PDA

View Full Version : That sinking feeling (using a live read)

PokerBob
12-03-2005, 03:42 PM
canterbury 15/30 9 handed
I have been at the table for only 1 orbit. I have never seen villain before in my life. There is one monkey trapped in the middle pre-flop.

Folds to villain in MP preflop who opens, villains CC's, folds to me in the BB with KK and I 3 bet, villain makes it 4 bets, monkey CC' again, I cap it at five, villain now tries to make it 6 bets but the dealer tells him the cap is 5, monkey calls.

Flop 3 players: Qxx

What's my line? Anyone consider letting it go?

Entity
12-03-2005, 03:58 PM
He can't ever have Kings here? I would def. check the flop though. I'm calling down when I've never seen someone before. I played against a guy who made it 4 OOP against me last night but couldn't call my river bet on a KTQ92 board.

BWebb
12-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Definitely not on the flop. You'll probably be getting 17-1 on your call, more than enough with implied odds.

12-04-2005, 07:51 AM
He might have AA, of course, but there are some other hands he might have, and I just can't imagine letting it go on the flop.

I think a check and call on the flop is in order, with an eye on making a play at the pot come the turn.

ErrantNight
12-04-2005, 11:08 AM
afraid of a jack?

Entity
12-04-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
afraid of a jack?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lord knows. He had called me down earlier with 44 on a KQJ66 board after I 3-bet him preflop, and now he checkfolded the river after capping preflop on a KT9Q2. The main point being that these guys aren't always the brightest and I'd get myself to a showdown cheaply here with no reads on villain -- last night I saw a guy make it 4 bets to go (and played pretty aggressively) with QQ one hand, and the very next hand he coldcalled a UTG raise with the exact same hand and put almost no bets in postflop on a very innocuous board. So basically when my hand isn't supervulnerable, doesn't need a ton of protection, and I think I've got decent showdownability, I'm gonna get myself to a showdown. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

PassiveCaller
12-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Why in gods name would you want to make a play at this pot?

Abbaddabba
12-04-2005, 04:51 PM
In most cases against most players, you are behind.
There are enough players out there who would overplay J's or AK/AQ to make it worth showing down, given the pot size.

Considering the implied odds if he does have QQ (or AA), you're easily getting odds to call 1 on the flop and maybe even 1 on the turn even if you KNEW you were behind.

Absent of heavy action, i would check/call, check/call and maybe bet/call a brick river.