PDA

View Full Version : $30 Single Table NL Tournament on Paradise

Philuva
07-09-2003, 10:07 AM
Level 1, Game 4. On the previous game, a player tripled up with AK against QQ against Q5??? Anyway, in the previous 3 hands there has been significant number of people limping pre-flop.

You start out with a $1,000. Blinds are 5-10. I have $970 at the beginning of this hand.

There are only 9 players left.

UTG folds. UTG+1 raises to $20. Call. Call. Call. I call wil AJo. Fold. SB calls. BB Calls.

7 players and the pot is $140.

FLOP is [ Jh 3h 3d ]

Check, Check, Check, Check, Check, Bet $110, I raise to $300, all fold back to the original better who just calls.

Now heads up with $740 in the pot.

TURN is 3c for a board of [ Jh 3h 3d 3c ]

He goes all-in for $650.

I call all-in.

Thoughts??

Copernicus
07-09-2003, 10:50 AM
Without prior reads on UTG+1 his small raise and just calling the flop sounds like AQ, AJ (discounted for the outstanding Js), AT, KQ, Axs or maybe a small pair. Given the bold move after the trips appear, A3 and AJ get promoted again and small pairs also. A call, expecting to win or split, but a chance of going down to 6 pair.

If he slowplays big pairs, he'll be sorry in the long run!

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-09-2003, 11:17 AM
I think A3 goes all-in on the flop with the flush draw on the board, and he's more likely to be playing a smaller pair like that than AA, KK, or QQ. I think your hand is good with a small possibility of a chop.

punkass
07-09-2003, 03:00 PM
I agree, but I think your hand is good with a large possibility of a chop. I think your opponent got bailed.

But then again, there's a reason you are posting this hand. If you guys chopped, you wouldn't post. With stupid play at paradise poker common (all in with Q5 was it?), he may have made this move with any 3.

There's a small chance your opponent then held a pocket pair and then rivered to have a high boat than yours. But you would've specified the river. And I'm watching too many movies.

I think you lost this one.

Rickfish
07-09-2003, 03:23 PM
I think this is a scary flop when almost the whole table sees the flop. I trust the better to have a J or a 3. What seems the most likely is that he has something like QJ or JT and when the 3 comes on the turn he knows he no longer has to worry about his kicker and he goes all in. Perhaps if he had quads he might try to milk you rather than risk scaring you off. But maybe that was his clever play, he had quads but represented a weaker hand. It is also possible that he hasn't a clue what he's doing. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Now I'm thinking that you probably lost this so what does he have. I know, he had AA, KK or QQ. He was worried when you raised but when the other 3 came he decided it was unlikely that you had one. I see people playing AA like this all the time. I often see people losing with AA playing like this too. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

So you either lose or split. No hand you can beat.

Philuva
07-09-2003, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. I agree with Rickfish on this one. I think I am most likely chopping or behind when I call all-in on the turn. I thought most likely I was chopping though.

So with $740 in the pot already before the $650 turn bet, I thought it was worthwhile to call. Plus, if he had TJ, I was free-rolling with my AJ, as an A on the river would give me a bigger full-house. Or the final 3 would give me the nuts if he did not have the A. This was what actually persuaded me even more to call.

Unfortunately, he turned over QQ. I really didn't expect to see QQ, KK or AA. That is what threw me for a loop. The good thing was I still had 6 outs on the river as any A(3), J(2) or 3(1) gives me the best hand.

Alas a 9 came and I was out.

Given the fact that I was most likely going to chop, I wasn't sure if the turn all-in call was the right move, but I think given I had a card higher than J (specifically the A), made it correct.

Thanks again,
Phil