PDA

View Full Version : Openraise 97o in the SB?

TStoneMBD
12-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Game is 10/20. BB is 29/6 after 79 hands. Everyone folds to you in the SB and you hold 97o.

12-04-2005, 11:28 AM
I call and autobet the flop. He doesnt look like the type who raises much and he wont fold with those stats imo.

einbert
12-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Fold and it's not very close, you need a much stronger hand to play here.

Spicymoose
12-04-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold and it's not very close, you need a much stronger hand to play here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although this may be a fold, I do think it is close. We definetly don't need a much stronger hand. We should be liberally stealing here.

Rubeskies
12-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Tight passive?

This is my favorite kind of opponent to steal against.

Easy steal for me as long he isn't one of those rare tight/passive/agressives.

Surfbullet
12-04-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tight passive?

This is my favorite kind of opponent to steal against.

Easy steal for me as long he isn't one of those rare tight/passive/agressives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Digs
12-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Depends on what the dude's bb defense numbers look like.

Agianst someone with those preflop numbers I guess this is typically a raise but a lot of those guys are blind defense crusaders

surfdoc
12-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Well, you are slight dog to a random hand and OOP but this guy is pretty passive. I think it really is going to come down to what else has been happening at the table and how often you have been stealing as well as how often he has been defending. This hand seems vaguely familiar. *wink*

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 53.7022 % 51.48% 02.23% { random }
Hand 2: 46.2978 % 44.07% 02.23% { 97o }

Rubeskies
12-04-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 53.7022 % 51.48% 02.23% { random }
Hand 2: 46.2978 % 44.07% 02.23% { 97o }

[/ QUOTE ]

This, plus you'll take it without a flop sometimes, and also take in on the flop quite often. Combine this with the fact that he is unlikely to play back against you with air makes this an easy steal IMO.

einbert
12-04-2005, 04:14 PM
I don't think we have near enough hands on this guy to pin him as tight passive. For all we know he could easily be a 30/20, 25/12, or 30/10. And there are plenty of 30/10s that limp too much preflop but are tough and aggressive after the flop.

It might be closer than I thought but OOP I don't like this hand enough especially without a solid read on my opponent so I drop it.

12-04-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, you are slight dog to a random hand and OOP BUT there's 1.5 SB of dead money in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

oreogod
12-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Tstone asked this question in IRC last night, I told him I probably raise, but he didnt have the Fold BB stat on him so if someone wanted to fold, Id have no problem with that, but me...I prolly hit it up.

12-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Hahahaha Tstone....

I went to take the poll. Clicked fold, then changed it to raise, then changed it fold again. This is pretty close.

His numbers indicate that so far he's been semi-tight and pretty passive preflop. We really don't know how tight or how passive and how he handles blind situations.

We may have a good amount of preflop or flop steal equity, but we're still OOP and a dog to a random hand. Add in the fact that we might be multi-tabling and this becomes a "fold ahead of time" checkbox.

12-04-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This, plus you'll take it without a flop sometimes, and also take in on the flop quite often. Combine this with the fact that he is unlikely to play back against you with air makes this an easy steal IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remeber this is somewhat compensated for by the fact that you are getting three bet here reasonably liberally, even by tightish opponents; and they get the same advantages with the iniative here; also, the fact that they are in position decreases your equity fairly significantly when they peel flop, then auto bet when you check to them.

Despite this, I think its close; I know I'd raise 89o there and 8To there.

Rubeskies
12-04-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Remeber this is somewhat compensated for by the fact that you are getting three bet here reasonably liberally, even by tightish opponents;

[/ QUOTE ]

He is also passive so I don't think you are getting 3-bet that often except by very strong hands which helps you play against him postflop because it narrows his hand range.

[ QUOTE ]
also, the fact that they are in position decreases your equity fairly significantly when they peel flop, then auto bet when you check to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not checking to this opponent on the turn on pretty much any board so this is not a problem for me.

Guy McSucker
12-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Heh. I was ignoring this thread. Then I was playin' some $10/20, got 97o in the SB, and it was folded to me.

I raised.

Then I answered the poll.

I basically can't help myself when it's folded to me in the SB. If my hand doesn't make me want to puke, I raise.

Guy.

12-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Depends on what sort of grief I can expect post flop. A lot of my pre-flop decisions come down to this.

mmcd
12-04-2005, 09:45 PM
yes

DeathDonkey
12-04-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I basically can't help myself when it's folded to me in the SB. If my hand doesn't make me want to puke, I raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember the last time I ever agreed with anything more strongly than I agree with this /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-DeathDonkey

four eight suited
12-04-2005, 10:15 PM
If i remember this correctly from the video, hero did not have many hands at all on the oppenent. This play struck me as funny when I saw it on the video, but I figured there was a good reason for it. If the stats were from a bigger sample or included info about bb denfense the answer could be more defnite, but yeah, we all know that.