PDA

View Full Version : Has this HD been brought back to life? (plus Rick's partition scheme)

Rick Nebiolo
12-05-2005, 12:45 AM
I have a four hard drive system (two internals and two externals). The two internals are partitioned so that WinXP and Programs are backed up and isolated from data. Here's my scheme:

Primary physical drive: (120 gig Maxtor SATA drive)
C: partition 30 gig - WinXP and Programs
D: partition 65 gig - Data (not counting music)
E: partition 20 gig - Spare (in case I want to install a 2nd OP for dual boot)

Second pysical drive: (120 gig Maxtor SATA drive)
F: partition 3 gig - Swap File (arguable as to whether this increases speed).
G: partition 77 gig - Music.
H: partition 30 gig - Ghost Images (of the C: partition)
G: partition 5 gig - Downloads (of programs, not music)

The externals back up the Music, Data and Download partitions. The Ghost Image allows me to restore to a known good state (including every program, setting and icon!) if the primary physical drive fails (check out the Radified Guide to Norton Ghost (http://ghost.radified.com/)).

This scheme has protected my data (including Pokertracker stuff) under heavy use for almost two years. But lately I've had some horrible hardware problems, mostly with unexpected shutdowns. This is probably the motherboard or BIOS and too long a story for this already long post.

As part of looking at the shutdown problem I did some checks on my hard drives. The D: partition on the primary drive wouldn't pass a WinXP based error check. Since it is easy to replace and re-partition the drive (using FDISK or Partion Magic) and re-install the OP and Programs (using Ghost) I decided to do some serious testing on the primary drive.

I deleted the old partions (using the DOS based tool DELPART), re-created and reformatted the partitions (FDISK wouldn't work but DOS based Partition Magic did), and used Ghost to get back WinXP and Programs. I re-copyied my data from one of my external drives. Everything looked good but I still couldn't get my D: partition to pass the Windows XP based test.

Next I downloaded the latest version of the Maxtor PowerMax utility (http://tinyurl.com/4osje) and copied the program to a bootable floppy. PowerMax allows you to perform the following tests on Maxtor's physical drives:

1. Installation Confirmation
2. Basic Quick (90 Second) Test
3. Advanced Test (Full Scan Test)
4. Burn In Test
5. Low Level Format (Quick)
6. Low Level format (Full)

My primary drive would pass the Basic tests but the Advanced Test indicated the drive was failing (my other drive passed both tests). I decided to try a quick then a full Low Level Format. Note that the Low Level Format isn't really a true low level format (this needs special equipment for modern high density drives and can only be done at the factory). A true LLF "writes the groves" into the drive; instead, it deletes the old MBR (master boot record) and fills in the entire drive with zeros.[/i]

After performing the low level format I repartitioned and re-formatted the drive with Partition Magic. I then used the PowerMax utility and this time the drive passed. I then re-imaged Win XP and Programs (using Ghost) and was back up to speed (well sort of, still have some of the BIOS and shutdown problems). The partitions now pass the Windows based disk checks.

Here is my question (I think /images/graemlins/smile.gif ):

If a hard drive is "brought back to life" using a manufacturer's disk based utility as described above, is it more likely to fail than a new drive?

Regards,

Rick

PS The post is long but some of you guys may want to consider using this type of sheme. Despite horrendous hardware problems, I haven't lost any data. Comments on the drive and partition scheme are also appreciated.

PPS If you guys can help me with this I may add some questions about my shutdown and BIOS problems.

smoore
12-05-2005, 01:47 PM
I never trust disks that have to be ressurected like this. I use them but I back up more frequently.

Rick Nebiolo
12-05-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never trust disks that have to be ressurected like this. I use them but I back up more frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

I was going to immediately replace the drive given they are so cheap. Problem was removing the front plate of my computer case to access the drive and slide it out. The semi-fancy Coolermaster computer case for my system (semi-custom built by ABS Computers) has the weirdest fasteners (a VERY shallow allen wrench type that extends to a point - maybe there is some sort of allen wrench screwdriver). I couldn't turn the fasteners with any of my normal allen wrenches (maybe I need metric - perhaps Sears or Toolshack has the right size).

The techs at a local computer shop that completely whiffed on repairing the system also never saw the fasterners, although a customer walked through the store when my box was on the counter and mentioned that he's seen them.

Anyway, the drive passed the Win XP based and PowerMax tests again but I'll keep an eye on it. I still need to learn how to remove the drive in case of future failure.

Thanks,

~ Rick

PS Turns out Google saved me regarding some of my other computer problems. A search on "overclocking failed" crossed with Asus got me to several tech help boards (overclockers are more anal than I am). It turned out the "overclocking failed" message during startup is quite common (even when the CPU is not overclocked). Problem was the various forums discussed about 20 different solutions. Several suggested rolling back the BIOS (much easier than cutting excess solder on the motherboard).

Anyway this morning I rolled back the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe BIOS to version .19 (down three or four versions) and the system now boots up without getting the "overclocking failed" message. I'm looking for other symptems of the machine being screwed up now but it seems to be working OK (fingers crossed).

Note that I wrote the original post out of fustration and a desire to sort through and log some of the things I've done (my handwriting and notes are unreadable).

Here's one just one discussion of related BIOS errors (http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/8069/)

~ Rick

CORed
12-05-2005, 03:55 PM
I think the fasteners on your case might be torx. Those are sort of a six-pointed star. If that's what they are, you need a torx driver. You can get screw drivers, socket bits, or a folding set that fits them (there are lots of sizes) at Sears, an Auto Parts or good hardware store. One thing i like about dells is that you don't need any tools to open the case, or get the front panel off.

Rick Nebiolo
12-05-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the fasteners on your case might be torx. Those are sort of a six-pointed star. If that's what they are, you need a torx driver. You can get screw drivers, socket bits, or a folding set that fits them (there are lots of sizes) at Sears, an Auto Parts or good hardware store.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to Google images for torx and they appear to be very close (the fasteners on my case are very small, barely viewable with a magnifying glass and I may have stripped them a bit trying to undo them with an allen wrench). I'll stop by Sear's on my way to poker later today.

[ QUOTE ]
One thing i like about dells is that you don't need any tools to open the case, or get the front panel off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same was true of my older Micron. Replacing drives was a snap.

Just in case I can't solve the unexpected shutdown problem I'm looking at getting another computer (otherwise no online play). I was disappointed at the latest ABS Computer web site (ABS is my current machine - I loved it until recent failures). Two years ago one was able within limits to pick and chose among many parts (e.g. cases/power supplies, CPU speeds, motherboards, drives, hard disks, CD/DVD RW drives, higher quality memory and so on). Now they have fixed machines in various lines with limited options.

Velocity Micro seems to have moved into the decent quality semi custom-made nich now. The Vector SX-V (http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=29) with more memory and a bigger drive would be a nice machine for about $1100. I could probably add my existing memory (making 2 gigs) and add my second, less worn out hard disk) along with my Plextor CD RW drive. That would make the machine slightly better than what I have now.

Another nice thing about Velocity Micro is they provide a real copy of Windows XP, as opposed to the restore disk (which won't let you start with a freshly formatted drive). This is one reason I've stayed away from Dell and other major vendors, the other being I don't like getting "free" LCDs I don't need and so on, which at some level the customer obviously pays for.

With more workspace and time building one sounds like an interesting challenge, but when I checked out the price of parts two years ago it didn't seem like I'd save any money. I assume that's still true; OTOH I'd know how to remove my faceplate. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the help.

~ Rick