PDA

View Full Version : A well played hand and a poorly played hand

JTG51
07-10-2003, 11:38 AM
These two hands were just a few minutes apart. I felt really good about the way I played one of them and felt like a retard on the other. Which do you think I played better?

Hand 1:

4 limpers to me, I raise on the button with A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif . BB calls, limpers all call. 6 of us see the flop.

8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

It's checked to me, I check.

Turn: [8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif ] 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Checked to a tight old man in LP who bets. I fold.

Hand 2:

I get a free play in the BB with J /forums/images/icons/club.gif T /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif after 2 limp and SB completes. SB is an aggressive player.

Flop: J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

SB checks, I bet, everyone folds back to SB who calls.

Turn: [J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif ] J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

SB bets into me and I raise.

Any comments?

Joe Tall
07-10-2003, 12:09 PM
Hand #1:

I did the exact same thing with the EXACT (I mean those actually real life card) last night when it missed big and I checked the flop, and some TOM bet out on the turn.

I have to say I like the lay down.

Hand#2

No reason not too, he could easily have Jxs and you could take this down. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

ElSapo
07-10-2003, 12:15 PM
I like the way you played both of them.

Hand #1, a tight player bets out into a field and you've got no pair, that's an easy fold for me. I don't see any reason to bet the flop here either, just take the free card.

Hand #2 I play the same way - raise here. If you think SB may have a bigger jack you can check-call down if he re-raises. But he may be betting out on the scare card.

Either way, I can't figure which hand you think you played poorly.

anatta
07-10-2003, 12:39 PM
Just call the turn in hand 2. Most aggressives would correctly semi-bluff the diamond draw on the flop. If he has no jack, he folds. Let him bluff away on the river.

J.R.
07-10-2003, 12:46 PM
First hand is fine, the second hand is bad since the sb is aggressive and will bluff a lot, so there is no reason to tell him you have a J, especially when you have position and can ensure a bet goes in on the river. If he is aggressive, he would have likely bet the flop with a diamond draw, so there does not appear to be a need to charge him on the turn and no reason to stop his bluff.

Louie Landale
07-10-2003, 01:01 PM
You may be tempted to bet into 5 opponents in an uncoordinated board, but I don't think so. With this coordinated board you have no reason to bet. You missed, you got your free turn card, take it.

He is almost certainly drawing dead. You may be better off waiting until the river to raise since there is a pretty good chance he's taking a stab at it and will fold to your turn raise; but may take another stab at it on the river or pay you off with K3 on the river. Raising in not "wrong" but calling, hehehe, may be better.

- Louie

JTG51
07-10-2003, 01:12 PM
I liked my play in hand 1 and didn't in hand 2.

Hand 1 was kind of a personal victory for me. I tend to overplay my unimproved AK in multiway pots, so I was very happy to get away from this one so cheaply.

It turns out a MP called the bet from LP on the turn. The river was a blank. MP bet into LP who called. MP showed 79o for the flopped nuts.

Louie, J.R., and anatta got the second hand exactly right in my opinion. As I was raising I thought to myself, "What are you doing? He can't have a J or he would have bet the flop! Let him bluff again on the river." Too late though. Anyway, he folded to my turn raise and showed me 43.

GrinningBuddha
07-10-2003, 03:40 PM
I think your first hand was played reasonably. With 5 opponents, your hope of bluffing is next to nil, and a relatively co-ordinated flop minimizes your hopes of winning with 1 pair. Free card was good, as was the subsequent fold.

On hand 2, he's either got a very weak jack, or trying to scare you off with a bluff/semi-bluff. Either way, you gain more by simply calling.

lil'
07-10-2003, 03:53 PM
I would wager that the people here who have been complianing about not being able to beat the loose low-limit games lately are betting the flop in hand one, and maybe even calling the turn.

Homer
07-10-2003, 03:59 PM
I agree. It's quite hard not to do this, especially after having the flop miss you 10 straight times. I find myself doing this from time to time, and I certainly know better.

-- Homer