PDA

View Full Version : TT in large pot, fold river?

12-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Flop: (18 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (18 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB calls $0.50 (All-In), BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (26.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players, 1 all-in)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 29.50 BB

Raising was probably a bad idea on the flop, especially because it was BB who had 3-bet PF and here he was betting into the entire field on a crappy floppy. However, I raised thinking overcards, only to be 3-bet by CO who had been calling up until now.

I called the turn bet because the 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif didn't scare me, but maybe I should've folded with so many callers? My TT had no strength at this point except against overcards.

There was some extremely irregular betting going on if you can see, especially considering who folds on the river. I called the river too because I was following the "pot is too big to fold" principle, but I feel that I have seriously misinterpreted that principle.

What are your thoughts?

Eeegah
12-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Ugh. Brutal, and I'm having a hard time pinning anyone on logical betting patterns. I'd expect UTG+1 to cap the turn if he was slowplaying trips. If CO has a 3 he's a superdonk and I'd expect a slowplay from him. And God knows what SB has.

I call the river because it's huge--only need to win 3% of the time or so. That said, I can't figure out this hand so sorry I can't give more advice /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Aaron W.
12-04-2005, 10:19 PM
I would plan to call the flop and raise the turn. The pot is already huge and you don't want to super-bloat it.

12-04-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would plan to call the flop and raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buckmulligan
12-04-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would plan to call the flop and raise the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

12-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Can anyone explain why they call the flop and raise the turn?

jrz1972
12-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Because a flop raise doesn't protect your hand (the pot is too big to fold anything out) whereas a turn raise might. Also, the turn card will dramatically alter your pot equity, so you might as well wait and see what happens before you go to war.

The way you played it, it's really hard to get away from this hand. You have to make crying calls on the flop and turn because you're getting the right price to draw to your 2-outer. And by the time you get to the river you're hand only needs to be good once in a blue moon to make that call +EV.

12-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Okay, thanks for the explanation. I am currently a gruncher so, while I appreciate people's responses, "call the flop and raise the turn" doesn't make any sense to me without an explanation.

Thanks again.