PDA

View Full Version : raise sizes in SNG's

12-05-2005, 01:02 AM
i was wondering what people use as standard raising levels in sng's. and could be MTT too. basically situations where the blinds increase very quickly.

i seem to recall harrington likes to raise 3-5X big blind. but harrington plays against alot of tough players who respect raises. so if he raises 10X big blind, then the only response he may get is a reraise from a better hand.

but at recreational level, i'm noticing there isn't that much respect for raising.

so my two questions:

at small stakes level, do you think it's a better idea to raise much more than 3-5X BB? frankly, i find you don't get that many opportunities with great cards before you have to start making some moves.

obviously position is key.. but i am wondering generically if you would differentiate between a made hand like JJ-KK (AA is completely different) and AK/AQ where you really don't have anything yet. and raising aggressively pre-flop and a large continuation bet on the flop is going to eat up alot of chips....... i guess that's where position becomes so important. maybe get hyper-aggressive in the blinds with a good hand, so that you don't have to worry about the flop.

thanks for any responses! i've read harrington and little green book for no-limit. but i really think there needs to be a "SSHE No-limit" for playing poorer players and in tournaments where the blinds crowd you pretty fast. i am very curious about the mathematics of EV and restricted chip stack (but against mediocre players vs. harrington which assumes good opposition).

PartySNGer
12-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Most of my experience is in the 55s and 109s, but I would tend to put in larger raises, while making less continuation bets. Once these people limp, it takes a humongous raise to get most to fold, and once they've invested those chips, they will tend to call your continuation bets. I think big raises, then value bets is probably your best bet in low buy-in SNGs.

mlagoo
12-05-2005, 01:07 AM
first level i raise 4xBB +1BB per limper
second level 3xBB +1BB per limper
third+ level 2.5xBB +1BB per limper

if at any point i'm at 10xBB per less i just go allin.

pretty sure this is fairly standard, although some people maintain a 3xBB raise throughout the later levels.

player1
12-05-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

say u have 10x BB, BB = 100, u have AX UTG, Y handed. what kicker (X) do you need to push and how does the number of players left (Y) affect your decision?

thanks,
jc

tom441lbk
12-05-2005, 01:59 PM
All,

My biggest problem with raise size is when I am in level 3
with 550-800 in chips, where a decent sized raised commits alot of my chips to the pot, where if I whiff, I am up [censored] creek, any insight on this? PUSH the hand?

thanks,

lbk

player1
12-06-2005, 06:49 AM
with 800, i'll usually bet 150-175 and then again on the flop against 1 or 2 others. with say 550, i used to push with say 10s but lately, i've been raising the standard amount PF and then pushing on the flop, assuming the board is not too scary (ex: 1 non ace over card only). in the past, when i used to push, i would often get hands like AQ calling me, so they'll get the full value of their hand by seeing it to the river. but with a standard raise PF, it's kinda like a stop and go with position.

fwiw, since i've been losing so much lately. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

jc

Shillx
12-06-2005, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

say u have 10x BB, BB = 100, u have AX UTG, Y handed. what kicker (X) do you need to push and how does the number of players left (Y) affect your decision?

thanks,
jc

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop pushing UTG. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

X = Q (maybe J)
Y = 7

It likes suited aces in this spot a lot more though.

12-06-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of my experience is in the 55s and 109s, but I would tend to put in larger raises, while making less continuation bets. Once these people limp, it takes a humongous raise to get most to fold, and once they've invested those chips, they will tend to call your continuation bets. I think big raises, then value bets is probably your best bet in low buy-in SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in The Netherlands and I can never play during peak hours (unless I stop sleeping altogether). You guys have no idea how easy you have it. I never raise too much, especially with good hands, because I'll often take the blinds. Also, it happens all the time that someone limps, I raise 3-4BB, then the limper folds. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

mlagoo
12-06-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks,
jc

[/ QUOTE ]

id like to help out, but this is just super situational. i think this is one of those things that you just get a feel for after posting here for a while, and playing a bunch of SNGs.

in general, lean more towards folding more Ax's when UTG, and more towards open pushing any two cards when its folded to you in LP. I think the latter will be more profitable in the long run.*

sorry i cant help out more. its just way too situational. good luck at the tables.

* - dont do this every orbit or you will be looked up. just pick your spots. good luck at the tables.

tigerite
12-06-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in The Netherlands and I can never play during peak hours (unless I stop sleeping altogether). You guys have no idea how easy you have it. I never raise too much, especially with good hands, because I'll often take the blinds. Also, it happens all the time that someone limps, I raise 3-4BB, then the limper folds. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're only an hour ahead of me, and I can play the $109s just fine at 10pm GMT at the latest. Even earlier, if I don't mind a set taking ~5 min to start.