PDA

View Full Version : wrap+flush draws

12-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Several times at the PLO100 this week I've been in situations similar to where the flop was 972 and Im holding JT8x on the button with a flush draw as well, say to the J.

On the flop, UTG bets pot, MP calls, and I call. Then the turn rags, and UTG bets pot again followed by MP's call. In this situation, should I even consider this a flush draw? Or do I have to even eliminate my straight outs that make the flush here, since it seems likely that MP is drawing to the flush.

joewatch
12-03-2005, 10:15 PM
This topic has been discussed many times. I suggest you read the excellent chapter in Reuben/Ciaffone's PL&NL Poker, "Drawing Hands".

12-03-2005, 11:20 PM
You have position. Use it! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Raise it up on the flop. You don't really want to be playing this 3-handed, as you don't know which of your outs are good or not. Find out how serious the flop bettor is and/or buy yourself some more outs.

If you are reraised, you will likely have enough equity to call and you stand a fair chance of winning the pot with your raise.

BluffTHIS!
12-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Raising in these situations (or betting out the turn when first to act even though you know you will be raised) in order to try to get rid of a 3rd player who is tight enough to fold and isn't pot committed by his remaining stack size, is often the best play. And if not, then folding in order to avoid drawing to a straight split/non-nut flush is often the best.

12-04-2005, 01:17 AM
I would imagine then, that without a read such as in this case, I should fold this given the typical Party PLO100 player will certainly not lay down his flush draw for any dollar amount.

BluffTHIS!
12-04-2005, 04:17 AM
If from their past play I strongly suspected one player had a set and the other was a player who would always see the river with the nut flush draw and nothing else regardless of pot odds, then I might be willing to continue to play a very good (more than 8 out) straight draw in position 3 way, assuming there would be money left to bet on the end. But you also have to consider that against tighter players who make top or middle set when there is a straight draw present, that they will usually have a couple nearby cards and thus a couple of your outs in their hand. So you need to factor that in too.