PDA

View Full Version : PP 3-6 Hand #1 - JJ overpair

Luke
07-09-2003, 11:19 AM
$3-6 PP full game. I had been playing aggressively the last couple of orbits, both preflop and postflop and I had particularly been tangling with the player to my left (the BB in this hand). So I played this hand thinking the table may have been underestimating the quality of my cards. The BB seemed to be a decent player but not good.

I'm in the SB with JcJd. UTG folds, UTG + 1 raises, UTG + 2 calls, folded to me, I reraise, BB calls, UTG + 1 caps, we all call. So 4 players for 4 bets to the flop.

Flop: [8c 7d 4h]

I check, BB bets, UTG calls, UTG1 calls, I raise, BB 3 bets, we all call.

Turn: [8c 7d 4h] 8d

I bet, BB raises, fold, fold, I 3 bet, BB caps, I call.

River: [8c 7d 4h 8d] 3s

I bet, BB calls.

How'd I play this? Results:

I lose to 65 and I don't think they were suited but I honestly don't remember.

rtucker5
07-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Wow. I think you played the hand fine until you 3 bet the turn and then led at the river. What did you think he had that you could beat? I think his play screamed I have an 8 at the minimum. He let you off the hook for 1 more bet. Once he capped the turn I would have check called the river and prayed he overplayed 10 10.

Luke
07-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Thanks for your reply. I picked this hand to post because I felt it was my worst played hand during a losing session. I'm hoping to get constructively ripped. But I will try to justify my play to an extent...

I know I was hyper-aggressive on this hand, but I did not put him on an 8 or 65 based on his preflop and flop play. Maybe he had 88, but unlikely percentage wise. So I figured him for AK, AQs, 99, TT, JJ, or QQ (most of which I beat) up until him capping the turn. Before that, I thought he was just trying to push people out of the pot (like he had tried with me a little earlier). Betting the river was a huge mistake - bigger than 3-betting the turn I think. I'll call it a mental hiccup.

Ps. Was the "wow" for my hyperness, his holding 65, or just the general action of the hand? Just curious.

Barry
07-09-2003, 01:41 PM
If you planned on leading the turn (which I wouldn't have after the BB 3 bet), why didn't you cap the flop?

Why bet the turn when the 8 falls? If you were behind on the flop to an 8, you're now way behind. The only thing you get ahead of on the turn is 74; and who would play 74 from the BB when it's been 3 bet preflop? With that board there are just too many ways to lose and I think that you have found a way to lose just about the maximum amount here. The turn 3-bet is probably the worse play, as the BB has got more $ into the pot at every opportunity post flop up to that point, and he does it again when he caps the turn.

I guess since you bet into him again on the river, he must fear the you have a boat since you've still pounding away, so he just calls the river.

Call me weak tight, but I would go into check call mode on the turn and river and hope he's got 99 or TT.

rtucker5
07-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Was the "wow" for my hyperness, his holding 65, or just the general action of the hand? Just curious.

The wow was for how aggressive you were on the turn. Without knowing anything about this player, I think you way overplayed your hand. Your response said he had tried to push you out of a pot earlier. That being the case, I can see a little more why you would push back. I am not totally shocked he had 65 for the straight. There are plenty of players that will see the flop from their big blind no matter how many bets it is to them.

lil'
07-09-2003, 03:52 PM
When you are 3-bet on the turn, that should be the most obvious sign in a long series of signs that tell you that you are behind and drawing to very few outs.

Ed Miller
07-09-2003, 07:36 PM
When your opponent 3-bets you on the flop and then 3-bets you again on the turn on an 8 7 4 8 board, and you 4-bet him on the turn with JJ... you are what we like to call a maniac.

Did you attempt to do any hand-reading? What hand do you put your opponent on here that you beat?

Luke
07-10-2003, 10:05 AM
When your opponent 3-bets you on the flop and then 3-bets you again on the turn on an 8 7 4 8 board, and you 4-bet him on the turn with JJ... you are what we like to call a maniac.

Did you attempt to do any hand-reading? What hand do you put your opponent on here that you beat?

Majorkong, you hurt my feelings... jk. I posted this hand with the hope of getting a little kick in the butt from posters like yourself that I have a lot of respect for.

I wouldn't say I "thought" he had any particular hand. I would say I HOPED he had TT or 99. Before the flop I tried to do some reasoning as to what he could have and those we're leading candidates. But I certainly didn't adjust my assessment very well postflop, obviously.

Some of the other posters were too gentle. I played this hand horribly. I played it like a maniac. And I'm not 100% sure why. I seem to have a hand like this every once in a while where I don't respect the player, I feel I'm better than him/her and therefore my cards must be. I guess you could call that tilt. In my defense, I feel I'm a fairly decent player who is improving, but does have momentary lapses of sanity.

Thank for the criticism - seriously.

Luke