PDA

View Full Version : Did I wimp out on the river?

MaxPower
07-09-2003, 10:03 AM
Party Poker 3/6 - Very good game

UTG Calls, UTG+1 Calls, Call, Fold, Call (MP), Fold, Fold, Button Calls.
I am in small blind with A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif and raise. BB and all call to MP player who re-raises, Button folds and all Call. Six see the flop.

T /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/club.gif K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

I check (intending to check-raise), BB bets, UTG Calls, UTG+1 calls, Fold, MP raises, I re-reraise, everyone Calls. Five see the turn.

4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

I bet and am called by all 4. River is:

6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

I check. It is checked around and my hand is good.

Ed Miller
07-09-2003, 10:14 AM
When you aren't raised on the turn, you are gtg for the river bet. If you routinely check here, you won't be a winning player.

markc212
07-09-2003, 10:21 AM
Obviously, you are scared of either MP having AA or K's up. Given the flop, you might put him on KT I guess, or he could be looking for a free card with QJ.

Your play on the turn was correct, and given there was no raise behind you, I'd think you'd be safe to bet the river.

Questions to ask yourself:
If you had AA or TT in MP and it was re-raised to you on the flop, wouldn't you have re-re-raised?
If you there was no flush or no serious straights to be made, shouldn't you bet out on the river with top pair, best kicker?

On the other hand, playing Party can be dangerous. There is always a definite possibility that players other than MP had Kx and could've caught K's up. I'd be more worried about players other than MP on the river. Still doesn't mean you should check the river though.

MaxPower
07-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Actually, BB had K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif , UTG had Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif , UTG+1 had 9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif , and MP had 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif .