PDA

View Full Version : If you played limit before...

12-04-2005, 06:04 PM
I wondered how many of you started off playing limit poker and moved to no-limit poker? If so, what were your thought processes before you switched? What were you considering? What were some of your reasons? In other words, what were the determining factors that caused your change of your "main game"?

I've played some no-limit tournaments and even though I DO think that tournament strategy and ring game strategy are different beasts, I have been fascinated a little with the no-limit game.

My limit game is still a learning process for me, so I still know I have a lot to learn, but I DO see myself in the future playing some no-limit. I was just curious what influenced your change to no-limit poker.

Thanks -

12-04-2005, 06:08 PM
I switched because I find limit poker incredibly boring and No Limit exciting and fun.

Zarathustra888
12-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Muthaf**king draw out b**ards and the swings did it for me. I'm never going back, ever. I tried but the boredom was killing me slowly.

emil3000
12-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Limit is sweet, I play 10/20 limit sometimes, when I am bored. It is fun to pound.

12-04-2005, 06:26 PM
I changed over after not being able to get people off of draws. In NL I feel I can control whats going on and get better reads, atleast for the limits I play.

FlyingStart
12-04-2005, 06:50 PM
I was exclusivly playing limit and had just started playing shorthanded a little higher when I discovered that pokerroom had a great signup bonus. The problem was that the bonus was kinda slow to clear on the limit tables.. So I sat down at 4 100$ NL tables with a bankroll of 600$ to clear a bonus of 300$. I was gonna play supertight and not get involved in any big pots without the nuts. Before I knew it my bankroll was down to 500$ and I was getting scared because that was much money then. Then I started running hot and by the time I had cleared the bonus I was up to 1200$ /images/graemlins/smile.gif never looked back since..

Isura
12-04-2005, 07:21 PM
I started with limit. Then moved to no-limit SNGs and MTTs. Then gradually to no-limit cash games. Cash games are were the money is for good players.

emil3000
12-04-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I started with limit. Then moved to no-limit SNGs and MTTs. Then gradually to no-limit cash games. Cash games are were the money is for good players.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bah. Money is everywhere.

jasonHoldEm
12-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Burnout/variance - I had two negative 250+ BB slides in 2005 at 3/6 and 5/10 (January and September) and after the second one I decided limit poker wasn't fun anymore.

J

pokernose
12-04-2005, 09:26 PM
I felt that NL suited my skills better. I'm a very aggressive player. I like to bet, raise, bluff, check-raise, etc. Those skills tend to favor a game where fewer people are in the pot. Limit tends to favor math skills and being able to play family pots, which are unfortuntately my weak areas.

BigBiceps
12-04-2005, 09:32 PM
The weak players make bigger mistakes in no-limit that can cost them their stack.

Ie. although AK v AQ (or even AJ/AT) is a big mistake in limit too, after flopping the ace, the amount you can extract from your opponent is limited in limit! Weak players have a hard time folding top pair.

Maulik
12-04-2005, 09:40 PM
the reason I need the NL skill set-

the "big game" at school isn't limit.

12-04-2005, 09:43 PM
a wise man once said, limit is a science, no limit is an art.

i agree. i switched from limit to NL this past summer mostly because i cracked under peer pressure. at the time, i was living with my 3 friends who kick ass in poker (one of which is a very well known, higher stakes internet poker player). they all saw me slummin it, making 2.5 BB/100 at limit (a decent win rate, btw). anyway, they kept trying to convince me to switch, until finally, i broke under the pressure. perhaps it was my friend's second plasma screen that he purchased that made me switch. anyway, haven't looked back since. it was nice having friends who knew way more about no limit to coach me for the first few sessions. it's much more exciting, plus the winrate is WAY better. (i'm now around 10 BB/100).

--solids