PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods in Germany

05-20-2002, 08:37 PM
I just watched the highlights of Tiger going head to head with the Uk's own Colin Montgomerie in the German Open.

it was a great matchup with Tiger holing from 20 feet on the 72nd to take it to extra holes and breaking Monty on the 3rd extra hole.

Then I found out something amazing.

For winning Tiger earned about $450000. Not a bad weeks work.

But, he also received $2million just for showing up.

Does anyone else find this payment bordering on the obscene?

Cheers,

Keith

05-20-2002, 09:28 PM
There are several overseas tourneys that Tiger regularly participates in, and I think he receives the same $2mm fee for all of them. One is in Saudi Arabia, one is in Australia, etc.

The tournament hosts wouldn't pay it if they didn't recoup it in some tangible fashion. So I am assuming that his presence is indeed worth $2mm.

The interesting thing about the "Tiger Effect" is the impact it will have on domestic tourney TV rights fees. Tournaments where Tiger participates have ratings significantly higher than non-Tiger events. You will continue to see PGA tourney broadcast rights soar in the (probable) Tiger events and remain stagnant in the other events.

05-20-2002, 10:04 PM
Not obscene at all. I agree with everything Clarkmeister said, plus would add that Tiger tends to play well in tournaments where he collects appearance money. He gives people their money's worth. He is someone worth paying to see. I have not yet seen Tiger in person, but will someday. I am happy to pay for it.

Also, do you begrudge a great musician or conductor from making a big fee for an appearance? What about opera singers? Compare Pavarotti's recent effort (none) at the Met with Tiger's in Germany.