PDA

View Full Version : AKo hand

haakee
07-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Aggressive 9-handed 20-40 with about 3 loose players. Fairly tight fairly passive player who usually plays 8-16 and 6-12 (i.e. may be playing w/scared money) open-raises in EP. He perceives me as very tight and very solid. I 3-bet from middle position with AKo. Loose BB calls, and EP calls. 3 of us see the flop.

Flop comes AT8 (suits not important). Checked to me, I bet, only EP calls.

Turn is a blank. Check-check.

River is an ace. EP bets, I raise. He calls. I take it down, of course. He said he had KK.

I checked the turn because I figured if he had AQ or AJ he'd be very afraid of AK and only call me down, and he'd fold JJ-KK.

Ulysses
07-09-2003, 06:47 PM
I checked the turn because I figured if he had AQ or AJ he'd be very afraid of AK and only call me down
That sounds fine.

and he'd fold JJ-KK.
In my experience, I find big pairs more often call down in this situation than not.

Bet the turn.

Ed S.
07-10-2003, 12:58 AM
I agree.

Bet the turn.

Ed S.

stripsqueez
07-10-2003, 02:22 AM
hard to argue with the dull certainty of betting the turn but i'm prepared to give it a go

from a scientific perspective it often wont cost any bets to check the turn , the result of the hand demonstrates one way that is true - i know lots of players who cant resist betting with any ace once you have checked the turn + it may be that checking the turn will get more bets such as your opponent having a big pair that would fold the turn if you bet - as suggested - or simply inducing a bluff on the river from a hand that was folding to a bet on the turn

i dont think checking the turn can be justified from a scientific perspective but i think its close - what sells it to me is the reaction of my opponent when he discovers what i have done - the sudden knowledge that someone is thinking about what your thinking about can be very upsetting to even the best , most experienced players - and a good player can turn that into lots of bets on subsequent hands

Pot-A
07-10-2003, 09:36 PM
Yuck. Don't get into the habit of betting your draws and checking made hands - that's very unprofitable in the long run. If he had AJ or AQ you could very easily have cost yourself a BB here.

He should have folded when you raised, unless you bluff a lot on the river.

bad beetz
07-11-2003, 04:19 AM
congradulations on extracting the maximum amount of money from this guy. I bet he had something marginally worse than KK, too.

Why does he feel he has to call that river raise? Do you call it?

I am honored to have some stupid [censored] that I said in your quote. Drink pots suck.