PDA

View Full Version : Biorhythms

flair1239
12-05-2005, 03:42 AM
Just curious if some of you would check this out.

I was screwing around on a biorhythm site and compared it to my Poker graph over the last year. Saw many downswings and upswings following the graph.

Of course my sample is insignificant for drawing any conclusions. If some of you have some time, it would be interesting to see if there is any correlation for anyone else.

Pharity
12-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Wow you'r onto something big.

crunchy1
12-05-2005, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was screwing around on a biorhythm site

[/ QUOTE ]
Link?

12-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Is this like PokerGrader.com?

shagjohn
12-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I just googled biorhythms and I gotta say, if it looks like astrology, walks like astrology, and quacks like astrology...
So far it appears to be the usual human problem of subjectively analyzing random or infinitely complex events (for you chaos theory folks). Trying to tie that to random card distributions is an even bigger leap.

flair1239
12-05-2005, 02:06 PM
web page (http://www.sitefoundry.com/biorhythms/)

flair1239
12-05-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I just googled biorhythms and I gotta say, if it looks like astrology, walks like astrology, and quacks like astrology...
So far it appears to be the usual human problem of subjectively analyzing random or infinitely complex events (for you chaos theory folks). Trying to tie that to random card distributions is an even bigger leap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so. Don't know anything about it, just what I read on the websites. Thought it was interesting. Also thought it would be interesting for others.

Jerkass333
12-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Apparently everything of mine is about to drop very far very fast. Dangit.

flair1239
12-05-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also this has nothing to do with card distribution. It has to do with monthly cycles that effect different abilities.

I don't find this far fetched. As lunar cycles have been used by hunters and fishermen for generations. Also there have been studies on animal behavior as it relates to lunar periods.

I am not sure that that is what this stuff is about... it definetly has a "new age" twist to it... but then again so does ZEN, and many people are eating that stuff up.

shagjohn
12-05-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also this has nothing to do with card distribution. It has to do with monthly cycles that effect different abilities.

I don't find this far fetched. As lunar cycles have been used by hunters and fishermen for generations. Also there have been studies on animal behavior as it relates to lunar periods.

I am not sure that that is what this stuff is about... it definetly has a "new age" twist to it... but then again so does ZEN, and many people are eating that stuff up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I realize now I didn't mean card distributions but behavior.

I've no idea if it's valid or not either, but it doesn't appear to be 'scientific' in any way, so it's not testable in the hard scientific sense. Since it's subjective, it's also easy to run into 'self-fulfilling prophecy' issues (like astrology).

It's well documented that lunar cycles affect animals, but I think it's mostly causal relationships (e.g. seeing better w/ moonlight, changes in tides, seasons, etc). But to take that and say we're smarter or dumber during certains times of the month seems a stretch to me, and may actually be harmful. The main goal is to play your A game all the time - the pros do this (or nearly so). It'd be sad to see someone not play b/c their biorhythm says it's a bad time or try to stop improving their game b/c they just need to play when their biorhythm is 'up'.

With Zen/meditation, it's helpful b/c it focuses on stepping outside ourselves to look at ourselves, so we can better see when we're about to go on tilt. I think it's purely psychological though, and doesn't claim any predictive abilities, and as such is a useful tool.

Anyways, didn't mean to make this so long. Interesting idea to discuss though. BTW, here's a skeptic site (http://skepdic.com/biorhyth.html)