PDA

View Full Version : I'm posting this here because...

goofball
12-03-2005, 10:09 PM
I'm not really sure. It just seems like a mundane hand but I'm unable to find myself entirely satisfied with it.

Solid thinking player opens in the CO, I 3bet A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif on the button, only the CO calls.

Flop is K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

He checks, I bet he calls.

Turn is a Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif

He checks I check...

Is there ever any possible reason to justify checking there?

gonzopro
12-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Temporary insanity, otherwise no.

Greg J
12-03-2005, 10:19 PM
I think it's a routine value bet. I'd be interested to see what yr thoughts are behind checking this through.

12-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Maybe if you had a weaker hand like JJ/TT that has a 6-out draw, but probably has to fold to a CR against the COs opening range.

I think you lose value too often not to bet here with TPTK.

12-03-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a routine value bet. I'd be interested to see what yr thoughts are behind checking this through.

[/ QUOTE ]

12-03-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe if you had a weaker hand like JJ/TT that has a 6-out draw, but probably has to fold to a CR against the COs opening range.

I think you lose value too often not to bet here with TPTK.

[/ QUOTE ]

12-03-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there ever any possible reason to justify checking there?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't like money??

That, or he showed you his pocket queens before making the check on the turn.

12-03-2005, 11:15 PM
I assume that you meant to type that villain "open raises in the CO". If so, he could have a wide range of hands.

If betting this turn is not right, I have a serious leak in my game.

milesdyson
12-03-2005, 11:22 PM
the only hand that beats you is KQ. sure it's possible, but so is KT/KJ/JJ/TT. hopefully this thinking player is not thinking about check calling a flopped set with 99/88 and check raising the turn.

goofball
12-04-2005, 12:05 AM
So, I actually bet in the hand, and maybe it's always right to do so but let's talk about it. In general if you slip into doing things in certain situations because that's what you do, or whatever, you can start to leak chips out the wazzu.

So villian is a good player and presumably knows that I am as well (to whatever extent that is true). Put yourself in villian's shoes and ask yourself what range you have to have here to do something besides fold.

You've 1) opened in the CO, 2) checked and called the flop, and 3) checked and watched me bet the not-a-blank turn.

(open means open raise. WHen people come into pots first they raise more often, so if i mean open limp i'll say so. Besides, I did say I 3bet and I can't 3bet an open limp /images/graemlins/smile.gif).

12-04-2005, 12:26 AM
Assuming the CO opens with maybe top 15-20%, and you three-bet with maybe top 10% (although I think a three-betting range is going to be tighter), most of the time I think it's an easy check-call by the CO on the turn with this board.

Edit: Wow, this was a weak analysis. Probably not such an easy check-call. Pot size is 5.75BB assuming you bet the turn, and the CO will fold the river with less than TP, but will possibly collect one BB when he makes two pair or better (as you'll fold to a CR when making a value-bet/check behind sometimes).

As such, anything with six outs or better shouldn't fold the turn, and given the board, a lot of hands will have at least a six-out draw or already be made. But the CO has to consider that the outs may be dirty, and may fold the turn when a call would correct. I don't think the smaller pocket pairs are peeling the flop after the three-bet, so that leaves drawing hands/hands with showdown value which will probably continue.