pointing out that the turn bettor's hand did indeed improve on the turn. He picked up a gut-shot straight draw. However, I didn't really consider that specific hand in my earlier post.