PDA

View Full Version : 20/40 For Grisgra - taking K-hi to showdown... KTo

Surfbullet
12-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Villain here is a 58/40/2/48 with 65 attsb. raises anything and everything. Continuation bets too much.

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Surf is BB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Surf calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Surf checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Surf calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Surf needs a plan!

How is just calling down?

If I expect to be ahead here enough, should I c/r the turn to prevent him from drawing to 6 live outs? I doubt I'll fold a better hand.

Does a donkbet just set me up to fold?

Surf

wheelz
12-03-2005, 03:10 PM
i think calling down is best.

Lmn55d
12-03-2005, 03:12 PM
if he has like J8 he has 6 outs to win and 8 to split.

When that 2 comes you split with KJ/KQ and are ahead of a lot of his raising range. I would call down rather than checkraise for the following reasons:

1) Checkraising gives him a chance to 3bet you off the best hand or one with a lot of outs. This sort of player is exactly the type to do so.

2) THere's a good chance he'll bluff the river if he misses so making him fold a 6 outer isn't particularly great.

3) He probably won't fold a 6 outer.

cartman
12-03-2005, 03:18 PM
I also think calling down is clearly the best choice. Heads up gainst psychopaths like this I do my best to get the preflop betting capped anytime I have showdown value (KT definitely qualifies against him) and then showdown almost always. Obviously I do so as cheaply as possible unimproved and as expensively as possibly otherwise /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Cartman

Rubeskies
12-03-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Continuation bets too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

What more do you need to know?

A possible place for a donkbet could be the river depending on the card, but certainly not the turn. Let him bet your hand for you.

12-03-2005, 03:51 PM
The times you pick up a last cannon on the river will make up for the times that he catches in this small pot. Don't worry about protecting your hand.

TStoneMBD
12-03-2005, 05:09 PM
very easy cc cc imo

Surfbullet
12-03-2005, 06:27 PM
thx for the replies - that was what I thought.

Anyway, i c/c'd turn. River was a 6, I c/c again. Villain had Q6 and MHING. He said something along the lines of "OMG k-hi you are so bad." For some reason my poker confidence takes serious blows when players trash-talk me, becaues my last month or 2 has me reeling. I think i'm going to turn off player chat. Just a checkup.

Surf

Subfallen
12-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Well, if it will make you feel any better, yesterday I thought for a while, made a K-high calldown on a nearly identical board, and was shown a full house. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yesterday was just like that.

lastcoyote
12-03-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For some reason my poker confidence takes serious blows when players trash-talk me

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny. Turning off chat was the best thing I could've done for my game. I'm so much less prone to tilt now. Even when someone gives me a genuine compliment on my play it puts me on tilt a little. Now I just play like an automoton. The other players aren't even real to me and it's so much better for me mentally.

Grisgra
12-03-2005, 11:09 PM
If it makes you feel any better this hand just happened:

5h 10/20. I have K5 /images/graemlins/club.gif in the SB. I raise, he calls.

Flop is 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Not bad. I bet, he raises, I 3-bet, he calls.

Turn is another 6. I bet, he raises, I call.

River is ANOTHER 6. I check, he bets, I think about folding, slap myself, and call. He shows J7o and goes "WTF? I used to have respect for you."

Hahahahahahaha! I tell him I can't say the same, and the game continues . . .

I only turned on chat after I won the hand, by the way. If I think there's any chance I'm being trash-talked or whatnot, the chat is OFF (that's the default) so as to not distract me. But I'll turn it on after winning a good hand as so to determine whether my opponent might be going on tilt.

Victor
12-03-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thx for the replies - that was what I thought.

Anyway, i c/c'd turn. River was a 6, I c/c again. Villain had Q6 and MHING. He said something along the lines of "OMG k-hi you are so bad." For some reason my poker confidence takes serious blows when players trash-talk me, becaues my last month or 2 has me reeling. I think i'm going to turn off player chat. Just a checkup.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

i talk [censored] to a lot of tags even when they play well. its fun.

Surfbullet
12-04-2005, 01:24 AM
wow, nh. What made you call the river? It woulda sucked if he was "bluffing" with AcXc.

Surf

Surfbullet
12-04-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's you, I hate you. You don't go around claiming to be "the best SH player on the site" do you? It's amazing that after hundreds of thousands of hands of winning poker I can let some other TAG wreck my confidence after a losing session and his trash talk.

Surf

Lmn55d
12-04-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can let some other TAG wreck my confidence after a losing session and his trash talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dawg if this is true you definitely need to turn off chat. You are probably one of the best players in those games why do you care what some donk wannnabe says to you??

Victor
12-04-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's you, I hate you. You don't go around claiming to be "the best SH player on the site" do you? It's amazing that after hundreds of thousands of hands of winning poker I can let some other TAG wreck my confidence after a losing session and his trash talk.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

no, thats not me. my [censored] is funny.

Surfbullet
12-04-2005, 04:46 AM
thx lmn, that means alot to me.

idk, the variance just gets to my confidence - i've historically been a perfectionist and when my hard work doesn't yield results i try harder, and when that doesn't work i get frustrated. :\

If there's one thing I know, it's that I've got lots to learn about poker even though I'm happy with my game. Maybe I take that humble attitude too far.

Surf

Grisgra
12-04-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wow, nh. What made you call the river? It woulda sucked if he was "bluffing" with AcXc.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

Lord knows I've "picked off" enough of those bluffs with my K-high before, but something about the action here just seemed goofy. I couldn't believe the action, frankly -- I think he would have reraised pf with any pocket or ace. And by the river it was very unlikely he had a six.

redbeard
12-04-2005, 10:30 PM
i'd say grisgra (as usual) has the best policy for the chat box. i used to always keep it off. my problem was i was reading it and laughing at some of the funny stuff people say and was quite entertained. however, i thought about it and decided i would be much better off spending my time studying the actions of other players on other tables to get reads on them as opposed to entertaining myself with the chat box. but grisgra makes a good point that the chat box often times can be used to find out if someone is about to go on tilt before it happens. very valuable information. by the way surf, you are one of about 10 to 15 people i search out on a daily basis to read posts and replies from. so if that is any indication you needn't worry what others think you are probably so far out of their league that you shouldn't care what they say.