PDA

View Full Version : Sit and Go vs. Multi Table ???

KaptainKangoroo
07-09-2003, 11:53 PM
I usually play Sit and Go tournaments... I can usually do good at them, basically by playing real tight up front, only play rock solid hands, until several people are out... in which case i'm either a big shortstack if i didn't make any hands, or semi stack... I can then usually get my stacks up to par once i feel its time to shoot the cork out of my ass and become extremely agressive...

However, this tactic doesn't seem to work for me in Multi-table tournaments. I sit and sit and sit, and the table stays full, so I usually do poorly in multi-table tournaments. I have a multi this weekend, and was wondering if i could get some pointers on how to switch it up for a Multi Table tournament???

Thanx
Kapt

Greg (FossilMan)
07-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Your sng strategy is more apt for a final table situation, a spot where it can gain you equity to sit up while others bust out.

But, in a multi-table event, it doesn't do you much good to outlast 3/4 of the field and still have a stack that is no bigger than you started with. At that point, the blinds are high for everybody, and especially for you with 1/4 of the average stack. When your stack is that small, you only get one hand to play, win or lose.

You should play a multi-table much like a cash game. If a hand has +EV in the given situation, play it, even if there is a lot of volatility introduced by doing so. You need to build a stack of some significant size in order to even creep into the money, so you have to win some chips. You can do it in the early or middle stages, but with the blinds so big in the middle, you won't have multiple chances unless you win the first two or three.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)