PDA

View Full Version : your

SinCityGuy
12-03-2005, 02:01 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how often I see “your” and “you’re” used incorrectly in these forums, and to a lesser extent “there”, “their” and “they’re”. I have always assumed that most 2+2 posters are better educated than the typical internet message board posters, but perhaps I’m wrong.

This level of composition is usually taught by the third grade. Do you think that most of the incorrect usages of these words are due to ignorance or laziness?

kipin
12-03-2005, 02:03 AM
http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/sound_sorting/initial_consonants/y/images/yawn.jpg

malokoman
12-03-2005, 02:06 AM
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5991/chilloutcafeb0zy.jpg

diebitter
12-03-2005, 02:07 AM
I'd say a healthy lack of pedantry.

daryn
12-03-2005, 02:08 AM
i don't buy the lazy argument

Dr. Strangelove
12-03-2005, 02:10 AM
but the apostrophe key is too...far.....cant reach...

whiskeytown
12-03-2005, 02:19 AM
just a typo - happens to me all the time and I usually fix it when I spot it.

We're a society that has taken to abbreviating and text-ing and abbreviating so much that it's almost natural to see misspellings and read over them when you read crap like "2 kewl 2 B 4got10"

Hiding
12-03-2005, 02:19 AM
I think your worrying to much about it.

There just on an internet message board.

tdarko
12-03-2005, 02:26 AM
their comes a point when you just need to let things go, your taking this to seriously.

sublime
12-03-2005, 02:29 AM
http://webb.informatik.gu.se/~s03danee/skoj/cares.jpg

craig r
12-03-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think your worrying to much about it.

There just on an internet message board.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

SinCityGuy
12-03-2005, 03:12 AM
Point taken.

Correct spelling and grammar are supposed to be extraneous concepts on an internet message board.

Although, "Your retarded" has to be one of the most unintentionally humorous statements I've seen.

splashpot
12-03-2005, 03:15 AM
This only bothers me when someone writes "your an idiot". And is serious about it. He's just asking to be pwned.

Warik
12-03-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It never ceases to amaze me how often I see “your” and “you’re” used incorrectly in these forums, and to a lesser extent “there,” “their,” and “they’re.”

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. The comma and period go before the closing quote - not after. Also, you need a comma after "their."

By the way, the second part (i.e. fragment) of your sentence is an exemplary display of grammatical n00bage.

I laugh at you; however, I agree with you're original sentiment. Your absolutely right.

Lazymeatball
12-03-2005, 03:31 AM
This is what you are amazed by, random idiots using poor grammar? Hey look, I have a ball, perhaps you would like to bounce it.

gamblore99
12-03-2005, 04:02 AM
I was discussing this the other day with my brother. I do very well in school but have horrible grammer and very bad spelling, especially when I am not paying attention to the grammer/spelling. I am also terrible with names. Compared to how I faire in other measures of intelligence, I thought I might have some sort of minor brain damage. My brother also has these same problems and is very intelligent (He is getting his masters in eng managment at Cornell). He looked into it and found more intelligent people often times focus their attention on areas that are "more important" and filter out things that are not that meaningful. Accordingly when someone is writing out a response they are focusing on the content of what they are saying and not really paying any attention to the grammer. This is consistent with many of the ideas in my Human memory class, though I haven't seen any of his sources.

kipin
12-03-2005, 05:32 AM
Hi lazymeatball,

Only if its shiny!

Hugs and Kisses,
kipin

evil_twin
12-03-2005, 06:09 AM
I'm also pretty astounded just how often people get these two wrong. Even more amazing is people writing "loose" when they mean "lose", this seems to have been on the increase in a big way recently.

Loosers.

daryn
12-03-2005, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It never ceases to amaze me how often I see “your” and “you’re” used incorrectly in these forums, and to a lesser extent “there,” “their,” and “they’re.”

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. The comma and period go before the closing quote - not after. Also, you need a comma after "their."

[/ QUOTE ]

dude.. harvard comma

chesspain
12-03-2005, 08:56 AM
What grates on me is when people incorrectly use I in place of me.

"Bill is going to ride along with Beth and I."

It's as if they were half paying attention when they were corrected for using me instead of I, and they are now trying to sound smart by using I.

housenuts
12-03-2005, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Point taken.

Correct spelling and grammar are supposed to be extraneous concepts on an internet message board.

Although, "Your retarded" has to be one of the most unintentionally humorous statements I've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

your retarded so funny because so many people don't get it. i would say 50% of the english literate population wouldn't find that funny because they wouldn't understand. however to me, it's complete gold.

MelK
12-03-2005, 09:33 AM
This topic belongs in the Spelling Forum. (http://www.filmbug.com/db/568-8)

Eurotrash
12-03-2005, 11:34 AM
lol this definately annoys me. it's borderline rediculous

gabbahh
12-03-2005, 11:52 AM
Mebbe their doing this to piss u of.

daryn
12-03-2005, 03:16 PM
<insert lame joke where i intentionally misspell every other word here>

Eurotrash
12-03-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

except my joke was good! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

RacersEdge
12-03-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It never ceases to amaze me how often I see “your” and “you’re” used incorrectly in these forums, and to a lesser extent “there”, “their” and “they’re”. I have always assumed that most 2+2 posters are better educated than the typical internet message board posters, but perhaps I’m wrong.

This level of composition is usually taught by the third grade. Do you think that most of the incorrect usages of these words are due to ignorance or laziness?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definintely lazy - that's why "ur" exists as well.

man
12-03-2005, 04:28 PM
it annoys me because it trips me up, because I have to stop for a split second to enjoy a moment of disdain and pity.

splashpot
12-03-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that's why "ur" exists as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
"ur" isn't that bad because you know the writer did it intentionally. "Your" just makes you look stupid.

fluxrad
12-03-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that's why "ur" exists as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
"ur" isn't that bad because you know the writer did it intentionally. "Your" just makes you look stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Done intentionally or not, it's still annoying as hell. I'll admit that I'm a prescriptivist when it comes to language, but holy [censored], people.

gabbahh
12-03-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Lame subjects requests lame jokes. Sorry.

Mangatang
12-03-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Point taken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better one is:

Your an dumass.

daryn
12-03-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Point taken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better one is:

Your an dumass.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh, you just reminded me. i hate "an historic"