PDA

View Full Version : We Are Safe From Bird Flu!

cardcounter0
12-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Just watched a show where the World Health Organization was worried that the Bird Flu virus would evolve and become capapble of jumping from human to human, at which point it would become very dangerous.

What a bunch of fuzzy headed liberals. Don't they realize that evolution and virus being able to randomly mutate to become more efficient is a totally flawed theory with many holes. Intelligent design shows us that everything was created by an intelligent being, we have no fear from bird flu "evolving".

Crisis solved. Now I have to go scrap the ice off my windshield, which I couldn't possibly have to do, if those crazy liberal global warming theories were correct.
/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BCPVP
12-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Strawman (http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html#straw)

cardcounter0
12-04-2005, 11:06 PM
So the intelligent designer did create evolution in virus, but not for any higher species that he created 8,000 years ago?

(just trying to keep up with the latest advances in modern science education)

12-04-2005, 11:15 PM
I've heard so much about bird flu, and all the indecision about
whether it's going to become a real problem. I decided I should
take action and protect myself. I just installed this protective
barrier today...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/Nut4Dawgs/5kittens.jpg

Bring it on, birdies, show me whatcha got!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Not bad, but next time shrink the pic so you don't screw up the forum.

hmkpoker
12-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Evolution can't be true because the universe shows signs of order and had to be designed.

Why is the bird flu part of that order?

Don't question the creator, smartass.

cardcounter0
12-05-2005, 01:07 AM
You must be a scientist.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Matty
12-05-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't question

[/ QUOTE ]So why did he give us brains?

Edit: Oops, there I went and asked a question too. Stupid me.

Cumulonimbus
12-05-2005, 07:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just watched a show where the World Health Organization was worried that the Bird Flu virus would evolve and become capapble of jumping from human to human, at which point it would become very dangerous.

What a bunch of fuzzy headed liberals. Don't they realize that evolution and virus being able to randomly mutate to become more efficient is a totally flawed theory with many holes. Intelligent design shows us that everything was created by an intelligent being, we have no fear from bird flu "evolving".

Crisis solved. Now I have to go scrap the ice off my windshield, which I couldn't possibly have to do, if those crazy liberal global warming theories were correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/heart.gif I'm your biggest fan. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BCPVP
12-05-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So the intelligent designer did create evolution in virus, but not for any higher species that he created 8,000 years ago?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think most people question micro-evolution. We can observe micro-evolution. It's macro-evolution that theists question. That's why your argument is a strawman.

cardcounter0
12-05-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think most people question micro-evolution. We can observe micro-evolution. It's macro-evolution that theists question. That's why your argument is a strawman.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the intelligent designer was only smart enough to use evolution on a micro-level, but not smart enough to make it work on the macro-level?

[ QUOTE ]
We can observe micro-evolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only the intelligent designer had created observers with better powers of observation, then maybe macro-evolution would work too.

I am assuming that the dividing line between micro- and macro- evolution is defined by what "theists" can observe.

Which brings up another question - what are these "theists", I thought one of the fundamental claims of intelligent design was that it was a SCIENCE not a RELIGION, so shouldn't we be depending on the observations of SCIENTISTS, not the claims of THEISTS?
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BCPVP
12-05-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So the intelligent designer was only smart enough to use evolution on a micro-level, but not smart enough to make it work on the macro-level?

[/ QUOTE ]
Or didn't want it to. Or didn't care. Who knows?

[ QUOTE ]
If only the intelligent designer had created observers with better powers of observation, then maybe macro-evolution would work too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently you don't know what macro-evolution is.

[ QUOTE ]
I am assuming that the dividing line between micro- and macro- evolution is defined by what "theists" can observe.

[/ QUOTE ]
You assumed wrong. Go learn about the topic before you post sarcastic things that make you look stupid.

[ QUOTE ]
Which brings up another question - what are these "theists"[?]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you being intentionally dense or do you just not know?
If the latter, dictionary.com is your friend. (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Theist)

[ QUOTE ]
I thought one of the fundamental claims of intelligent design was that it was a SCIENCE not a RELIGION, so shouldn't we be depending on the observations of SCIENTISTS, not the claims of THEISTS?

