PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis Side Games

tongni
12-04-2005, 09:36 PM
For anyone who went to this event last year, do you know what kind and how many side games they spread? I know they don't normally have poker here so I was just curious. Thanks.

whodaman
12-04-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm also interested in answers to this as i have a friend who will need to play the lowest games they offer. As such, i was wondering how low do they go.

12-05-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
who will need to play the lowest games they offer. As such, i was wondering how low do they go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since it's Stars, I'm pretty sure they'll have a .02/.04 limit game, and a .01/.02 NL game. But watch out, since they'll be raking $4 a hand, since it's B&M, plus $1 for the jackpot.

SharkBait
12-05-2005, 02:42 PM
They had a bunch of SNGs ranging up to $100 or $150 (unless people asked for bigger) I think and had alot of side games running but I don't remember the details since I rarely played ring games back then. I think they offered limit hold em up to 30/60 but would spread bigger and other games if there was interest. I know they offered NL hold em too. I can't imagine the side games are terribly fishy since it is mostly people who managed to qualify on Stars but can't say for sure.

Hopefully someone can give you a better answer.

SharkBait
12-05-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm also interested in answers to this as i have a friend who will need to play the lowest games they offer. As such, i was wondering how low do they go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Food at Atlantis is insanely expensive.... Last year, they occasionally set up food outside the poker room at dinner time during the main event but it wasn't much. You can find more reasonable food outside of the hotel complex but I wouldn't expect this to be a cheap trip

jackdaniels
12-05-2005, 04:58 PM
I'd also like to go and just play the side games. What kind of loot are we talking here for hotel/food (I got the airfare covered)? What are the good dates to be there for? Has anyone done this last year?

MicroBob
12-05-2005, 05:34 PM
others have mentioned how expensive the food is.

just curious about details on this.
how 'insane' is 'insanely expensive' there.

Wake up CALL
12-05-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid $35 for a burger, fries and a coke last year. Does that qualify as insane?

SharkBait
12-05-2005, 06:03 PM
If you get a bagel/roll, fruit, juice and coffee for breakfast I think it was $18. All you can eat breakfast was $25-$30 I believe. I travel alot on business and eat well and I would compare the prices to nice restaurants in New York. Definitely more expensive than Chicago (where I live).

I just checked room rates for the weak of the tournament and it is $4500 to $5500 for room only! There are much cheaper hotels in the area (I seem to recall that there used to be a Days Inn near Atlantis). I stayed at a Hilton just across the bridge in Nassau the first time I went to the Bahamas that was decent and more reasonable but you would have to cab to the Atlantis ($10 maybe).

If you are playing in the tournament buying in through Stars is actually a good value ($3000 gets you a room and I believe a $1000 meal plan). The rooms they gave last year were in the nicer part of the resort so they would be the $5500 rooms quoted now.

1800GAMBLER
12-05-2005, 09:21 PM
I posted about the side games in the main thread, if i remember rightly they sucked. zj, daryn, mlg, bruiser can prob confirm better though.

Shoe
12-05-2005, 09:52 PM
If you win your way through Stars, they include a $1,000 meal plan. I was told this is enough to cover your food expenses (as long as you don't get too crazy)

1800GAMBLER
12-05-2005, 09:57 PM
yeti is checking the site now saying the meal plan will not cover much.

MLG
12-06-2005, 12:30 AM
MLG can't he was playing the tourney the whole time. and when he wasnt his girlfriend took priority over side games. Surely you remember her, the one obsessed with your accent. Anyway, we'll both be there again for the drinking and the hanging out (oh and a poker tournament too).

Yeti
12-06-2005, 06:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeti is checking the site now saying the meal plan will not cover much.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ok bro, we will just have to upgrade to the $2 meal plan that daryn and bruiser are on.

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/6879/variety20pack2020large1oh.jpg

SharkBait
12-06-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you win your way through Stars, they include a $1,000 meal plan. I was told this is enough to cover your food expenses (as long as you don't get too crazy)

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this gets you breakfast and dinner but for dinner the nicer/more expensive restaurants aren't included in the plan.

