PDA

View Full Version : My new mattress arrives today

Clarkmeister
12-03-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm psyched. I went against the OOT-recommended Tempurpedic mattress idea as neither I, nor my girlfriend thought they were comfy. In particular, I'm a restless sleeper which made the memory foam mattresses seem like a bad idea.

Our scientific "lay on every mattress in the building then pick the one we like best" method amazingly resulted in agreement on the most comfortable one. So we got a Chattam and Wells mattress, I don't recall the model, with a eurotop. Cal-King, so I am not only excited to get a real mattress, but also to have one that is finally long enough for me. Sweet.

spamuell
12-03-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not only excited to get a real mattress, but also to have one that is finally long enough for me

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah wtf is up with that? Most of my friends and I are too tall for most mattresses, I'd imagine that tons of people are, you'd have thought they'd do something about it.

Brom
12-03-2005, 12:48 PM
I think that most people dont sleep with their legs stretched out straight as far as they can go. It takes muscles to extend and straighten your legs, and most people can't keep such major muscles flexed while they sleep. Usually people end up in the fetal position or at least spoon a bit while they sleep, therefore the mattress can be shorter than your total length.

spamuell
12-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Yeah I don't stretch out all the time, but most people like to sometimes, right?

sfer
12-03-2005, 12:58 PM
The last time I went shopping for a mattress it was remarkably straightforward:

Salesman: How's this one.
Me: I need one firmer.

Salesman: How's this one.
Me: I need one firmer.

Salesman: This is the firmest mattress we have.
Me: I'll take it.

Brom
12-03-2005, 01:03 PM
I guess so, but I'm lucky that im less than 183 cm.

Clarkmeister
12-03-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I don't stretch out all the time, but most people like to sometimes, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, my head also comes to rest nowhere near the top of the bed. Maybe 18" or so away. So my feet are constantly hanging off at least part of the night.

Utah
12-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Did you consider a select comfortable "sleep by numbers"? If so, why didnt you chose it?

We need a new mattress as our 180 pound NewFoundland has destroyed our current one.

Clarkmeister
12-03-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you consider a select comfortable "sleep by numbers"? If so, why didnt you chose it?

We need a new mattress as our 180 pound NewFoundland has destroyed our current one.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they had it in the store, we tried it. We basically went from mattress to mattress laying down on them in two very large stores here in town. We ended up with the one we bought, the second choice was an Aireloom. This one was the only one that not only was soft, but was still supportive enough that I didn't feel like my head was lower than my feet when I layed down on it.

Rockatansky
12-03-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very considerate of you to get a new mattress for your wife and her bang buddy.

Utah
12-03-2005, 01:43 PM
They have their own stores here in the midwest. They are air based and they adjust on the fly. I like the idea because I through my back out lifting a few years ago deadlifting and I had surgery. It acts up and I want to be able to adjust, but it seems gimicky.

Will you be providing a follow-up mattress report?

Clarkmeister
12-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Ah. I don't think we tried any air-based ones. I'll post a follow up in a week or two after we've broken it in.

offTopic
12-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Hi Utah,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's kinky.

Throwing up in my mouth a little,
offTopic

DMBFan23
12-03-2005, 02:39 PM
So, like, if you put peanut butter on my balls and your dog licks it off, it's not cheating, right, because it's YOUR dog...get it? it's YOUR dog.

Clarkmeister
12-04-2005, 02:05 PM
FIrst night was good. I've been told it takes a full week to really get used to and figure out how a new mattress will work. I slept well. Two things stood out. First, it doesn't visually look that much bigger than our old queen bed, but it sleeps much bigger. It's awesome. Second, I had an honest-to-goodness nightmare for the first time in what's got to be many many years. I can't even recall the last time that happened. Maybe the mattress, while large and comfy, is evil. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

FWIW, the yorkie seems to love it as well.

Blarg
12-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Having a mattress where your feet don't hang over the edge is a joy and worth almost any price. It also keeps them much warmer! Congrats on having a good bed. A king is also very nice.

I've seen Chatham and Wells ones and laid on them before. The ones I tested were pretty nice.

I need a real firm mattress or my back goes kablooey. It can be hard finding a mattress that doesn't just start firm, but stays firm. But it's worth paying the money and doing the search.

Blarg
12-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Having dogs on my bed would be more than enough to give me nightmares.

Duke
12-04-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being knowledgeable about animals, what is a Newfoundland? A Goat?

~D

Eurotrash
12-04-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Not being knowledgeable about animals, what is a Newfoundland? A Goat?

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a very large dog.

think Saint Bernard sized, except black/brown in color.

Utah
12-04-2005, 04:04 PM
At Euro said, it is a massive shaggy dog that slobbers and sheds on everything. However, they are as about as gentle as a dog can get.

Our dog can reach the top of the fridge as we found his paw prints there once.

Blarg
12-04-2005, 05:52 PM
We had a Newfoundland once too. They often have severe skeletal problems, slobber like hell, have almost perfectly waterproof coats, are fantastic swimmers and have been used as rescue dogs for that reason, and even come under criticism for forcefully dragging people out of the water at beaches, the instinct is so strong. They absolutely love to swim. Their hair is incredibly long and hard to maintain. They are super friendly and easy to fall in love with.

Joseph Busti
12-04-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, like, if you put peanut butter on my balls and your dog licks it off, it's not cheating, right, because it's YOUR dog...get it? it's YOUR dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this possibly fit in here?

Utah
12-04-2005, 06:42 PM
I am worried about the skeletal problems and they dont live very long. Even though he is 2 years old I am already a bit freaked.

3 years ago I had to put down my 17 year old Corgi. It was easily the worst experience of my life. I had 3 vet visits schedule and never showed up. I finally paid my vet to come to my house and do it while he sat on my lap in front of the fire like we had a million times before.

bernie
12-05-2005, 06:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First, it doesn't visually look that much bigger than our old queen bed, but it sleeps much bigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was just a normal King, instead of a cali king, it would likely look bigger. I think cali kings aren't that much wider than queens, iirc.

b