PDA

View Full Version : 7 steps to easy spewing

Wynton
12-03-2005, 02:47 PM
First, get Ac8c in the sb.

Second, manage to have everyone fold to you, so you open-raise, to which BB just calls.

Third, flop the nut flush draw. Flop of 3d Jc 6c.

Fourth, bet the draw, since you raised pf and might win right there.

Fifth, when bb reraises, you 3-bet, figuring bb may be bluffing, and you have plenty of outs even if behind. You're not sure what to think when bb just calls.

Sixth, when only a 5s falls on turn, feel obligated to lead bet.

Seventh, after bb merely calls your turn bet, another blank balls (9s). Now, your only chance of winning seems to be firing another bet, which you naturally do.

Spartan1983
12-03-2005, 03:42 PM
I would have probably check/call the turn, but otherwise ok.

12-03-2005, 04:05 PM
I don't mind your flop 3-bet because your equity with the ace, possibly the 8 and definitely the flush draw is close to 50 percent. But if the point of the 3-bet is leading the turn, I think it sucks. Villain folds after raising the turn here almost never. In fact, we take the 3-bet flop/bet turn line exactly when we have a big hand and we want Villain to call down out of curiousity.

A really odd but fun line to take might be 3-betting the flop and then check/raising the turn. Villain might check the turn through and that's OK, we basically bought ourselves a river card for half a BB on the flop. But if he bets it we can raise him with a considerable amount of fold equity - if we get 3-bet, we're only paying one more bet to get to the river, and anyway our ace high will be losing at that point anyway so we don't have to go to showdown. The c/r will occasionally push him off a better hand and often make him incorrectly fold a hand we beat but has outs to call (KQo, for instance.) Also, even when we are 3-bet on the turn we aren't losing a full bet because our flush draw comes in 1/5 of the time and probably wins us an extra bet on the river when we trifecta.

I hope that made sense. By the way, this line I'm advocating, is it a screw play? I'm too n00b to know.

Chairman Wood
12-03-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have probably check/call the turn, but otherwise ok.

[/ QUOTE ] what's the point of 3-betting the flop if you are not going to fire again to push him off again on the turn, or perhaps c/r like suggested?

jba
12-03-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

A really odd but fun line to take might be 3-betting the flop and then check/raising the turn. Villain might check the turn through and that's OK, we basically bought ourselves a river card for half a BB on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

if the turn checks through, villain is getting a free card, not us. if you want to c/r the turn to get him to fold, just call his flop raise. play it like a good overpair, not like a sneaky draw.

OP: I play this the same. if villain is passive I go into drawing mode after he raises the flop.

12-03-2005, 04:42 PM
OK jba I agree with you. Was having some fun with FPS but you're right ... you can't have the cake and eat it too. Passive is probably fine here, either that or calling the flop raise and c/r the turn.

Spartan1983
12-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Is the only way were going to win the hand is push the villain off his? We 3bet the flop because we "might" be ahead, and we have the nut flush draw. Is it mandatory to bet the turn because of the flop bet? I don't think so, even though I seem to lead out myself. It sucks to be raised on the turn with A high, heads up. I just think it's ok to reel in the aggression in the middle of the hand and call down.

thesharpie
12-04-2005, 01:08 AM
I don't think he's folding enough hands that beat you on the river. Only hand that might fold is a better ace, but most would reraise preflop, and AT/A9 would only have 1 overcard on the turn and would probably release it there. I don't think any pair is folding after getting this far.

Wynton
12-04-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he's folding enough hands that beat you on the river. Only hand that might fold is a better ace, but most would reraise preflop, and AT/A9 would only have 1 overcard on the turn and would probably release it there. I don't think any pair is folding after getting this far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the river bet looks like an obvious spew now. I'm still not sure whether the turn bet made sense or not.

imitation
12-04-2005, 10:36 AM
i'd just call the flop raise so I can CR if I hit an A or club. Also I would consider CR a K or Q on the turn.