[/ QUOTE ]
There aren't that many people who believe in ID. And I doubt you'll find many believers in ID here. In any case, this thread almost belongs in the SMP forum.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-05-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just theists or creationists question macro-evolution. Many scientists (primarily microbiologists) question some aspects of macro-evolution. One of the insidiuous parts of the whole ID debate is to paint all people who critique traditional Darwinism with the same brush.

elwoodblues
12-05-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In any case, this thread almost belongs in the SMP forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope -- there are, obviously, policy ramifications of Intelligent Design, just as there are political ramifications for calling something a "Holiday Tree" instead of a Christmas tree. There is clearly topical overlap.

12-05-2005, 04:51 PM
I fear that the Flying Spaghetti Monster will unleash this bird flu on us as punishment for driving pirates to near-extinction.

BCPVP
12-05-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In any case, this thread almost belongs in the SMP forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope -- there are, obviously, policy ramifications of Intelligent Design, just as there are political ramifications for calling something a "Holiday Tree" instead of a Christmas tree. There is clearly topical overlap.

[/ QUOTE ]
FMP

jokerthief
12-06-2005, 05:25 AM
Booo to this post! I opened it up expecting some sort of content on the bird flu and only found a strawman evolution vs intelligent design thread.

That bird flu could very well be some real nasty business. This tread will look to be in VERY bad taste if an outbreak does happen and 200 million do die.

tomdemaine
12-06-2005, 05:42 AM
What's worse is that I'm pretty sure that very few of the people posting in this thread believe in ID but cardcounter has them defending it because his argument is so poorly thought out, sarcastic and arrogant. Shame really.

whiskeytown
12-06-2005, 05:42 AM
and if the bird flu does sweep thru, we can just say it was God's Justice that killed all those people...

lose half the population of the US? - That's not irresponsibility on the part of health officials who diverted money to weapons and arms - that's just God's Justice - LOL

good plan - I'll bring it up with my next meeting with the heads of FOX news.

RB

cardcounter0
12-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Black is white, Good is evil, what ever stupid subject, no matter how stupid, will get defended by some if it is part of the Party line.

How can you debate a half way reasonable subject when invisible cloud beings are defended.
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Can you be certain there are no invisible cloud beings? After all, we only see and hear a very small part of the EM spectrum. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BCPVP
12-06-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Black is white, Good is evil, what ever stupid subject, no matter how stupid, will get defended by some if it is part of the Party line.

How can you debate a half way reasonable subject when invisible cloud beings are defended.
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
What party is defending ID? Who here is defending it?

CORed
12-06-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We can observe macro-evolution, too, unless we are so blinded by religious dogma that we refuse to accept any evidence that conflicts with it.

In fact, the whole notion of micro-evolution being somehow different from macro-evolution was something dreamed up by "creation scientists" to try to explain away the fact that evolution is easily observable. But hey, a virus that makes the change from infecting birds to infecting people isn't really a new "kind" or species, is it? It can't be; that would be macro-evolution and the Bible says that can't happen.

CORed
12-06-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and if the bird flu does sweep thru, we can just say it was God's Justice that killed all those people...

lose half the population of the US? - That's not irresponsibility on the part of health officials who diverted money to weapons and arms - that's just God's Justice - LOL

good plan - I'll bring it up with my next meeting with the heads of FOX news.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Well duh! Obviously bird flu is a direct result of abortion and daring to think about letting gay people get married. just like AIDS is gods way of punishing people who fornicate, sodomize, do drugs, get blood transfusions or commit the ultimate sin of being born to a mother who does one of those things.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-06-2005, 05:42 PM
We can observe macro-evolution, too, unless we are so blinded by religious dogma that we refuse to accept any evidence that conflicts with it.

So you're basically saying that any microbiologist that disagrees with the traditional Darwinist explanation of how evolution happened because it's never been experimentally re-created is in the same class as a religious dogmatist?