PDA

View Full Version : 40/80 JJJ. Can I fold? Please?

piggity
12-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Good 40/80 game at the Borg.

I've been playing rock-tight & straightforwardly postflop. The villain here has pulled an all-nighter and has to be woken up to look at his cards every other hand, but otherwise plays well.

I open-raise JJ from UTG+1, folded to the villain who wakes up and 3-bets from LP. Folded to me and I call.

Flop is AJ8, two diamonds. I checkraise, and he calls.

Turn is a blank. I bet, he raises, I 3-bet, he 4-bets.

Can I fold now or do I have to call down?

All comments appreciated.

Solami17
12-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Call it.

Check/call the river

piggity
12-05-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Call it.

Check/call the river

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on why I should do this?

gaming_mouse
12-05-2005, 10:38 AM
I think there's enough chance he has 88 to call down.

12-05-2005, 10:47 AM
I'd reluctantly call down... there's a chance he has 88, there's an outside chance he's overplaying the hell out of AJ or a (nut) flush draw w/ AK diamonds if the A was the non-diamond.... I just have a problem having a strong enough read on a guy who's asleep to lay down a set of J's here.... if you have an unbelievable read on the guy and have played with him many times, then fold it, but otherwise I call

12-05-2005, 10:50 AM
either call down, or fold.

in these ituation, overthe long run, i believe it's probably best to fold.

Chris Daddy Cool
12-05-2005, 10:52 AM
pretty close to a fold on thought but you ought to be calling this one down since 88 is a real possiblity and AJ has a possibility too.

12-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Call down. He might have AJ, 88 or perhaps he has finally become frustrated with a flush draw or so.

12-06-2005, 12:28 PM
i like betting out in this flop first of all.. since your opponent probably has to have an A or something strong to call you.. so hes coming at that point anyways. maybe he thinks you've got AQ, and hes holding AK.

im probably calling the 4-bet on the turn.. check/call the river if you're really afraid of top set that much.

also.. what are your reads? did he seem awakened by his hand that much?

12-06-2005, 12:33 PM
because with the amount of money in the pot.. the information you've presented.. (opponent is tired.. and thats the only read you've presented).. there are any number of 2nd best hands that he can have here.

everybody says check call the river.. im almost inclined to say bet into the non-diamond river for value.. if he raises you have to call unless you're SURE he has AA. chances are he has AdKd or AJ and possibly 88.

take advantage of the tired guys! they may be good players but if hes really tired he might not give you credit for a better set here.. talking himself out of it.

flawless_victory
12-06-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can I fold now ?

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, i think u can.

12-06-2005, 09:21 PM
I would never fold here for two reasons: 1. there's a lot of money in that pot; and 2. If I were in his shoes, I'd play 88 or AJ in a similar fashion. And with approx. 11.5 BB in the pot, you don't have to win this too often to make a call correct.

I agree with previous comments that advise calling the turn, check-calling the river.

piggity
12-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I think the chances of him having AJ or AK in this spot is negligible (I should have mentioned Ad was on the flop). He may be tired, but I did say he played well. Therefore I don't think he's going to be 4-betting a rock-tight player who raised in EP preflop and then 3-bet the turn with anything less than a set.

I guess the question is how often he has 88 here, and I'm really not sure. At least one very good player said it was an easy call-down, and another good player said I could fold, so maybe it's close-ish.

KramerTM
12-07-2005, 04:54 AM
Definitely close, but I think you lose a lot more in the long-run by laying down your hand in these spots than you gain by making this miraculous laydown.

If you do decide to lay it down, keep your mouth shut and never tell a soul you folded the second nuts with a pot that big!

afish
12-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Your hand only has to be good one time out of eight to make calling this down +EV. Seems like an easy call to me. He could have 88, AJs, AKd, AQd, KQd, or even 10d-9d.