PDA

View Full Version : Cold Call PF - is it ever good?

donkeyradish
12-03-2005, 10:35 AM
When is it a <u>good</u> play to cold call a PF raise outside of the blind positions?

Lately I noticed I have been doing this 0% of the time, what could I be missing?

newhizzle
12-03-2005, 10:43 AM
the only times id really cold/call is with a suited broadway type hand in a loose game that i think i will get a few callers behind me, or with a mid pair type hand in a real loose game when i dont think im going to be able to knock people out with a 3-bet, or maybe occcaisionally with like AQs against a tight raiser, but that should probably be a fold, generally unless you can anticipate a crowd, 3-bet or fold is the best way to go

edit: also just to be clear, i am mainly refering to cold/calling an openers raise, if theres already a bunch of players in, my calling range gets wider

Octopus
12-03-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When is it a <u>good</u> play to cold call a PF raise outside of the blind positions?

Lately I noticed I have been doing this 0% of the time, what could I be missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never cold-calling is not far wrong. That said, I will sometimes do it in certain situations. For example, if a couple loose, weak players limp early and an aggressive player raises them, I might be inclined to coldcall with something like KQs. However, I doubt this is clearly superior to folding or even raising.

chesspain
12-03-2005, 11:11 AM
There is nothing wrong with coldcalling with a PP if you know that enough players are along for the ride if you hit your set.

SackUp
12-03-2005, 01:22 PM
PP and AQs and KQs in multiway pots when you have position.

pauliewalnuts
12-03-2005, 01:29 PM
A couple situations I CC'd last night:

- KJs OTB after a bad player raised and another bad player called.

- QJs in LP after 2 bad players limped and a SLAA player raised.

Im not saying these were great spots, but since both hands had multiple bad players I thought it was +EV.

Clarkmeister
12-03-2005, 01:32 PM
The ideal situation is with an EP raiser, several other coldcallers, and you on the button with a pocket pair. You can expand to suited aces and larger suited connectors/broadway if you like as you get more comfortable with yoru postflop play. But if you are unsure, stick with the pairs.

einbert
12-03-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A couple situations I CC'd last night:

- KJs OTB after a bad player raised and another bad player called.

- QJs in LP after 2 bad players limped and a SLAA player raised.

Im not saying these were great spots, but since both hands had multiple bad players I thought it was +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think these are very good examples of profitable coldcalls.

Good luck,
einbert

12-03-2005, 02:22 PM
make sure to simply cold call AA and KK at any opportunity /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Goober
12-04-2005, 08:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
make sure to simply cold call AA and KK at any opportunity /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oddly enough, I think it's occasionally right to cold-call 3 bets with these - if you are in the sort of wild live game where it's virtually certain that someone will cap it if it goes to 3 bets PF.

12-04-2005, 12:17 PM
You would be much closer (but not entirely correct) to say that it is wrong to cold call FIRST IN after a raise. Even then there are situations to cold call with (a pocket pair at a table that is going to go six to the flop even with the raise) for example.

Octopus
12-04-2005, 06:05 PM
To clarify, I was trying to think of an example where I would just call first to act after a raiser. The more cold callers there are between me and the initial raiser, the more I will call with. (Both my odds and my relative position improve.) At some point I don't even think of it as cold calling.

Harv72b
12-04-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to think of an example where I would just call first to act after a raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Loose/passive table, with several VPIP &gt;40 players left to act behind you and a 70/3 player in the BB. UTG+1, a reasonable TAG, opens. You see JTs in UTG+2.

12-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Q9s in the sb after 6 limpers and a button raise, cold calling then hitting your straight is like heaven.