PDA

View Full Version : invalid boot.ini loading from c:\windows

fluorescenthippo
12-02-2005, 08:02 PM
I was scanning for viruses and playing around with winamp when i got the blue screen on one of my monitors (i have 3 but the default monitor was the only one to get the blue screen).

anyways, i restarted to find this error( maybe the antivirus was scanning the boot.ini file when it froze?) . i googled around and found out that im supposed to use the windows xp cd to repair the boot.ini file. i may have a old xp cd or something because i dont have the option to repair. i can only press C to create or D to delete or press enter. There is no press R for repair option like every website ive been to says there should be.

any ideas?

fluorescenthippo
12-02-2005, 08:13 PM
one thing i just thought of. would it be possible to take the harddrive out of my computer, put it into a working computer as a slave drive, and copy the file over from the working computers boot.ini file?

fluorescenthippo
12-03-2005, 09:01 PM
alright, apparently this is more complex. recovery console cannot recognize anything.

50 bucks to whoever can help me fix this. maybe even 100 bucks or more.

12-06-2005, 08:35 PM
I think your idea for the slave HD might work if the files arent locked.

Your other option would be to find a newer XP disk, maybe there is a recovery program from microsoft?

If not the only thing I can think of would be to attempt to reinstall.