View Full Version : baby animal report

Ray Zee
07-09-2003, 01:25 AM
well the little ones are out.

little turkeys with mom running around by the barn today

five fawns so far with their moms in the fields and woods

merganser and wood duck chicks swimming in the big pond

beavers taking small cottonwood shoots into their den for the baby furry ones

sharp shinned hawk chases me away from the river trail every day as it has a nest somewhere there that i cant find.

little pheasants following mom across the driveway

plus lots of baby birds around their nests and sitting on the fence

summer sure is nice in the north country.
winter is another thing

John Ho
07-09-2003, 02:09 AM
If you have a digital camera take some pictures and put them up on the net. It would be nice to see what all the fuss is about regarding Montana. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Ray Zee
07-09-2003, 03:26 AM
is there an easy way to do that. plus getting wildlife pictures isnt easy

scalf
07-09-2003, 08:25 AM
/forums/images/icons/blush.gif turtles crossing roads more often this year in south carolina,...

might be due to more rainfall...

sometimes gotta stop and help em across busy roads...

conservation in s.c.

p.s. do not try this with snappers...lol..gl /forums/images/icons/club.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Boris
07-09-2003, 12:57 PM
Cute post Ray. Brings back some memories. Like the time I was fishing on Whitefish Lake near where Swift Creek comes in. There was a mother goose and her row of little goslings following her around the lake. Except there was one poor little guy who had hurt is foot and couldn't paddle straight.

He couldn't keep up and was squawking as loud as his cute little gosling lungs would let him. Mommy goose would look back once in awhile and murmer encouragement. That little guy was paddling with all his might with his one good foot. But he just couldn't paddle straight and he was using way too much energy to keep up with the family. As I was trying to catch my dinner I watched the sad scene unfold, the pathetic, desperate squawking ringing in my ears. I knew that before the night was over that goose would be cooked, figuratively speaking.

Dr Wogga
07-09-2003, 03:21 PM
.....I remember fishing a private lake in NJ with my late brother. We had fished this lake extensively and never saw anything more 'wild' than a few geese and swans, when one day, a beaver started circling our boat. He was eyeing us up and down and, just about on every cast either of us made, he would whack his tail on the surface and dive underwater. Come up a few feet from the boat and repeat again! What we didn't realize was that behind the boat and out of our sight, was mommy beaver and a bunch of her kits following along. Turns out the old man was just trying to draw our attention away from the rest of the family. Very, very cool.

Sad local news yesterday in Trenton NJ (in fact it made the front page of our local newspaper), was that 13 turtles were found dead in a local lake supposedly in a "protected area" as designated by the local county Parks Commission and by the DEP. Apparently, the theory going around is that a turtle trapper left his traps completely submerged (vs. partially submerged to allow the turtles an opportuity to breathe).

Ray Zee
07-09-2003, 09:01 PM
see wogga, even a crabby grouch like you has a heart deep within

Ray Zee
07-09-2003, 09:04 PM
scalf its good to help them across as the idiots always run them over. but the reason they go for the jaunt is that they are looking for a place to lay their eggs. so when you pick them up many times you see them pee. but it isnt that. its water that they need to help them lay their eggs. if they expel it they need to go back to water and reload.

Ed I
07-10-2003, 12:17 AM
Saw a turtle crossing the interstate yesterday, wish I would have stopped and helped it across. It had a lane and a half to go.

KJS
07-10-2003, 03:05 AM
Its the onset of rainy season here in Northern Thailand. That means a lot of activity around my house in the woods. Have a frog living in the bathroom floor drain, who I blame for a nasty flood in there the other day. Lots of frogs outside too.

Had a week of flying termite mating last week. These guys come out of the ground at the start of the rains, fly around lights in mass numbers, mate and die. I probably had thousands flying around my house at once. Swept up piles of wings off the porch each morning.

Dusk is a feeding frenzy: moths come out and eat the small bugs, geckos and big lizards munch the moths, neighborhood cats come over and feast on the geckos.

My wife has spotted 3 snakes so far. I've only seen one dead one in the road. The last one she saw was about 2 inches in diameter and 5 to 6 feet long, black with red and white stripes. Local friend said he thought it was a constrictor. Lots of poisonous ones around too, so you have to watch your step walking at night.

Also have great birds, little bamboo squirrels, turtles in the pond, and a symphony of crickets every dusk.

KJS