PDA

View Full Version : Satellite internet connection????

savman
12-03-2005, 03:45 PM
I have a contract on a house where DSL nor cable is available. I am researching alternative means of internet connection. Does anyone here connect to the internet via satellite or verizon broadband? If so, what has been your experience with the connection? Is it fast? Do you experience frequent connectivity problems? What about affordablity? Any resonse is appreciated.

savman
12-03-2005, 04:19 PM
ok it appears i am no where near verizon broadband coverage, so thats out. i went on Dish Network and DirecTV websites and the extent of internet connection they offered was a service agreemnet with DSL service providers. this is not looking good. i must have internet. can i play poker on dial up? i mean how much informaion is really being sent....btw i multitable. also, i thought DSL ran through the phone line. is this correct? if so, why is DSL not available anywhere phone lines are run. i have read something about distance from a DSL hub. any thoughts?

RikaKazak
12-03-2005, 05:09 PM
I used T-Mobile satellite internet for about a year. It's the equivalent of 56K and it is 100% fine for playing up to 8 tables on 1 site. Surfing and playing 8 was not good, but for just playing, it was fine. It cost me $250 for the card and $30 a month and had to sign a 1 year agreement, but that was like 2 years ago, so check them out.

Ray Zee
12-03-2005, 07:29 PM
if you are more than 18,000 feet from a booster station they wont hook you up. so enjoy sitting in front of your computer like me and waiting patiently for pages to load.

icepick
12-03-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used T-Mobile satellite internet for about a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

No such thing. T-Mobile's internet service works via their cell phone towers, just like Verizon's.

If you're so far out in the sticks that you can't get cable, or DSL, you're not going to get broadband from a cell phone company either.

In my experience, satellite is workable, but has pretty low throughput, and very very high latency. Poker may work on it, but it'll be painfull for everything else.

Consider moving.

RikaKazak
12-03-2005, 09:36 PM
sorry, I must of used the wrong term, basically, you can get internet where you get cell phone coverage at the speed of dial up. Other than that, where the heck do you live man? MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wonderwes
12-04-2005, 05:05 AM
Satellite internet is slower than basic DSL. If you live in a major city, Verizon Wireless now offers citywide Wi-Fi (you use a big attena adapter) for $60 a month. You can not get cable internet where you live?

Stu Pidasso
12-04-2005, 08:07 AM
I have a verizon air card that I use with my laptop. Sometimes when I am in areas where I am showing no coverage I will hook up an external antenna I bought from Radio Shack(around $40 for the antenna and adapter). The antenna is often just enough to pick up a signal.

There are other companies that offer wireless internet service by using line of sight microwave beams. They use repeaters to beam the signal from house to house.

Stu

patrick_mcmurray
12-05-2005, 03:48 PM
I have played 10 tables on dial up no problem (it might cut out for a moment once a night). I live in the UK. regards

12-05-2005, 05:30 PM
You may or may not know this already....With any "Dish" internet all the downloads come from the satellite. Makes sense right? Ok, but all the up loads go over your phone line. There can be some big time lag from when you press a link or upload a file to you seeing a response from a server. This would be a big deal if we were talking about on-line gaming (of the bang bang/kiddie kind) and not gambling, but I think it should be quick enough for most poker sites.

AEKDBet
12-06-2005, 12:12 AM
Good thread, I'd like to hear more.

FWIW I remember reading (and being impressed from an ingeniuity standpoint)
that Eric Lindgren would rent limos/drivers
for trips because he could still turn a tidy profit from his laptop & satellite connection. I imagine he was in vegas / California though, not Montana. Any difference there RayZee? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's some info from Wikipedia. Be sure to check out the other links at the bottom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_internet

icepick
12-06-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good thread, I'd like to hear more.

FWIW I remember reading (and being impressed from an ingeniuity standpoint)
that Eric Lindgren would rent limos/drivers
for trips because he could still turn a tidy profit from his laptop & satellite connection. I imagine he was in vegas / California though, not Montana. Any difference there RayZee? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's some info from Wikipedia. Be sure to check out the other links at the bottom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_internet

[/ QUOTE ]

No one uses satellite internet in a car. He's using a wireless phone. Satellite requires a dish for downlink, and a phoneline for uplink. Limo's don't come with those.

gusser
12-06-2005, 02:51 AM
savman,

Satellite internet connections usually suffer horrible latency issues so i don't know how well it'd work for poker. The information is beamed into space then back down to earth which would seem relatively quick moving at the speed of light, but is much slower moving then a traditional internet connnection. I would second looking into a T-Mobile or Sprint data connection. They are typically about twice the speed of dial up and the even have dedicated cards so you don't have to get a cellphone to use it.

gus