PDA

View Full Version : Ugly turn, ugly river. What would you do?

Inthacup
07-09-2003, 10:47 AM
Average 5 10 game at Party. Great 5 10 game by internet standards.

UTG+1 open raises, cold called in 4(CC1-CC4) places to me on the button with 5 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif . I call, Sb calls, BB folds. 7 see the flop for 2 bets each.

Flop: 7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

UTG+1 checks, CC1 bets, CC2 folds, CC3 calls, CC4 calls, I raise, SB calls, UTG+1 folds, CC1 calls, CC3 calls, CC4 folds. 3 see the turn.

Turn: 8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

Checked to me, I bet, both call.

River: 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

CC1 checks, CC3 sits there for about 10 seconds then bets, I call, CC1 calls.

Thin decisions: Who bets the turn? Who calls the river? Who raises the river? Who folds?

Results posted later.

MaxPower
07-09-2003, 11:00 AM
I would play it just as you did.

Barry
07-09-2003, 11:07 AM
You hand is too good to fold in a pot this size, but not strong enough to raise. I'd call here and hope CC3 has 2 pair.

If CC1 had checkraised, you could fold in good concience.

ElSapo
07-09-2003, 11:07 AM
I think betting the turn is an easy call - most players are still drawing and you need to charge them. You will have the best hand here the large majority of time time. River, well, I hate it when the board does this. I'd call as well, but couldn't raise. I'd play it the same as you did, and if the third player raised I think it's an obvious fold.

Inthacup
07-09-2003, 04:35 PM
CC1 flips over 33, playing the board. CC3 turns over J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 10 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif for the Jack high straight and he took the pot. Thanks for the replies.

Dynasty
07-09-2003, 05:11 PM
You hand is too good to fold in a pot this size, but not strong enough to raise. I'd call here and hope CC3 has 2 pair.

Barry, it really is a good thing you have a day job. You need to practice reading boards. Nobody can possibly have two-pair on this board.

Inthacup
07-09-2003, 05:23 PM
lol. I saw this too, but I figured I'd just let it go. Would you have played this any differently?

Barry
07-09-2003, 05:28 PM
Oops, me bad. I read it too fast and saw 4 to the str8 and missed the whole thing on the board.

Never mind.

bernie
07-09-2003, 06:50 PM
yeah...that is kinda ugly. a kind of hand where your heart sinks a little more on each street.

no way im raising this. someone will call with a str8 on the board. however, there is a good chance the bettor has you beat. if it was a smaller str8, and the bettor was a guy who would bluff at this pot, you might raise. that's a big question though.

however, if you think for sure it will be split, which im not convinced enough here to do this, but then you can raise to cut the field for a bigger share. ive done that and it's priceless the look on the players who fold's faces.. but again, you have to be very sure its going to be split.

b

HeyUp
07-09-2003, 07:10 PM
Im learning and need some advise on reading hands. Why could there not be 2 pair on this board?

J.R.
07-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Because there is a straight on the board, and in hold'em you play the best five cards, using 2, 1 or 0 of your hole cards.

Tyler Durden
07-09-2003, 11:53 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Barry, it really is a good thing you have a day job. You need to practice reading boards. Nobody can possibly have two-pair on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a nicer way of saying that.