PDA

View Full Version : Hand Critique

JDErickson
07-10-2003, 01:01 PM
PP $1/$2 game. Tight passive game except for one player. My opponent in this hand. 3 to 4 see the flop normally.

Im dealt 8d 8c in the Cutoff seat. Folded around to the player on my right (loose river shark) who calls, I raise. SB and BB call. Shark calls. 4 to the Flop

Flop - 8s Qd Qs

SB bets, BB calls, shark calls, I raise, SB ans BB fold, shark raise, I cap, he calls. Headsup on the Turn

Turn 6d

shark bets, I raise, shark raises, I cap, shark calls

River - 6h

shark bets, I raise, shark calls

I'm fairly new to hold'em so be gentle.

Thanx
Jim

Joe Tall
07-10-2003, 01:21 PM
I like the way you played the hand until the river. I'm sure you lost to a higher full house Qs-full with this double paired board.

Unless he's some over aggressive with a busted spade draw.

Lost Wages
07-10-2003, 01:47 PM
PP $1/$2 game. Tight passive...

Well, you made one mistake prepreflop /forums/images/icons/smile.gif . Too many loose-passive 1/2 games on party to be playing in a tight one.

I like the preflop raise. Flop and turn look fine. On the river your hand just went way down in value, just call.

Lost Wages

lil'
07-10-2003, 02:20 PM
Man, that river card is death. He bet into you because he has a Q and figures he has a tie at worst. Just call.

Dynasty
07-10-2003, 02:33 PM
You should just call on the river and hope he has a hand like As6s for a smaller full house.

dirty_dan
07-10-2003, 02:39 PM
It's been capped between you two on the flop and turn. He obviously likes his hand, more than likely he's got a Q. He didn't open raise preflop so QQ, AQ, KQ and probably QJ are out. He initally just called on the flop and 3 bet after the blinds folded. He might have been slowplaying his nut boat with Q8s, which makes a little sense as with another Qx he should be wary of kicker problems. On the river you can no longer be in the lead. But the pot is huge and you can't fold. Just call his bet.

Since you raised and he only called then he can't have Q8. I say he rivered you with a QT or Q9.

JDErickson
07-10-2003, 02:50 PM
River Shark turned over Q6 for the Q's over 6's boat.

Its generally agreed that I misplayed the River, I agree. I was guessing he had trip Q's only and was playing his normal game of River Running. I should have just called the River.

He had me beat on the turn. I had no idea he would play a Q6 BTF.

Jim

Lost Wages
07-10-2003, 03:17 PM
I don't understand. If you thought he had a Queen then why did you raise the river? You were beaten regardless of his kicker.

Lost Wages

JDErickson
07-10-2003, 03:27 PM
Because I hit the dang raise button before I thought it through. As soon as I hit it I realised he probably had the Q.

Most of this hand I thought this guy was playing his normal poker. Riding to the river and showing nothing or very little. I was convinced I had him beat due to his past practices. For example he called a hand all the way down with a J high hand before.

So, in my excitement for winning this hand I didn't think.

I think I sometimes get killed by thinking other players are smart and wouldn't play such a BTF hand. Then I get beat by them on the River and they were holding 85 s.

How do you adjust to these players?

Jim

dirty_dan
07-10-2003, 03:45 PM
This guy wasn't calling anything down. He was raising every chance he got.

eh923
07-10-2003, 03:52 PM
I think I sometimes get killed by thinking other players are smart and wouldn't play such a BTF hand. Then I get beat by them on the River and they were holding 85 s.

How do you adjust to these players?

1. Remember that even a "river rider" gets legitimate hands once in a while. I'm not saying that Q6o is legit, but it sure was on the river on this hand!
2. Regardless of the opponent, make sure you understand where you stand in relation to the nuts. Note: you NEVER had the nuts on this hand despite a dream flop.
3. Against a maniac, tend to call more with mediocre hands, but bet/raise for value more with stronger hands. You played this just fine, except the river raise.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-10-2003, 04:08 PM
I think I sometimes get killed by thinking other players are smart and wouldn't play such a BTF hand.

Forget what he showed you. Preflop he didn't raise. Why wouldn't you give him credit for QJ, QT or Q9s? You lose to those hands, too.

Nottom
07-10-2003, 04:57 PM
Your very lucky (and I'm extremely surprised) you didn't get 3-bet on the river. I figured you had won when I saw that he just called your river raise.

JDErickson
07-10-2003, 05:07 PM
I think you hit this right on the head Dan. This is where my first FUBAR occured (other than the River raise).

The guy was consistantly calling everyone down to the river.

But on my hand he was raising. I didn't think about this and it cost me big.

Thanx for all the responses. I only make a mistake once.

Hope to see you all on a table soon /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jim

dirty_dan
07-10-2003, 05:11 PM
I don't think the guy was thinking quad potential, so he must have figured he was splitting the pot and that there was no reason to bump it again. Not a great move.

rigoletto
07-10-2003, 06:00 PM
???? He flopped a boat!

bernie
07-10-2003, 07:29 PM
im definitely not raising the river here. youre most likely beat. what do you think he's jamming with this whole time? at least a Q.

you could probably fold this river. but if in doubt call.

b

bernie
07-10-2003, 07:35 PM
there's a big difference between calling down, and capping the flop and turn. pay attention to his raising standards. even take that in sections. what would he raise or cap the turn with on a paired board? seems you got a little ahead of yourself and weren't really putting him on anything until it was too late. THEN it occured to you that he may have a Q?

oh well, we've all done it at least once before. hope ya learn from it.

as the other poster said, his kicker is the least of your worries. you know he has a Q. unless he's maniacal. Q2 is the same as AQ in this situation. the river card screwed ya either way.

b