PDA

View Full Version : How do you have more than 2 monitors?

RikaKazak
12-04-2005, 12:24 AM
I have 2 FPS 2001's but need another monitor BAD, to get a 3rd monitor do I have to get another video card? Can it be any video card, or does it have to be the same video card? (I know nothing about computers::::I have Dell XPS GEN 4 so I'm assuming that it's good enough of a computer to have 3 monitors)

_dave_
12-04-2005, 01:03 AM
In all likelyhood, it has to be a PCI video card (not PCI Express). Any will do, one with a DVI connector will probably be better, presuming you are running your 2001FPs on DVI already.

Just fit the second viddeo card + 3rd monitor, WinXP will take care of the rest.

dave.

RikaKazak
12-04-2005, 05:17 AM
Hey, thanks man, that helps a lot, I'm going to get 3 monitors now HEHEHEHEHEHEH!!!!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

RikaKazak
12-04-2005, 05:19 AM
ohh, and i run one on each type cause that's the kind of "ports" or whatever came wiht my computer, what's the difference? and does it really matter?

Nomad84
12-04-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ohh, and i run one on each type cause that's the kind of "ports" or whatever came wiht my computer, what's the difference? and does it really matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't see a difference in picture quality between the two, don't worry about it. If you can, you might consider getting a second video card with dual DVI. That way you could move one of the existing monitors to DVI, as well as the new one, so that they will all run on DVI, giving you the best picture quality possible. Most people say that the difference is minor if it's even noticible. You are using both now, so you can decide for yourself.

12-04-2005, 01:43 PM
So right now I have dual monitors running on an AGP-slot ATI AIW card. Can I get any PCI video card and assume that it will allow a third monitor?

RikaKazak
12-04-2005, 04:57 PM
which one is which, I'm assuming the "white" one is better than the blue because my old crappy monitor only has the blue one.

smoore
12-04-2005, 05:49 PM
DVI (the good one) is larger, rectangular and usually white

dsub (the old kind) is d-shaped, has 15 pins and is normally blue.