PDA

View Full Version : Two dicey ones -- #2

JimmyV
07-10-2003, 05:11 PM
Party 3-6.
Reasonable player open-raises in cutoff-1. Folded to me in the BB with A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif . I 3-bet, he calls.

Flop: A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif K /forums/images/icons/club.gif .
I bet, he calls.

Turn: 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif .
I bet, he raises. Against this player I take this quite seriously. But it's a steal situation and I have the second-nut draw.

River A /forums/images/icons/club.gif . I check and call. I wonder if I should have bet and called any raise, or if inducing the bluff made more sense.

Comments? Results follow quickly. But don't peek!

JimmyV
07-10-2003, 05:13 PM

Opponent showed KK.

JimmyV
07-10-2003, 06:24 PM
Anyone? Something-D.O.O. passivity? Anyone? VOO-doo passivity?

lil'
07-10-2003, 06:28 PM
I think you did well. You trust your read on this guy so you can't raise the river, but your hand is too good to fold, so calling seems good to me.

Joe Tall
07-10-2003, 06:30 PM
I assume you called the turn and didn't 3-bet.

I've released AQo to a respectable raise way more than I've 3-bet it preflop.

Other than that I like the play, tell me he turned over K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif and took it down?

Louie Landale
07-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Folding is out of the question unless its Mother Theresa.

Inducing a bluff doesn't look too good since the most likely bluffing hand he can have features the Kh, a hand he can easily show down.

I would like to point out that you probably did NOT just outdraw him on the river, unless he has the unlikely K6, K3, or 63. Your hand got a LITTLE better since there is one less A he can have.

So, adding it all up ... I don't know. You didn't fold, that's what matters.

- Louie

JTG51
07-10-2003, 09:20 PM
I think you played it just fine on every street.

Inthacup
07-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Haven't read the results yet.

Reasonable player open-raises in cutoff-1.

This to me means that he could be raising with any number of hands. I definitely don't put him on 10 10 or better just yet.

3-bet the turn, cause I think you're ahead. And if it's capped, I'll change my mind. If it's capped, check call the river, if he just calls the 3-bet, bet and just call if he raises.

JimmyV
07-11-2003, 07:18 AM
Inthacup, you were my MVP yesterday.

But this is today.

>> Reasonable player open-raises in cutoff-1.

>This to me means that he could be raising with any number of hands. I definitely don't put him on 10 10 or better just yet.

Me neither -- I agree with you entirely so far.

BUT on the turn I think you're neglecting the question of what HE thinks *I* have. What could he be putting me on to raise for value here?

Does he know that I'll 3-bet a steal-raiser preflop (instead of just calling) with a wide range of hands? Probably not.

So doesn't he have to put me on a real hand? And if he thinks his real hand is just a little better than my real hand, why is he waiting till the turn to raise instead of raising the flop?

He may be semibluffing a big heart, in which case perhaps I should 3-bet. But he can't think I'll fold, so the semibluff is unlikely. If he's on a desperation bluff or has JJ or some such the last thing I want to do is raise and have him fold. Likewise on the river.

The turn raise in lieu of flop raise says monster to me. Am I missing something? (results notwithstanding).

Inthacup
07-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Inthacup, you were my MVP yesterday.

But this is today.

I'm going to go ahead and defer this honor. I'm pretty sure I don't play as well or make as much per hour as several others on the SS forum. If I were to hand out a MVP award based on knowledge and ability, I would give it to Clarkmeister with Dynasty coming in second. The problem with these guys(esp. Dynasty) is that they post like they're in the Small Stakes country club. Other posters are the mullet sporting, tank top wearing municipal golfers that only hit the links when Nascar isn't on and they happened to pick up a box of Pinnacle Extreme golf balls at the Super Walmart when they were in the sporting good section.

In other words, they are very good players and have great advice to give IMO. But that advice is often coupled with a negative, degrading sentiment. They *could* be the best posters here but often do more damage than good with the attitude(once again, especially with Dynasty).

Overall I think the MVP should go to everyone's favorite Power Plant worker, Wayland Smith...err...Homer J. Simpson! He's got a good demeanor and Lord knows he's spent enough time posting here. In any case, the MVP award is far more deserving on some others that post here.

P.S. I wonder what it would take to get Tommy Angelo and Mike l. to post here. That would be kick ass.