FatalError
12-13-2005, 02:34 AM
I priced out 7 day package for my friends and i to go (they're backing out and going to amsterdam instead) but i came up with 6200ish for 7 nights in one of the nicer rooms in the main towers, the maxed meal plan which covers breakfast anywhere and then a dinner at ANY restaurant. this included a few other things like transportation. anyways we thought that actually it was a decent price considering the savings you get by taking the island meal plan, the pstars one is less than the minimum mealplan you can buy online, god knows what you're getting in that case.

my suggestion? if you're not going with pstars or were going to buy a package... you might want to consider going with the hotel.

Rushmore
12-13-2005, 08:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Breakfast for two: $50.00
Lunch for two: $75.00
Dinner for two: $100.00

If you were to budget less than this, you'd really be skimping.

It's pretty hardcore.

Rushmore
12-13-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They had a bunch of SNGs ranging up to $100 or $150 (unless people asked for bigger) I think and had alot of side games running but I don't remember the details since I rarely played ring games back then. I think they offered limit hold em up to 30/60 but would spread bigger and other games if there was interest. I know they offered NL hold em too. I can't imagine the side games are terribly fishy since it is mostly people who managed to qualify on Stars but can't say for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have said this before, but will reiterate: If they do not run the side games any better this year, it will just be a bunch of people standing around gawking at each other, wondering if the names on the board are the same as last night's list. Oh, nobody erased the list? Huh? Is there a limit game going? Wait--who's in charge? Are there any dealers available? What? Huh? I'm not sure. Hold on. Is there--umm, I...

Fuggit. I'm going to the beach.

bugstud
12-13-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have said this before, but will reiterate: If they do not run the side games any better this year, it will just be a bunch of people standing around gawking at each other, wondering if the names on the board are the same as last night's list. Oh, nobody erased the list? Huh? Is there a limit game going? Wait--who's in charge? Are there any dealers available? What? Huh? I'm not sure. Hold on. Is there--umm, I...

[/ QUOTE ]

think aruba, but worse? if so...yikes.

turnipmonster
12-13-2005, 04:13 PM
sounds like tahiti!

PokerSlut
12-13-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid $35 for a burger, fries and a coke last year. Does that qualify as insane?

[/ QUOTE ]

$35 US??? I guess I won't be staying there anytime soon.

Rushmore
12-14-2005, 09:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but in Aruba, at least there was a room across the way that was run at least as well as most rooms in smaller-market poker cities. The Atlantis cash games made Aruba look like Poker Capitol of the World.

bugstud
12-14-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but in Aruba, at least there was a room across the way that was run at least as well as most rooms in smaller-market poker cities. The Atlantis cash games made Aruba look like Poker Capitol of the World.

[/ QUOTE ]

but they run plo? kind of a contradiction then, huh /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greg (FossilMan)
12-19-2005, 03:36 PM
If you're coming for the side games, but not playing in the tournament, go somewhere else. There will be better side games in LA or LV almost for sure, and certainly a lot more such games to choose from.

If you're coming to play in the tournament, don't worry about the side games. If you don't last a long time, you're in the Bahamas in January. Enjoy the weather and the the location, and forget about playing poker for a few days.

I mean, come on. I'm a complete nerd, but I couldn't believe all these 18-25 year old guys hanging out in the bar playing online poker. Most of them come from parts of the world where it's cold in January, and instead of enjoying the Bahamas, they're indoors playing online poker! At my nerdiest, I was never that bad.

Oh, and I'm pretty that the PokerStars meal plan covers breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It is true that there are only 4-8 choices of restaurants for each meal, but it's not like you won't be able to get enough to eat.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

12-19-2005, 04:15 PM
playing online at the bar?

thats a little too much for me. as if being around 18 yr. old's at a bar wasnt a problem in itself haha.